The Definitive Thread: Hasbro Classics Or Takara Henkei Starscream?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by GrimlockAutobot, Mar 28, 2008.

1. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Me No Bozo Me King!!

News Credits:
    There has been ALOT of debate on this site as to which version of Starscream that boardmembers like better: Hasbro Classics Or Takara Henkei?

So let this be the definitive thread on the subject. Let's use this thread to debate which one is better until our hearts are content.

Use this thread to vote for which one you like better and when the dust is cleared we'll declare a winner from those votes.

I'll start. Takara Henkei is BY FAR the better and more detailed toy. The pics DO NOT do it justice. Hasbro could learn from what Takara did in the future.

The painted face on Takara Starscream absolutely makes this the great toy that it is. As does the bright metallic blues and bright red paint as well.

When comparing the red on Takara Starscream to the red on Hasbro Classics it is very similar to comparing 20th Anniversary to DVD Prime.

The red on Hasbro Classics Starscream is more of an orange when comparing it to the more bright, rich red of Takara Henkei Starscream.

Takara Henkei gets my vote because it is the more superior toy.

What's your vote?

2. Obvious Prime

Obvious Prime Purple Repaint

News Credits:
    Henkei 4-EVAR! Just ordered Screamer off capturedprey.com.

Oh, and speaking of Henkei, Bumblebee and Megatron came today! They kick ass! w00t! :D 

3. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Don't forget that the arms and head are painted so that they don't stick out in jet mode and they painted the landing gear and side panels so it matches up with the red chest in bot mode. The grey landing gear in bot mode and obvious black head parts in jet mode always bugged me and Takara fixed it.

I could give or take the chrome on the guns. I also like the nosecone isn't blue. I however don't like the con symbol on the nose, never have, never will, however Takara seems to like it there.

For my vote Henkei just edges out Classics.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2008
  4. butz

butz slippery when wet

Classics; I prefer the more muted colors. The painted face on the Japanese one does nothing for me, and neither does the chrome.

5. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

Overall Hasbro colors, with Starscream needing a face lift. Henkei Megatron needs to loose some red highlights, then he'd be a must. Others I'm perfectlu content with Hasbro versions.

6. lookinglasself

lookinglasself 1.21 Jigowatts

Henkei by far.

7. karamazov80

karamazov80 Million Dollar Champion

My Henkei Starscream is in my "Pile of Loot" at BBTS, so I don't have it in hand yet, but I think that I will treat the Henkei version as my primary Classics Starscream once it comes in. I love the G1 paint scheme, the Decepticon symbols on the wings and nose, and a big issue for me, a face that doesn't look cheap and weak.

I love my Classics Starscream, though (and I really wish Henkei had a blue nose cone like the Classics one does :(  ), so I'll hold off on final judgment until my new baby gets to me.

8. Synthetic Breed

Synthetic Breed Supreme Autubot Commander

The Henkai is superior, just look at that mug. My missile launchers it came with fire FAR. I was only messing with it and shot it a clear 10 feet.

9. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    i think hasbro SS looks better in jet mode, but henkei looks better in robot mode...however, i dont plan on buying henkei SS...i'll buy a small bottle of paint and do touch ups instead...megatron is a must buy though, after comparison pics ive decided to get one...however, i preordered from two different retailers, and ive decided not to buy from BBTS this time...so my preorder is still available, for 42.99, plus shipping. if anyone is interested in getting it for a few bucks cheaper then they are currently selling it, let me know...

10. Nerdling

Nerdling Plastic Crack Addict

Ebay:
    Truth. I wont pay twice as much as I did for Classics SS just to have one that's been "done up". The only thing I really like about the Japanese version are the Decepticon logos... which I can just reprolabel myself. But for those who didn't get SS the first time around they might as well get him now.

11. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

Henkei Starscream for me. Thre Painted Face, Decepticon Symbols, and the Painted thrust intakes being red on the sides and dark grey on the insides is a real plus. Also painting the sides of SS Head grey to match the nose cone when covering his head is great as well.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2008
  12. GrimlockAutobot

News Credits:
    In Henkei, we finally have a starscream that's worthy of standing next to Classics Skywarp and Thundercracker (which most of us don't have, myself included.)

Seriously, if you're debating on getting it and you have some extra green to do it then GET IT!! You WON'T be disappointed!!

13. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

Actualy the head is molded in the same grey plastic as the rest and then painted, but yes definate improvement.

14. butz

butz slippery when wet

Threads like these kinda come off like dick-waving to me; like, "this is my opinion, so I'll try to find as many people who agree with me so then my opinion will be right, and everybody else will be wrong!!!".
    I mean, does it really matter which one some internet fanboys prefer? The Hasbro version is long over with, so its not like they're going to go "oh, we should do it like the Henkei Starscream now". And its not like Takara-Tomy is going to read this and decide to make changes if the thread goes the other way (escpecially considerring they deliberately made it different from the Hasbro one so collectors wouldn't feel it was redundant and not buy their new version).

15. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Personally, I like Hasbro's version better than Takara's. It's an update rather than a slavish G1 homage, though it also, imo, makes for a great homage as is. Takara's is also really bland and boring to me. In the end, it doesn't really matter, as it's all personal opinions. It's not the first time the fan base has been split on liking or not liking a peticular figure (even differences of opinion on the figures that are different from Hasbro to Takara).

16. GrimlockAutobot

News Credits:

No. This post is flat-out wrong. It comes off like you're throwing a hissy-fit. Both points of view matter and to me, it's interesting to hear exactly why people like one version or the other.

Both sides are certainly entitled to their opinion and no opinion is better or "more correct" than the other.

It's just interesting to hear from both sides of the coin.....that's one of the reasons I started this thread in the first place.

17. Hoolagrin

Hoolagrin Wheelie Rules! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Off topic:
    Why are you being so critical? If you don't like the thread, don't post in it. It's an interesting topic (at least to a few of us) and silly me, I thought that this whole site was made for us internet fanboys. Plus, I didn't see anyone petitioning Taktomy or Hasbro to do anything.

It's a basic interenet subject - Which is better "A" or "B"? Insert your own subject for discussion: Trukk vs. Munky, Habro vs. Takara, KO vs. Non-KO, MISB vs. Rip 'em open, Kirk vs. Picard. :wink: 

On topic: I think there is room enough for both, but the jet mode on the Henkei screamer is pretty cool.

18. butz

butz slippery when wet

Hmmm... maybe it's just things like the thread title starting with "The Definitive Thread:" that give me that choosing sides vibe.
    If you say it's not a competition, I'll take your word for it; I'm just saying that it's the vibe I get from threads like these, like people trying to win an argument over opinions.

Not the point of my post at all; and I had posted my opinion on the topic, same as everyone else. I wasn't saying that people are trying to petition Hasbro or anything; I was using that as an example of why this strikes me as a competition of internet egos (which you've cited many examples of). The thread starter assures that isn't the case, and this is just a see what people say type of affair.
    I find it pathetic when people argue over whose opinion on a toy is right, and as this thread could go that route, I felt it was relevant to post my feelings on it. Not saying you can't argue away about Kirk vs Picard or whatever; just saying I think it's pathetic (albeit entertaining). And please, unless you have a mod badge, don't try and tell me I can't post something if I think it's relevant. Thats for the people who actually run the site to decide.

19. taz235

taz235 Well-Known Member

Hes actually right and the don’t post in a topic if you don’t have anything to say, what about when someone post”that sucks” just to throw in their say just to bee seen? He made it seem like his opinion was the way to go. It wasn’t even a poll or a neutral what is your favorite version complete with comparison photos.

20. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    i feel ya butz, i get that feeling sometimes too...oh well...we can rock out with our hasbro SS...and i was just looking at more pictures of classics SS and his paint job looks almost identical to RM SS, who i used to dig alot, until classics screamer came out...i should probably sell my RM now that i think about it...