The Definitive G1 Collection in UK

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Galva Prime, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Sayjimwoo

Sayjimwoo Member

Guys, just to let you know how bad the packaging is with the new G1 collection, I have added images of both my subscriptions. If they do not resolve this, it could compromise the series. The books rattle around like marbles in a jar.
    Who at Hatchette thought this was acceptable is beyond me. This could result in many returns over the series. I have emailed Hachette and if others do too, this might be resolved. Up to now I am not happy
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My subscribed books arrived yesterday in the same packaging you describe. So disappointing. The top of the spine of "Primal Scream" was slightly dented/ruffled. I only subscribed for the free issue (the rest of the free gifts were pretty lacking IMO) so I suspect I will cancel and buy from WH Smith. At least I can inspect and guarantee good condition.

In my experience, its hit-and-miss whether newsagents stock continuing issues of partworks. Smiths has got better at it recently.

Regarding the Marvel Uk edits to US material...I was also hoping to see the reprinted, esp. with Furman presiding over this. Even as "alternate" pages in addition to the full US reprint. I own the full original UK run so in a way it doesn't matter, but it would've been nice to have it in a 'complete package'. If US #21 is an indication, we won't be getting them.

A small complaint, perhaps, but a niggling one! Far more annoyed about how the books were sent.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    That's crappy about the packaging. Although I'd be just as irked that I apparently wasn't getting the backing board the retail-bought ones are mounted on.
    That seems a very costly solution to them for something many people won't even notice or perhaps be too bothered about. Might've been cheaper for them to just offer replacements via their Facebook page if you're able to provide proof of purchase for the first issue.
    If I'd been them I'd have just given away a long sticker with the corrected border to place along the book's spine. :p 
    But hats off to them for replacing for free for everyone this way whether you bought issue one or not. I imagine issue seven will sell very well as two books for a tenner is an utter bargain.

What's this 'free issue'? I thought everything was going to be included in the regular run?

I don't know how long WHSmiths will keep it on shelves since they told me that often they stop ordering or can't get certain partwork titles after around ten issues because the companies making them want people to have to subscribe instead. Dunno how true that is though. I tried to get WHSmiths to shop save me them for until they could no longer get them in, but they wanted a deposit of three times the cover price to open a saves folder for me. And at a tenner an issue, yikes.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  4. Magnus' Mate

News Credits:
    Should've been clearer - if you subscribe, you get a regular issue free. So my first delivery was issue #2 (which I paid £6.99 for) and issue #3 free (regular cost £9.99). So, I saved £9.99. Seemed worth the small effort of subscribing just for that - and of course, you can stop the subscription at anytime.

5. rodster6

rodster6 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    My second and third books came in that kind of box too. Luckily mine weren't damaged but I did think it was a bit haphazard.

6. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    Finally got around to opening issue one. Looks good. Target: 2006 is a great choice to start with. Always loved that washy colour painterly look. So unlike many other TF strips. Feels very light and fresh compared to other strips of the time and the somewhat heavily-coloured stuff we get nowadays that occasionally weighs things down if that makes any sense (Stormbringer in issue two is a murky weighted colour example that's quite a contrast to Target: 2006). Any kid that picked up issue one because it was cheap got a great example of UK TF comics. Although they might be a bit disappointed at how little Optimus features.

Also got a look inside the version of issue one on the smaller card mount I picked up from WHSmiths. The poster is indeed in there behind the hardback, but printed smaller than the one on the big cardback version.

Was still quite a few copies of issue one in my WHSmiths and a good handful of issue two in a TF card stand. Hope they don't get stuck with too many unsold issues as it might affect how many they order in the future.
    Ah, makes sense now. Ta.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  7. mcluskyism

mcluskyism Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nah, Smiths can return that kind of stock. Hachette then offer it as back issues, although they'll pulp any returned #1 with the printing error.

8. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    Neat. Back when I used to run a newsagents in the early 1990s many partworks couldn't be returned.

I assume the Marvel adaptation of the 1986 animated movie will be included in this run? There was a two-page synopsis of the film in (I think) issue one, but I'm guessing that was just to help provide some context for Target: 2006.

9. Magnus' Mate

News Credits:
    Not sure about the movie adaptation - collection should be everything G1 (please include G2 as special editions, Hachette!), which should include the adaptation...but no confirmation yet, nor on the TF Universe profile series (or the Dreamwave MTMTE profile series), GI Joe crossover etc.

On the Facebook page, Furman acknowledged that #198 "Cold Comfort and Joy" in issue #3 (vol 16) is a little out of sequence (should be just before "Time Wars") but explained that just felt the right place when collating the other material.

I can live with that, but shouldn't "Two Megatrons" appear between "Rise & Fall Of the Decepticon Empire" and "Back From The Dead"? I know continuity still doesn't quite fit (if only Furman were still on staff at Marvel when "Back From the Dead" was reprinted, he'd have had a field day editing some of the dialogue to fit the UK continuity!), but it still seems the best place for it.

10. snavej

snavej Zone 6 dweller, off-peak traveller

News Credits:
    Pessimist alert! Publications like this sometimes get cancelled prematurely. I'm glad that I have my original comics.

11. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    Nothing's ever certain, but I'm sure a lot of us in the UK already own either the original run or some or all of the reprints that have been released over the years. It'll be nice if this stays the course as it's more exposure in the UK for the TF brand beyond just the toys, cartoons and movies, but if not it's not like this material is particularly rare or hard to come by via multiple other sources.

12. mcluskyism

mcluskyism Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Really? I was working purely on assumptions. I'm well used to unreturnable stock as I run a comic shop. I thought all that stuff was returnable for newsagents, etc, my mistake! Maybe WHSmiths has more power as a larger entity, I can't say I've ever seen them selling off partworks on the cheap to clear stock, but then I've never really looked either. Although I know places like Argos have auctions to clear stock, I wouldn't be surprised if Smiths did the same, or sold it off to clearance places like The Works. Or maybe they own another chain store to dump stock [like HMV and Fopp].

13. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    I probably should clarify as I think my initial concerns might not apply here. This kind of thing, and most titles really, will have a return date that after which it's nigh on impossible to send stuff back for credit. WHSmiths might have some wriggle room on that since they're bigger than your common or garden independent corner shop where you can often find old partworks on sale at a reduced rate which were probably shop saves which were never collected and have now missed their return date so the shop is trying to claw at least a little of that lost revenue back.

Partworks are always iffy as I do remember after, say, the first two issues there would be strict limits imposed on how many a shop could return, so you had to get your stock quantity ordering right. I think it was to stop small shops hogging too much stock that could be better distributed elsewhere. I do remember being told by the supplier when making my magazine orders that some things would definitely not be accepted back.
    Of course I'm going back about twenty-five years here so things might've changed since then.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Sayjimwoo

Sayjimwoo Member

Well it looks like my complaint worked. I received issues 3 & 4 (along with my Transformers wallet) in tighty packed boxes. Lets hope this continues :) 

15. Emirate Xaaron

Emirate Xaaron Well-Known Member

I've only just started my collection,really enjoyed revisiting Target:2006, I loved the old marvel comic, I found the U.S story a bit lacking tbh.

16. NoiseMaker

NoiseMaker Well-Known Member

I would get this.. but having the IDW Hardback Collections makes me think its not really worth it.

Are the stories all jumbled up? or are they in a decent order? or what?

17. Toadimus Prime

Toadimus Prime Mostly harmless.

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    They're being released out of order, like all Hachette partworks, but will eventually line up into a sensible reading order.

They're nicely designed with some good features, and the Marvel UK stuff being coloured/slipped into a coherent reading us great. There will be a lot of IDW volumes, though, so you may end up buying material you already have if you have a lot of it.

18. NoiseMaker

NoiseMaker Well-Known Member

Ahh. In that case I don't think I'll bother. Will try and hunt down the rest of the titan reprints instead.
    I have all the single issues of IDW and the Hardback collections, all the single issues of Dreamwave too.
    My singles of The Marvel continuity were thrown out by my folks when i went to uni in 98. So im only interested in Marvel UK and G2.

Thanks dude

19. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    I've only seen the first volume in my WH Smiths. I've looked every week but still no further volumes. Has anybody seen them in WH Smiths store shelves, or do other stores have them?

20. Toadimus Prime

Toadimus Prime Mostly harmless.

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    My local Smiths has every volume so far.