The downsizing of size classes and you - Are the new "tiny" deluxes a dealbreaker?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Rakhamon, May 2, 2012.

1. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Knock Out is Scout size? Cool. Personally I've been annoyed with the deluxe cars of the last decade. They weren't fitting in with my preferred Diaclones, G2 Laser Rods and other Scout size cars.

I really hope FOC Sideswipe and Jazz come out a similar size. And the Vehicons.

I don't understand why some fans consider scout size Tf's to be less detailed. Some of the nicest TF's out there have been scouts. Yet the same fans gush over Legends. Now those things, I'm not a fan of.

I may well pick up Prime Cliffjumper afterall.

2. Cyclonus79

Cyclonus79 Decepticon General

Ebay:
    I dont really mind the TFP line being smaller then it probably should , but as for the Generations line , thats just going to suck. Im not sure what other G1 cast members there going to be coming out with , but I hope there bot modes arent noticeably shorter then there predecessors.

3. Acteon

Acteon Overworked

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For me, yes. Like most other collectors, I'll pick up the few exceptional characters, but I'm otherwise done. A real shame, but I suppose it'll leave more money for the real collectors pieces like MP Sideswipe.

4. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If they get any smaller than they already are, then they will be a dealbreaker for me.

5. Sumner Sturgeon

Sumner Sturgeon It's not easy being the best~

This whole "new Deluxes are SCOUTS!!1" thing makes no sense to me-- I own new Deluxes, ones from a few years back, and real Scouts, and there's a very noticeable size difference.

6. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

I couldn't care less. This is one of the stupidest things to complain about in my eyes.

7. Hype1

Hype1 D Witwicky biographer

Since I started collecting Alternators and Master Piece figs, the ONLY other class that I plan on getting is voyager...but it the voyagers are dropping in size it's gonna bother me a whole helluva lot!

8. Sumner Sturgeon

Finally, someone in this thread starts making sense.

9. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

In all seriousness, how is this a stupid complaint? The figures are smaller and made of poorer quality plastic with less paint apps than ever before yet they cost the same. I feel it's an entirely valid discussion to have.

10. fa11enwing

fa11enwing Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    smaller deluxe figures' not a dealbreaker for me, it's just that i don't have disposable income and limited space that forces me to be selective of my purchases.

Besides, Hasbro kinda have to do it and it's understandable. Enjoy the new ones for what they are.

11. Sumner Sturgeon

Again, size means nothing to me, and as the guy right above me said, it's actually helpful when you lack ample storage space. The paint can be easily chalked up to understandable cost issues (and besides, thanks to Takara apparently losing their minds lately, we're still getting more paint than the Japanese releases), and the poorer quality plastic thing seems like a complete myth to me. My newer Transformers are no more prone to breakages than my older ones.

12. Megatron276

Megatron276 destroyer

Its not even a huge size difference i dnt buy generations....ssooo no skin off my back

13. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I'm not saying they're necessarily prone to breakages, they just feel 'cheap' and thin and IMO don't have a nice look about them.
    I can totally understand they reasons behind why all the changes have happened as they have over the past year or so, but speaking only for myself, it's gone too far in a direction that I'm just happy with, at least to pay out the kind of money for figures that I used to.

It's great if you're one of the people who don't mind the smaller scale nowadays, but I'm just not one of them.

14. Sumner Sturgeon

I dunno...this "cheap" thing seems entirely subjective to me. I don't feel that way at all about any of my recent purchases, and frankly, I'm not even sure what the criteria for qualifying as "cheap" are.

Conversely, it's entirely fine by me for you to think the way you do, I just feel like I have trouble understanding some of the complaints people are making about toy quality these days. Frankly, I think there are a bunch of other matters that are much more worthy of complaining about-- like distribution, for one thing. The actual quality of the product hasn't changed in my eyes.

15. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    How do you figure on either of those counts?

Any changes in plastic quality over the last decade are entirely psychosomatic, in my opinion. Don't like the new toys for some nebulous reason? Blame plastic quality, never fails. We've been down this road every single new toyline that gets released.

I swear, complainers' fingers must have embedded electron microscopes or something, if they can detect the imperceptibly minute differences in the plastic quality of toys over the span of G2 through to today, for the above statement to be true.

Ditto on the paint apps count. You just complain when blatantly obvious apps like wheel hubs are omitted, but I'm sure if you were to actually start counting off the paint apps across releases, you'd find a pretty good consistency throughout the toylines.

I can't begin to get myself all worked up over what's maybe a half-head's worth of height, especially when the immediate comparisons are usually made to larger-than average figures.

The new figures ain't really any "smaller", than say, the Classics Seekers. Of course the things are going to compare infavourably to Universe Sunstreaker/Prowl or Generations Drift. Those guys are above average, some of the tallest Deluxes (outside of maybe A/E/C's sometimes jumbo-sized toys) to date not named Lockdown.

I certainly never hear people complain (or at least, make note of) how small Beast Wars or RiD Deluxes are, when many of those happen to be just as short as the new toys, and often quite lanky.

16. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

No, absolutely. Of course the 'cheap' debate is a subjective one. The best way i can explain my view on the matter is to hold an average RotF deluxe on one hand and a PRiD deluxe in the other and just feel the weight of the toys and how dense the plastic is and the finish of it, how it is painted etc. I dunno, there are certain elements to a figure that define its quality in my eyes, and lately that just seems to be lacking.

It's not that I'm even sat here complaining about it as such, I just feel that the new direction of the toyline just isn't to my tastes. I'm quite envious of those who don't mind it or even embrace it, as it has drained a good deal of the enjoyment out of collecting for me, and the anticipation of new figures and so on.

17. Nefud

Nefud Well-Known Member

You're 100% right, of course. I'd love to get your back on this issue in a more thorough way, but you can only lead a horse to water so many times. I'm so tired of trying to prove the sky is blue in regards to the plastic quality issue.

18. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've done that almost every single time the complaint is brought up, and each time, there's nothing conclusive.

Yes, the toy isn't going to be as heavy as the older RotF Deluxes because they are unquestionably smaller. But that doesn't reflect accurately on quality or anything. The only way you'd be able to determine that is to disassemble the figures and compare roughly similar parts to one another, and I find it doubtful you'd find anything.

There's nothing scientific about your comparisons. It's very easy to bias yourself against one toy over the other, where you're more likely to make unfavourable conclusions.

And similar with the paints. The immediate thoughts, of course, go to Sideways, Sideswipe, and HA Jazz, with their gloriously silver-y alt. modes.

But then, go back and look at those figures in robot mode. You'll find that they have almost no additional paint-apps besides their face. And then also note that the first wave Sideswipe and Sideways were packed in a case assortment with Rampage and Breakaway, both of whom had comparatively little paint.

19. Nefud

Nefud Well-Known Member

It's not like all the not-silver guys recently (HA Soundwave, DOTM Megatron, DOTM Sideswipe) made up for it with a killer number of complex paint apps....

20. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

I haven't bought a lot of stuff that is "downsized" (I have no PRID or DOTM deluxes), so I don't have much of an opinion. But from what I've seen it IS enough of a downsize to mess with scale and such. I dislike it. Also, when they slap huge pointless weapons on toys it makes things much worse too. MechTech, Powerizer weapons, etc. need to die. I don't even think kids like them. I remember having toys with huge weapons and they couldn't even lift their damn arms and it pissed me off even as a child!