The Dinobots Alt Mode Isn't Much Of A Disguise.

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by GrimlockAutobot, Jul 25, 2008.

1. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Me No Bozo Me King!!

News Credits:
    Let me just say that the dinobots are among my favorite TF characters of all time. I mean look at my username after all!! I am in no way bashing the dinobots....I love 'em all!!

But, I was sitting here thinking about their alt modes and how pointless being a dinosaur is. With most transformers, an alt mode serves two purposes. function and disguise. When a Transformer is a car or a plane the alt mode helps it to drive or fly away.

When you're a dinosaur, your alt mode is used to smash and breath fire on things. (which is pretty cool in itself.) But, it isn't much of a disguise.

When a Transformer becomes a car or a plane for example, no one notices them but, when they become a dinosaur, someone who saw them would probably say "Oh my God a giant Dinosaur!!"

It's what's keeping them out of the 2nd TF movie as well. No one could explain a dinosaur walking the earth again.

So what to you think about this topic?

2. luke4

luke4 crocon

its wheeljacks f@#king fault. he could hav made pandas...

3. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Well...yeah........

I agree with everyone that says the dinobot's alt modes aren't really disguises because....frankly....they aren't, but the fit the characters. Love me some dinobots.

For the movie, though, they could always choose some intimidating vehicles for them. Grimlock could be a Monster truck, Swoop a badass jet, etc...

4. CryoPrime

CryoPrime Cody A.

They just found the bones and were like "Hey these look awwweesomeee. Let's make TF's out of them!" So they did. "Wheeljack"

5. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

In G1 the Dinobots always seemed to fight best in their Dino modes, so with them it wasn't about being in disguise, it was about being a better warrior.

However, I personally feel that, at least Grimlock anyway, could work in the film because of a Dino mode. It would allow him to be a force in and of himself, causing havoc and destruction, like a good Dino-bot should, where ever he went. With Dino-bots it's not about blending in, it's about being the strongest.

6. y2jversion1

y2jversion1 Rent this space today!

Ebay:
    Then they'd be called the Stunticons... :p 

7. Ironhide2005

Ironhide2005 PS3tag=DeaDPooLTFW

News Credits:
    Me pandalock king!!!!

8. luke4

luke4 crocon

exactly! some one understands!

9. Silent_Magnus

Silent_Magnus Taint of Primus

News Credits:
    Alt modes are not just for disguise.
    I doubt the autobots would use the Dinobots for a recon mission.

Unless it was at some sort of "robotic dinosaur" convention.

10. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    Beyond the big honkin' tires and the engine, there's really nothing but rollcage inside a monster truck.

11. TheJedi

TheJedi Autobot

Make them triple-changers... problem solved. :) 

Robot mode, disguise mode (vehicle), battle mode (dinosaurs).

Might look a bit strange still... but it could work, if the dinosaurs would look alien or stylized enough.

12. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Why does it have to be a disguise? Ignoring the G1 comic's somewhat retarded explanation (dinosaurs on Earth 4 million years ago? Hmm), the dinosaur modes were never about disguise. I'd rather the Dinobots were left out of a show/movie than have them shoehorned into vehicle modes.

13. TheJedi

TheJedi Autobot

If I think again... after all that trouble in Mission City, people know about the existence of the Transformers - and particularly: They know that the Autobots are on their side.

So indeed, Autobot members should have no real reason to disguise, except if the disguises also worked with the Decepticons, of course.

14. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    This is what happens when you try to shoe-in existing toys into a new series.

This! and for a good example... The head Master Snapdragon.

15. Rodr-Evil

Rodr-Evil Lucifer's children TFW2005 Supporter

16. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

It was a disguise when Grimlock and crew got to earth thousands of years ago to fight shockwave, and apparently Grimlock invented beast modes for energon protection.

17. MGX

MGX Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sigh...

Megatron keeping his alien Cybertronian jet alt mode isn't much of disguise EITHER. And no one disputes that one.

Some Transformers don't want to hide. Since the Autobots are now friends to humans, there isn't as much need to hide from hostile humans.

The Dinobots were "panic button" characters. If the shit hit the fan, the Autobots called on them. Now imagine if they were in Mission City when all the fighting went down and disguise was useless?

18. MGX

MGX Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No one can explain a giant scorpion, either...

The Dinobots alt modes are functional. They don't want to hide. By the time the Autobots call the Dinobots, the shit has officially hit the fan with injured Autobots strewn all over. At that point, the disguise aspect has been passed. Grimlock bites. Slag rams things. Snarl tail wacks things. Swoop divebombs. Sludge causes groundquakes. And that's not counting energy blasts and firebreathing.

Things the Autobots can't do in vehicle mode. Their alt modes are more for transportation and disguise more than anything.

19. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Technically, I think Scorponok's alt mode was part of Blackout's engine, so his robot mode WAS the scorpion. Personally, I think it's insane that a Michael Bay film will rule something out because they "can't justify it." Gee, can you justify the sun setting about once every ten minutes? Or your title characters receiving less screentime than Shia LasmeggingBeouf? Goddam talentless hacks.

20. starscream.pt

starscream.pt Well-Known Member

it's also wheeljack0's fault making them brainless beasts