The downsizing of size classes and you - Are the new "tiny" deluxes a dealbreaker?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Rakhamon, May 2, 2012.

1. Rakhamon

Rakhamon Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Hey guys.

I am not entirely sure if I'm concerned just yet, but the fact that the FOC toys shown at BotCon seem to be of the Prime RiD scale is a bit ominous. If it's going to be a trend from now on that both Deluxe and Voyager toys are going to be smaller, it will create a bit of an incongruity on my toy shelf. I would have preferred if the FOC and WfC deluxes were of roughly the same scale, and if the new ones are truly a head shorter than the old ones, it bodes ill.

If they choose to pick up the "classics" G1 updates in 2013 and they will be of this new, smaller size, does that mean they will start all over again and we'll get another Bumblebee, Prime etc? Not a situation I'd like.

Anyway, what are your thoughts on this downscaling trend?

2. bossman328

bossman328 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    as long as the figures don't suck...I'm fine with the smaller size

3. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    one thing I've liked over the years was that deluxes have been around the same size since Armada and only really gotten smaller the last few lines. so that kinda sucks

Now if the price is right I dont mind the step down however if they keep at this £13 price I will just be getting Shockwave and call it a day.

As for the toys well the RiD car bros were maybe around the same size as these guys so I dont see why the FOC toys cant be just as cool.

4. manyoufactsure

manyoufactsure Maximal TFW2005 Supporter

Definet deal breaker. I'll still buy a few cool ones but I will be looking elsewhere for toys that are comparable, to customize, (crossover etc) or ill be spending more on Third Party customs. I would rather have Hasbro quality at a higher price then have a different size.

5. scoobsterinc

scoobsterinc Scoobs

News Credits:
    Smaller molds = Less detail and less accuarcy

6. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

It's one of the reasons I'm getting out of collecting. I can't really afford to buy any figures these days full stop, but seeing how cheap and tiny the newer generation of toys is becoming (already is!) it just makes me think that fate has given me the push I need to stop spending my money on stuff that just isn't worth it IMO.

A lot of the DotM voyagers were no bigger than the deluxes of a few years ago and I just don't think I can stomach paying normal retail prices for figures that have been downsized to that degree.
    I can fully understand the reasons behind it all, what with the global economy and fuel prices yadda yadda yadda, but when it's my hard earned money I'm being asked to part with, well I just don't think it's for me any more.

The nail in the coffin was my purchase of Prime RiD Bumblebee. One of the worst figures I have ever owned, not just because of the size, but because of how cheap and nasty the pastic felt and the corners that have seemingly been cut in the design.

I just don't think the current form of the toys are for me.

7. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For Classics, it kind of sucks, cause then I'll have a bunch of smaller figures next to pretty big ones. But for stuff like PRiD I don't really care.

In the case of FoC it's sort of good because then Optimus and Megatron from the first Generations line will be taller than most of the new figures *shrug*

8. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    your making my Alternity Convoy cry... but then his detail was laser cut with the power of 1000 black holes as is common with all alternity stuff.

9. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Not for me, I have Beast Wars deluxe figures that are either the same height as the Prime deluxe figures or shorter. So for me this is no big deal, I'm kind of used to this size for deluxe figures.

10. Silk Spectre

Silk Spectre The Evil Queen

Mostly - the answer is yes.

I can't say I'll avoid ALL new upcoming figures, but I definitely get a "not worth it to me" feeling with the smaller size, cheaper plastic and overall quality downgrade of the new stuff. It's going to make me extremely selective, and I've already passed on figures/lines because of it.

11. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    I'm not lying when I say that smaller figures at a higher prices won't cross my mind... but hopefully they will be worth it.

12. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    Yes and no. I understand *why* it's happening, I can definitely recognize some new "gems" like Soundwave and Wheeljack, yet I don't like it.

As others have said, despite the above average shows\media behind them and despite the fact that even though they are smaller they are not simpler, bottom line is I'm still paying MORE money for LESS plastic and gimmicks that, unlike superlinking, cyber keys and mech alive, I don't really enjoy.

Thus, I'm only currently spending my pennies for things that set a milestone in the franchise and\or I have a special attachment to the character or entertainment source.

13. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    Scramble City Combiner. 5 unique molds. No combiner kibble. I don't care that it's neon, $75, and slightly smaller than the 4 WfC molds (one of which is too big; two of which should be a little larger), I'm grabbing that bastard the second I see him.

14. Maetel

Maetel Well-Known Member

wouldn't mind it so much if hasbro actually kept price same with smaller size, but they're now smaller and cost more so it's definitely deal breaker.

deluxe knock out is so pathetically small, he's smaller than rotf scout dune runner and costs $12.50-$14 + almost 10% California tax, $15 for a scout size toy just doesn't seem right to me.

15. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't really care.

16. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Pic?

17. Sumner Sturgeon

Sumner Sturgeon It's not easy being the best~

It's not a dealbreaker at all for me, and frankly, I don't see where most of this stuff is even coming from anyway. Size doesn't bother me, as long as engineering continues to advance (and it has, regardless of what various alarmist factions will tell you), and in fact it's actually a boon to me, in that it allows me to own more figures without worrying as much about my very limited storage space.

On top of that, I'm finding myself in a position (financially, that is) to actually own the majority of the figures I want for the first time in...well, ever, really. And on top of that, I find myself really enjoying the direction the recent lines have been going in-- I'm not about to pass up this opportunity just because some people are crying foul over small hang-ups. Haters will always hate-- that is a universal constant. I'm determined not to let them drag me down with them.

18. Nefud

Nefud Well-Known Member

"Dealbreaker" is a strong word. I understand why Hasbro is doing this, but I wish they would simply charge more instead of decreasing size/quality. I'd rather pay $20 for the modern equivilent of a Beast Wars Deluxe (in terms of detail/plastic quality/size) than shell out $12.99 for something slightly larger than a Beast Wars Basic made out of crap plastic. Not saying that'd be a smart move from a retail business perspective, but it's what I'd prefer.

I'll probably keep riding this trend until it does become a "dealbreaker". That point may be the FOC deluxes, but probably not. I'll pick up Starscream and Bruticus for sure. But some characters like Shockwave and Magnus are just hilariously undersized, which is a real shame as the designs/sculpts are pretty great.

19. DionCon

DionCon Member

Deal breaker? Definitely. Especially because I'm paying more for less. My most recent example would be RiD Ratchet compared to RiD Cliffjumper. Same price but Ratchet is a bigger and better figure.

20. Zeitgeist

Zeitgeist Well-Known Member

yeah, so... shockwave is pretty much TO SMALL to even work with the already too small astrotrain and decepticon seekers in my classics cllection.

ill have to wait for a 3p to hook me up with something i want like usual.