The Departed thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sonscreen, Oct 8, 2006.

1. Sonscreen

Sonscreen Casual TF collector<br><b><font color=#FF0000>aksm TFW2005 Supporter

Just got back from seeing the Departed. If you saw Infernal Affairs already, you know what to expect, but they through in enough changes to make it worth seeing. The Departed is a good movie but it doesn't seem as suspenseful as Infernal Affairs. I think it was about 2 and half hours but it didn't drag. I will say that Dicaprio put on a much better performance than I thought. Nicholson is just over the top. The theater scene was just hilarious.

2. infinitesadness

infinitesadness Huh?

mmmm i thought as much.... i thought infernal affairs was one of the best hongkong films i've ever seen...

the two male leads were excellent

can't wait to see wat the departed would be like

3. Ogami Daigoro

Ogami Daigoro Blue Lantern Bearer

I saw it yesterday and thoroughly loved it. I saw IA quite a while back and never saw parts 2 & 3, but it seemed different enough, especially the ending, to make it a different movie. Lots more humor, lots and lots more swearing, great stuff from Nicholson. Overall, well worth seeing. Even if you saw IA, it's worth seeing a good Scorsese gangster movie again in the theater.

4. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I dug it. Everyone did a pretty good job in it in my opinion.

I definitely could have gone without hearing that brutally hideous rendition of Comfortably Numb...What in the blue hell was that?

5. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Just saw it tonight... I must say while I enjoyed it, I liked Infernal Affairs better... It was simply more serious and less over the top...

I almost view the two movies as very similar but different in the end...

I loved the humor in The Departed... But I loved the seriousness and suspense in Internal Affairs more...

I loved how The Departed did a better job tying up loose ends... I didn't like how they interpreted Matt Damon's character though... In Internal Affairs, by the end of the movie, Andy Lau's character truly wanted to do good and be a good cop instead of a mole for the gang...

I liked how The Departed took the two female roles in Internal Affairs and combined them into one role... I'm not sure I like the additional role, although HELLA entertaining and hilarious, of Mark Wahlberg...

I liked Internal Affairs more for the fact that it had less bloodshed... The Departed had waaay too many headshots...

I REALLY wish The Departed incorporated the Morse Code stuff that Internal Affairs had...

All in all, I suggest those who haven't seen Internal Affairs to rent it and watch it... I think the two movies similarities and contrasts would make quite an interesting discussion...

6. BigPrime3000

BigPrime3000 Well-Known Member

I thought it was great. My only two complaints are the comfortably numb butchering that was already mentioned, and the end of the climax. By the end of that I was just thinking about that episode of South Park where the boys become detectives for the police.

7. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

saw the movie two nights ago.

SPOILER WARNING

Am I to assume that whatever Billy left with the shrink was sent to Marky Mark? I just didn't understand why he showed up.

I really wanted him to say "Feel it" as he left Sullivan's apartment, would have been funny.

8. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Yeah, that would be my guess... That Leo left evidence in that envelope for the shrink to send to Marky Mark...

But what I didn't like about that??? It made Marky Mark a criminal in the end...

9. Nerd Bomber

Nerd Bomber Consulting your needs

Just came back from it. I enjoyed it a lot. Never saw internal affairs. Ending shocked me a bit.