The Discovery shuttle

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by QLRformer, Feb 28, 2012.

1. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    The space shuttle orbiter Discovery was used in the film. Awesome, but I don’t know why it was attached to the Xanthium when it could be removed. There were no humans going with the Autobots, nor could all/most of the robots fit in it, let alone pilot it.

Also it was a shame Bay had to blow it up. It would have made a historic Omega Supreme or Sky-Lynx, or even Astrotrain.

2. RedWolf

RedWolf Well-Known Member

Discovery was intact when the Xantium blew up. Whether it was in one piece upon reentry is another matter.

3. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    While I agree it would have been epic if the Discovery shuttle turned out to be OS or Astrotrain, CGI ain't cheap.

4. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    Honestly, there was probably no reason other than it looked cool for the scene to take place against the background of NASA awesomeness. Was the shuttle essential? No. Did it look hella cool when you have an Earth shuttle and the Xanthium in the shot together? You bet.

And as RedWolf stated, the CG version of the Discovery was last seen intact as it plummeted to the ground. Of course, it would end up trashed, but hey, nothing is stopping them from making up a fictional name for a fictional shuttle in a fictional story in TF4 if they wanted, even if they're no longer sending shuttles into space anymore. I'm sure that the story could call (if they wanted/needed) for NASA to build a new shuttle for the Autobots/human protagonists. If they needed a shuttle, get NASA's approval and get ILM to work their magic.

5. Hoptimus

Hoptimus How I roll.

FWIW, a real NASA shuttle would have probably broken up in that situation. That's what happened to Challenger, she was torn apart by aerodynamic forces, not by explosive forces. I think maybe NASA didn't want to have a shuttle break up that way on screen.

As for why the shuttle was there at all, as TylerMirage put it, it was just a beautiful sight. But maybe they put Optimus' trailer in there, it would probably fit. :p 

6. Rayzilla Prime

Rayzilla Prime I RIP ALL MY RAZE!

The Xanthium likely came to Earth as a piece of junk, and Discovery was just a readily-available piece of machinery laying around the Wreckers were able to integrate into the existing design.

Also notice Discovery is attached during the flight to the moon. I'm guessing it was a permanent piece of the Xanthium.

7. RedWolf

RedWolf Well-Known Member

It wasn't.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What was attached always was the fuel tank and booster rockets.

8. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

BS Sector 7 explanation: The space shuttle was reverse-engineered from part of the Xantium. What you see is just the Autobot crew lounge and restroom.

9. Bern

Bern Pathetic fools!

News Credits:
    Ebay:

Assuming it could be remote piloted: the Space Shuttle Main Engines' additional thrust is required for liftoff.

[​IMG]

They may seem small comparatively, but they are still the most powerful engines in the world.

10. IaconStargazer

IaconStargazer Maximal

The first space shuttle launch was in the early 1980s, while the Xantium brought the second wave of Autobots to Earth, which was sometime between 2007 and 2009.

(Unless you somehow mean the exact space shuttle that's attached to the Xantium.)

11. Rayzilla Prime

Rayzilla Prime I RIP ALL MY RAZE!

Ah, I assumed it was attached because of the fuel tank and boosters. I see now.

But maybe it WAS, and there are humans along for the ride; the shuttle detaches and humans do whatever they need to do with it. I guess they sorta kill two birds with one stone (so to speak) - the Autobots do their thing, NASA does theirs.

12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    It was to "maintain human control." Also since it didn't break up, maybe it was reinforced and that's where the Autobots were hiding. (since none of the booster rockets actually seperate before the explosion, though it's possible they didn't blow up)

13. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    "Also since it didn't break up, maybe it was reinforced and that's where the Autobots were hiding. (since none of the booster rockets actually seperate before the explosion, though it's possible they didn't blow up)."

Possibly. Leadfoot mentions: "We were hidden in the first booster rocket to separate. Splashed down in the Atlantic just, as planned."

The shuttle thus might have been part of the plan; once they landed in the Atlantic they could fly it to dry land and then head to Chicago or something. Guess the Decepticons didn't do a good job finishing them off :p