The Do's & Don'ts at BotCon

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by Riot1913, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Riot1913

Riot1913 Active Member

X

Last edited: Feb 13, 2023
  2. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's been my experience that they are free to sign anything they want to. For the most part there will be times set up where you can line up for an Autograph, but if you happen to catch one of them in the hall or at the hotel, if you ask, they may likely will sigh something for you or pose for pics with you.

I'd not bother them while they're eating dinner or in a hurry to get to a panel tho.

3. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

Every convention I've been to, they always insist "don't approach the guests in the halls for autographs - ONLY use the official signing sessions", but everyone still does it. Obvioulsy being rude and butting into a conversation or while their eating is a no-no (that's common courtesy anyway).

4. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Do bring lots of cash - most dealers don't accept debit/credit cards and the ATMs run out quickly. Besides, you can never have too much cash on hand!

Do wear deodorant - even though you'll be in a large room (dealer's room), there will be a lot of people crammed into the same area. Do us all a favor and use that Right Guard! (you'd be surprised at how many people don't do this)

Do get there early - no matter which day you arrive, the lines can always be long so be prepared.

Do bring a book bag - all of those purchases mount up quickly and dealers don't always have bags to give you.

Do bring your want list - have an idea before going in of what you want to pay for said TF or part. You can shop around and find some good deals, but if you wait too long that TF you had your eye on is bound to be gone!

Do attend the panels - the Hasbro panel each and every year is one of the best...but don't ignore the others either. The board wars trivia was pretty good last year...although some of the TFW2005 staff had some very lame answers for what I thought were easy questions.

Don't be rude - you would think that's common sense, but some people seem to lack that. Don't pick up that $100 toy on a dealer's table without first asking to see it. Don't be a jerk to other fans or cut in front of people in line. Again, I see it every year.

Don't wear shorts to the dinner - FP asks people to conform to the "smart dress" attire for Saturday night's dinner, however lots of people ignore this.

I'm sure there are lots of other good points I've left out, but I'm sure the other members will que you in. Just remember to have fun...it's a great couple of days, even if you are dead broke by the end of Sunday!

5. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    flywheels covered most of it beautifully, let me highlight two key points IMO

and

But to add to this second one, don't wear a t-shirt to the dinner either. They have already told us smart casual, which means a shirt with a collar. We all know this in advance so if you cannot follow this simple rule, then don't go to the dinner...plain and simple.

6. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

Another to add to the list

This kind of ties into Flywheels' "Don't be rude", but also

Be Sociable - Everyone at BotCon is there for one thing, to have a good time. After all it's pretty much the only venue (not discounting other TF Cons of course) where fellow fans are gathered up in 1 place. And in some people's cases it's their first Convention. So leave a good impression say hi and in some cases if you're in a line up waiting for a panel or something. And you see a collector with a cool purchase. Compliment him/her on it. You never know, your hello might just brighten the day of a fellow fan :) 

Leave internet gripes on the internet - We're all fellow board members and just because you may butt heads with someone online. Or just generally not like their opinions on board topics. Leave those gripes at the door, in some cases simply try striking up a conversation with said member anyway. You may find he/she's an okay person and may develop a sort of friendship.

And about the deorderant thing I'd like to add shower and brush your teeth. Not showering but using right guard in my personal experience still leaves a sort of funky smell. And talking to someone with dragon breath is NOT a fun experience

7. unicron's blues

unicron's blues I need to get rich!

Agreed, basically personal hygiene of any kind is strongly recommended. But I agree with basically what everyone else has said, have an idea what you're looking for and try and show up early(I'm not the best at that) and be courteous to others as much as possible.

8. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Moderator

News Credits:
    DONT forgot to wear your sneakers.

9. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    How on earth could I have forgot to mention that?!

10. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Already covered the important stuff, but I'll repeat a few of my personal key points.

-Please bathe. It's 5-10 minutes out of your morning, and despite the excitement please keep in mind that you'll not miss entire panels. The more this message spreads, the greater chance that the foul funk of mankind's primal state will more or less be dissapated.

-Be kind to new convention goers. There are many of us who have been to many a convention, and it can be easy to forget that some are experiencing their first one. If hearing an "old" question truly bothers you, take the time to inform people of the tried and true answers that you've heard at previous cons. Joking about "the usual Qs" is fine (and perhaps even helpful to newbies), though. That said...

-When you feel the urge to ask the voice actors how to get into the business, I can assure you that their answer will likely be along the lines of "get an agent, look into doing radio, take acting lessons, keep a day job, persevere despite the industry's cruelties, etc". Unless it's Michael Bell. He'll badass it up and tell you that doing an impression doesn't mean you can act (I think his panel is out there in MP3 form somewhere...).

-Guests and speakers are there on their own time, and are -not- expected to deal with rude and/or argumentative people. Stating you don't like something and asking why it happened are perfectly valid questions at a panel, but delivering them loudly and angrily are not welcome at all. That said...

-If someone asks a question in which they state an opinion you do not agree with, please for the love of civility don't try and get a crowd of people to boo or shout at them. It's fun if you know the person and things are friendly, but I've seen it where the crowd devolves to "IT SUCKED!" and "IT ROCKED!", leaving the panel guest somewhat out of the loop.

-"Smart casual" means pants that go down to your ankles + a shirt with a collar (in the case of guys, who are usually the majority). If you truly desire to buck the dress code request, please do not get defensive and offended when those who adhered to it act a little unwelcoming.

-If any of you get into a loud opinion argument during the movie screening, I'll bludgeon both sides with a Fort Max that's been dipped in glue and glass shards.

11. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    Here's another thing. For a lot of the guests, specifically voice actors, Transformers was just a job. They may not have even seen any of the episodes they voiced so don't expect them to know the entire TF mythos.

12. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    I aint gonan attend botcon but wouldent it be easier just to sum up all these rules in one normal rule.

Act like a normal human beeing and treat other ppl that u want to be treated

Or is that to much to ask ? ;) 

13. neospark1

neospark1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It is still amazing that we have to point this stuff out to people, cause you know the ones who do it will read this and never bath again until after Botcon.

:eek: 

14. neospark1

neospark1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Except for Scott McNeil. He remembers everything. Everything I say! :D 

15. xZAOx

xZAOx Yep.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just curious - who the hell cares what you wear at the dinner? As long as it's decent - aka what you'd wear out in the dealer room, what does it matter?

16. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

Because what one would wear at the dealer room is TOTALLY casual. This dinner is something special. Thus out of respect different attire is the proper thing to do. And if the majority of us can clean up a bit, put on nice clothes and some colgne/perfume. Then really there's no reason no one else can. Besides that the Convention organizers dress up too. Besides that's it's REALLY a simple request from the organizers. It's not like ditching the jean shorts, sneekers and wife-beater for a few hours will kill you.

Last year I had some women compliment my clothes last year. And honestly that felt good. So if looking nice gets me compliments, then I'm all for it ;) 

17. xZAOx

xZAOx Yep.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    But my wife beater has the sweet stains at the armpits! I've been working all year to get them that awesome shade of yellow!

Personally, I dress up everyday for work as it is. Before this job (last job didn't care), I didn't have any "nice" clothes, not really. Just my interview outfit. And granted, not having the clothes shouldn't be an excuse - you're paying *how* much to get the Primus package again? A $20 shirt that you'll surely find another use for later won't kill you.

I can swing a collared shirt and pants, that's fine, and I will, I still just think it's silly for a convention to ask for a certain attire.

18. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The dinner's -always- requested "smart casual" as long as I can remember, usually right on the paperwork.

It's mostly because (at least in past), the dinner was done very formally. That and, well, it's the organizers' perogative.

That said, hopefully it won't be another buffet disaster this year. Or at least they'll get enough food ordered up. ;) 

19. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Food Truck or BMW Moderator

News Credits:
    Ditto on the cash thing.

As for the deodorant/shower/bathe thing, that's a must. Though, I have to give my fellow BotCon'ers this: I've been to my share of Star Wars, Trek, Anime, and Comic conventions and BotCon has and always will have the BEST convention hygiene hands-down. And that's not just in comparison. I wish my students were as clean as most of the TransFans I see year after year.

20. BigPhill

BigPhill Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Don't forget someone's comment last year of unpleasant "arse bombs".

In a packed and warm area like the dealers room something like that can be rather sickening. If you feel the need to "let one go" then please make sure you go to the wc/toilet to do it.