The downside to the new animated series (toys)?

Discussion in 'Transformers Animated Discussion' started by Steevy Maximus, May 10, 2007.

1. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Movie Megs eats your soul

News Credits:
    I seem to recall back during Armada or Energon, when pressured about getting the cartoon back into western hands, Hasbro indicated there would be tradeoffs, notably more non-show characters and more than one version of main characters.
    Beast Wars had it, but it was most notable during Beast Machines where we (technically, some versions didn't see release until RID) got:
    3 Cheetors
    3 Optimus primals
    2 Megatrons
    2 Jetstorms (technically 3 if you count Sonic Attack Jet as a drone)
    2 Tankors (original and "show accurate" drone)
    2 Thrusts (see above)
    With rumors of second versions of Obsidion and Silverbolt, all released in over a year and a half period (minus the second megatron and third Optimus, which ended up in the tail end of Robots in Disguise, but were completed and planned for release during Beast Machines).

I know there are a LOT of fans who weren't around back in 2000, and I wonder how the response will be from newer collectors and fans about how some view this. Some of you post RID guys want to chim in?

2. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    Yes, there will be more non-show characters, since the writers will be more inclined to focus on a core group whose personalities, histories and motivations can be elaborated on. Characters will get more than one toy because fans will be much more likely to buy three versions of a character they've grown to like than one whose character was seen in the background of a big fight scene.

3. shockwave2005

shockwave2005 Well-Known Member

I feel that it will be great. I like having a choice as to which version of a character I like the most toywise.

4. teejay00

teejay00 i hate mods

couldnt have said it better myself.

plus i remember thinking "who's this guy" at the store during beastwars and machines runs. i would much rather trade off knowing every toy counterpart for a decent story.

5. thoughtcrime

thoughtcrime Well-Known Member

I'm surprised Hasbro would go back to this way of doing business. As I recall, non-show characters were always slow sellers.

6. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm failing to see how different this really is from what's always been going on. Every TF series has non-show (or non-comic) toys and more than one version of some popular characters (though in some longer-running series they are spread out over a matter of years).

The only real argument I see is how in a western show which may have a smaller overall cast than the A-E-C shows, the use of extra non-show toys and character repeats may have a bigger impact since Hasbro has been putting out more TF toys per year than they used to in the days of BW/BM.

7. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    One thing that might offset that is if they include Earth robots in the line. They're a big part of the overall story, so it wouldn't be out of the question.

8. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    You can't make a story that's even bearable if you throw in 50 characters. I think the Unicron Trillogy we just suffered through proved that...

So 5 guys or so on each side would be GREAT news. It would be wonderful to be able to tollerate a TF cartoon again. :) 

And yeah, Hasbro will need more than 10 toys, so non-show characters ahoy. Some of the best toys ever were non-show (Armorhide and Downshift for starters).

9. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm wondering how the toys will look myself. SW had both Animated and Real looking figures for their Clone Wars series. I can't see any toy line they can come up with that would be able to copy the animation in toy form without suffering the same kind of bruhaha as the movie characters are.

10. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Movie Megs eats your soul

News Credits:
    I'm thinking we'll see a situation akin to G1 or Beast Machines, in which the designs are stylized for the cartoon series, but the actual toys will be their own thing (both toy Jetstorms differ significantly form the animation model in Beast Machines for example).

If we get any "stylized figures" it will be in the 3" Titanium or 6" Unleashed lines (assuming that either continue after the film), but I don't see anything like the movie's "Real Action" figures (the articulated Action Masters).

Something I do see is that if headsculpt differ enough, we might see the head design evolve between multiple versions of the toy eventually coming close to a "show accurate" version, like what happened with Cheetor with Beast Machines.

11. CrockAlley

CrockAlley Gween donkey! Mine!

That's sort of what I was thinking. I can imagine Hasbro and the cartoon designers having little communication, thus resulting in differing appearances (just like BM), but then Hasbro adjusting to fit the cartoon aesthetic for the later toys.

I hope not, though. I hope Hasbro and the cartoon people collaborate, so designs match up.

12. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

Beast Wars and Beast Machines had just the right amount of characters. They need to remember that with the new cartoon. We don't need another Rebirth episode that introduces 90 new characters in 4 minutes. :lol 

13. Screambug

Screambug King of Transformers

[whine]

I just hope it's a complete revival of G1 Transformers and nothing more.

[/whine]

:tongue: 

14. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    If the animated series line does what Beast Machines did and what the Movie is doing by offering different pricepoints for the major characters, I'd be all over it. I prefer the smaller TFs (easier to store, easier on the wallet, and generally "feel" better to play about with.) That's the size I always end up enjoying most, Deluxe - not too big, yet big enough to incorporate a decent amount of complexity and design.

15. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    They were??? :lol 

16. Nerroth

Nerroth Alea iacta est.

News Credits:
    Well, if IDW do a comic series based on the line, I wouldn't be surprised if the non-show figures are featured in some form or other.

See the example of the spare Cybertron characters who show up in 'Balancing Act'.

Gary

17. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    ... followed by a Marvel comic issue where 20 new characters introduce themselves by name in a pseudo-casual roll call.

Exactly how the toys and cartoon relate probably depends largely on how much communication there is between the designers at Hasbro and Cartoon network, and how much lead time for pre-visualization between the two.

I suspect something along the lines of G1 visually, though not quite as extreme. The cartoon models and toys will look largely the same, with the cartoon characters simplified and idealized and tweaked to fit the style of the show. I just wonder if the toys themselves will look much the same as previous TF toys, or if they will have a more cartoon-oriented style to them.

18. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    I would kind of like that, really. They would have character.

19. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Or in Beast Wars: the Gathering

Lotsa non show characters, who always seemed cooler than the ones we saw on TV.

Giant Torca FTW!

20. Nerroth

Nerroth Alea iacta est.

News Credits:
    True - and don't forget Magmatron, Lio Convoy and Big Convoy!

(The Cybertronian designs for the various characters were great, too - Don is the man!)

Gary