The definitive Transformers:ROTF opinion thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by MegatronSupporter, May 5, 2010.

1. MegatronSupporter

MegatronSupporter Well-Known Member

Without a shadow of a doubt I think it's time to have an official and final thread about it,instead of cluttering multiple threads discussing it and derailing those threads. I still stand by the fact that I think there is still a hell of a lot to like about the movie,I don't get it,and I never will,to me it seems like a miracle that the movie was especially sensible in it's story telling because of the strike.

2. DarthCrusher

DarthCrusher Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My opinion was mixed. While I certainly don't think ROTF was the pinnacle of filmmaking, I appreciated it for what it was, and there were some parts of it that I enjoyed.

And do you seriously think that this thread will be the last time this is discussed? If so, you don't know this fandom very well, do you?

3. MegatronSupporter

You're right,somewhat,but it should end,it's over stayed it's stay in forums. Although I don't think it's as bad as how it is at Super Hero Hype.com in a bunch of movie threads.

4. DarthCrusher

DarthCrusher Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not saying that we wouldn't all benefit from this discussion coming to a close at some point, but it's not really in the nature of our fandom. I mean, we still have people saying, essentially, "Trukk not Munky" years after the fact. Hell, there's even still people who will go on and on about how any attempt to change the formula of the G1 cartoon is ruining Transformers forever.

We're the Transformers fandom, and no matter how small the issue, we never let it go.

5. Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime Roll out! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I made kind of an interesting observation:
    I'm taking a scriptwriting class, and the class has the people who are casually into films or are considering getting into the industry, and then there are the "film aesthetes" who can go on for hours about the glory of "A Clockwork Orange" or "Precious" or obscure art films that few people have even heard of. This latter group of like four or five people have spent the semester using RotF as their punching bag; every time a bad movie is brought up, one of these aesthetes chimes in with, "Well, at least it wasn't as bad as...Transformers 2!" and the other aesthetes guffaw and agree. There's even one guy who spent an entire scene in one of his scripts building up a jab at RotF, with a character that claims how it's "Utter garbage...the worst film he's ever seen in his entire life...a thousand times worse than 'Twilight'...not even worth picking up the DVD case, etc.".
    Everyone else in the class liked RotF; they agree that it wasn't a "good" movie, but it was entertaining. Only the "I Agree With Hollywood" kids had a problem with it, and that was their go-to example of something to bash in almost every single class all semester. One guy claimed he left after the first five minutes because it was the most boring and stupid movie he'd ever seen.
    Interestingly enough, this class was the first time I met people in real life who seriously didn't like RotF. Everyone else I know enjoyed it overall, though some had complaints about parts of it (I remember looking at my facebook newsfeed in the week after RotF was released and seeing like 20 status updates about how awesome RotF was).

6. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    I certainly don't think it was a cinematic masterpiece, and i definitely left the theater feeling a few disappointments; but it's hardly the abomination it's made out to be. I found some things to like in it.

7. MegatronSupporter

I believe 100% that the people who first liked the movie only hate it now because of the excessive amount of bad reviews the movie got,and that they are afraid to like it because of that,and still out of shame. And I have a theory,that many who liked the movie at first now hate it. At first most Tf fans liked it,now there is basically no one left. It's a pathetic trend to hate the movie because others hate it and because it's the cool thing to do,the movie critics who despised the movie has influenced many who hate it without being conscious about it,it's like the movie critics unintentionally got their revenge over such an apparently terrible sequel,being paid and all of course. I want to make it very clear by standing by the stuff I have said,that none of it is an attempt to convert the people who hate TF:ROTF into lovers. I can't even bring myself to say that I love the movie on a certain website, knowing that sooooo many there hate on the movie,because I know if I say something to that effect they will gang up on me or anyone else who chooses to do that,extremely most likely. No one at all,should have to be ganged up on let alone being in fear of saying such a thing.

8. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Easily criticized, but a great movie.

9. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    I'm not sure we need to dredge up the subject all over again. Everyone formed their opinion a long time ago. I think most people who like transformers find some things to like about it, but it's a deeply flawed movie. We can enjoy individual sequences, but the movie as a whole leaves a lot to be desired.

You'd be wrong on that count. I saw it before the reviews were out, and my friend (who totally loved the first movie) hated it. As he put it, all the transformers in the first movie were cool, but these new ones were really annoying.

10. MegatronSupporter

True,some people who liked the first one didn't like the second one,and to be fair,whatever amount of new Transformers that are considered annoying,are a few. The Twins. Do I think the movie is flawed at all? Hell yeah. But to me it's not even close to the level of awfulness that many make it out to be. It's gotten to the point with many,that even the stuff that wasn't bad doesn't exist anymore.

11. SC0RP0N0K

SC0RP0N0K Well-Known Member

I think everyone knows my stance on the movies, even though some people are wrong about it, but there's no need to rehash it again.

As for the people who were rabidly in love with the movie just don't post anymore on here. I'm not sure if the newness wore off or whatever, but I don't think it's due to peer pressure from people who disliked the movie.

12. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    People are still creating threads to talk about this movie, months after its release on home video. Score 1 for the filmmakers.

13. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur 100% Sarcastic Saurian

Boring? He thought it was boring? Sure it was stupid, but boring? Ugh, yet they could watch Citizen Kane all day and not complain. (IMO Shawshank Redemption=Best movie ever made.)

The first five minutes of the movie were stupid and boring? The plot had just barely been explained and the first five minutes were full of Optimus Prime taking on a 'Con five times his size.
    And then the not-so-racist controversy came about and to this day I still don't see it. I could explain my entire view on this subject right now on what I think but this isn't the thread.

Lets just hope for the best for TF3. Maybe Bay learned his mistakes, trying to see what works and what doesn't work in the movies. Number three he'll get right.

14. Rayzilla Prime

Rayzilla Prime I RIP ALL MY RAZE!

Personally, I liked ROTF more because of the visuals (with a few exceptions that go without saying) and quite a bit of the dialogue, especially with Megatron and Starscream.

This. Both films could be better, but they're not as bad as people say they are.

From what I've been noticing, most of the time people are looking for the subtle flaws (ones that go unnoticed until someone literally points them out), not stumbling across them. I was there to watch a movie, not point out that specks of dust weren't there in the previous scene, so I'm not gonna find them. I'm aware of the flaws with the films, but a lot of them I don't care about because I don't notice them right away or I simply don't give a rat's ass. I consider myself extremely obsessive compulsive, and for a majority of the stuff that people have pointed out, I'll have to rewind the movie five or six times to finally notice.

That said, I've heard a few negative reviews about Clash of the Titans, but when I saw it, it really didn't seem as bad as those people said it was (though my only gripe was the use of "bitch" and "hell"). As I brace for the flack, I say the same for Dragon Wars - sure, it had its flaws, and it wasn't the greatest film either, but it's nowhere near as bad as people say it is (to the film's credit, they did have interesting creature designs).

15. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Could've been alot better, but still fun experience, just like street hot dogs.

16. Tyrannosaur

I'm also sick of the "Worst movie ever" complaint. I don't think they could make a Transformers movie bad enough to deserve that title. Even the worst movie of 2009 which most certainly goes to Dragonball Evolution. I don't think any movie can get as bad as what either The Asylum craps out, or that god awful disaster of a movie appropriately titled Disaster Movie. Or Battlefield Earth.

Transformers 2 is one of those movies you go see with your buddies on a friday evening in the summer. It's hot outside, go in a cool theater, eat some junk food and watch a pretty decent action flick. Who doesn't love that?

17. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    Like any movie, it had some yays, and had some nays. Not the best movie ever, but not the worst Ebert claimed it was.

18. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    If you're ever watching Citizen Kane, look out for the stop-motion pterodactyls. Outstanding movie, but not many people notice the pterodactyls.

As for ROTF, yes, it actually was kinda boring. That's quite a challenge for a film with so many robots and explosions, but it actually did become dull and repetative after a while. The opening sequence was exciting, but it was so over the top that the rest of the film was a come down. No individual scene drags and it's all incredibly fast-paced, but it's just one meaningless scene after another. After a while you become disconnected and you don't really care about the characters or what happens to them. It's a long film, and there was just no suspense. I looked at my watch several times.

19. figsdad

figsdad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like both but the 1st film just shades it tbh..

esp coming to earth scene imo was better than the forest scene tbh..

20. Tyrannosaur

Huh? I gotta look this up! :lol