The Dev Team has soft unlocked the 3G iPhone

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Jux, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

Dev-Team Blog

Giggity giggity!

No more having to use a chip from Hong Kong to get my phone to work on T-Mobile.

2. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    Nothing personal Jux, do what you wanna do, but why do people feel the need to "hack" their cell phones? It's like taking a car and modifying it with every body attachment you can find until it's so ugly you can't even tell what vehicle it is.

Do I want an iphone, sure. Am I willing to switch to AT&T for it, nope. So I waited it out. I wasn't bound to "destroy" an iphone to get it on Verizon's network. Finally I cam to my contract renewal and I was able to get a Blackberry Storm.

If you don't like what a provider has then it's not too difficult to find an acceptible replacement or switch providers. Unlocking a phone not only voids any service warranties (in most cases), it's also borderline illegal and unethical.

IMHO, phones need to be used the way they were designed for the network they were designed for. Every provider in this country has more than enough selections of phones that you are bound to find at least one you're happy with.

That being said, enjoy your iphone. When it dies on you and you can't afford to have it replaced or worked on, it's going to suck.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  3. Banshee

Banshee MvC2 online! woot!

The ridiculous marketing decisions to restrict the IPhone to specific providers is a good reason.

It's as ridiculous as GM forcing their car owners to travel only on certain roads.

The fact that the IPhone is available in other countries without TSP restriction is also a big slap in the face.

WTH, the IPhone wasn't designed to work solely with AT&T.

I'm no expert on this, but since you don't actually modify the hardware, I think it's just a question of putting back the original software in before sending it to Apple. :p 

4. DeathStorm

News Credits:
    You are correct, and I apologize for not clarifying my statement. The iphone isn't just designed for AT&T, I meant the SIM card and some of the software specifics that are for that provider. That's how the phone came and I just have the belief that phones don't need to be hacked. It's just as much Verizon's fault as anyone else's (since they passed up on the iphone) and they are my provider, so I know this could have been better.

It sucks, I know this, I really want an iphone too - but, as I said, unlocking the phone is borderline illegal so I don't see why you'd want to take the risk all because your current provider doesn't have one single phone you like. IMO, just switch to a provider that has a device you like and has good coverage in your area - you're bound to find something. Again, nothing personal in all of this, it's just my personal opinion. I certainly don't judge anyone for what they do - their actions are their actions.

And, no, unfortunately you can't just load the software back to the default and take it to Apple. I've seen it denied with my own eyes (I am an Apple fanatic - all the more reason I wish I had an iphone). I don't know what they look for specifically, but they know when a phone's been hacked.

5. Jux

Well, I received a 3G iPhone free of charge - and I've been using TMobile for almost 8 years now, so I'm not changing carriers. I've been using it on TMobile's network for a few months, with the only issue being no 3G - but I won't get that anyway because it doesn't have a radio compatible with TMo's 3G network. But I'm fine with that. Unlocking it is not destroying it - it's actually freeing it. Jailbreaking/unlocking an iPhone allows you to use it on other GSM networks, install and use third party applications, and have more control over what it does.

You're right, TMobile has a few alternative phones, but none compare to the iPhone in terms of features I want. Since it was a free phone, there is no warranty anyway, and it's not illegal or unethical - not on my end. It's legal under the DMCA to unlock your phone, but it's not legal to distribute the software for it. The fault is on the Dev Team, not me. I'm protected under the DMCA to do it, even with their software, and even if I were to pay the Dev Team to do it, but they could face penalties for providing the software.

The only two things I lose by using the iPhone on TMobile and not AT&T is Visual Voicemail and 3G network ability - neither of which are vital to the phone's operation or hinder it in anyway. I use my TMobile SIM card in the device, and the SIM card works just as it's supposed to - it provides me with access to the TMobile network under my phone number, per my contractual agreement with them. One of the reasons I love GSM devices is that they're interchangable - I can use any unlocked GSM device on TMobile, so my phone selection is not limited strictly to their offerings. In fact, I have given one of my old TMo phones to a Canadian friend, and TMobile willingly offered the unlock code to allow it to work on another effort.

Do I have some risk in using a phone not covered under warranty? Sure. But I can have it covered under personal insurance if I were that uptight about it. I got the phone for free, so I'm already playing with house money.

Although I have taken no offense to the majority of your post, I would ask you not to assume my inability to either 1) afford, 2) find a capable person to fix my phone or 3) to repair my phone myself in the event that it were to be damaged, either physically or technically.

6. DeathStorm

News Credits:
    Jux, I've been around long enough that I would never assume anything like that, about you or any other member on her - I was just saying it to make a point. Nothing personal :) 

7. Jux

Then I'd advise not saying things like "When it dies on you and you can't afford to have it replaced or worked on, it's going to suck" in order to avoid such a perception.

"If it dies on you and you can't ..." might work better than "When it dies ..." ;) 

8. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

wow @ this thread.

9. Jux

I know huh

In all seriousness, I'm glad this is out, and I don't think Apple is too concerned - they've previously stated that demand for unlocked phones was "a good problem to have."

10. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

i have a phone too! lets hug!

11. McBradders

Pretty much. And it's not like they're losing anything by people doing it either. Not everyone is going to be buying from the AppStore...

12. Jux

What surprised me the most is that even on a jailbroken iPhone, I can still download free apps and buy commercial apps from their App Store.

13. McBradders

Wow, really?

That may just sway me to dip in...

14. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

it almost seems as if apple planned it that way.....

am i right in thinking you can only access the app store with a wifi connection?

15. Jux

Yeah man, I was amazed. I would say half of my apps are from the AppStore, and the other half are Cydia/Installer apps for jailbroken phones. All you need is an iTunes account. I've never had an AT&T account, it just prompts me for my iTunes store password whenever I login, and that's based off my email address, not phone number.

I can access over WiFi or over regular cellular data to browse/download/update Apps, but depending on the size of the App, I usually just wait until I'm home on WiFi.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  16. GW_Freak

GW_Freak Banned

Before the G1 game out I would've been excited. Now, if I want TMobile I'll just use the Google phone.

It is shit however that Apple hasn't gotten around to marketing a T-Mobile version.

17. DeathStorm

News Credits:
    So the difference between "if" and "when" makes a comment personal. Noted. Thanks.