The definition of "spam"

Discussion in 'TFW2005 Tech Support' started by transtrekkie, Apr 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

Could someone explain to me how this falls under "spam"?

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/general-discussion/577811-person-below-me.html

I'm asking because I thought the definition of spam is when emails or messages are sent en masse for business promotion purposes (much like getting junk mail in the regular mail). The above linked thread was just a game for some of us to have fun. Which sure doesn't fit the definition I just gave. I'm asking because I see a lot of threads get closed for being "spam" when actually they fall under a different definition. "annoying" maybe. I dunno. I'm only a few years into this message board thing so maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like TFW's "spam" definition amounts to "whatever random mod X doesn't like". Which could be anything. Which honestly is fine if that's how the staff wants to run things, but could we at least have the different mods post their criteria somewhere? I'm mostly asking since there seems to be discrepancies in the enforcement of this. For example, there is a TF Name Game going on in the TF GD forums, but the game linked above is Spam? What's the difference?

Transtrekkie
    WTF @ TFW?

2. transtrekkie

I would seriously like an answer to this question. Spam technically is defined as starting threads/emails for business solicitation purposes. If members want to discuss non TF topics like our favorite things in GD, that's not spam. TFW admins and modsmay not want a bunch of nonsensical threads like this and that's fine, but that is not, by definition, spam.

I guess the real reason I'm looking for an answer on this is because of a lack of consistency. Discussing our favorite color is spam, but discussing our favorite (or least favorite) music/food/movies is not? Then there's the various "thread games" where I've seen one mod participate only to have another one close the thread.

Someone needs to set the standard with a clear definition for useless threads (since they're not spam).

3. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Spam is not solely defined as "advertising". Each thread is judged at the discretion of the staff. If we feel it's a questionable thread, or a thread that would normally go Into a "spam" forum, then it will be closed.

4. transtrekkie

First off, I really do want to thank you for taking the time to address this, your response really is appreciated.

I guess my main question is stating that there seems to be a lot of inconsistency among the TFW staff regarding what is/is not questionable. And I really only started this thread here because I know I'm not the only user who feels this. We're all kind of struggling to figure out what the standard is and where the line gets drawn. Maybe the staff could agree on a set standard to enforce? Just an idea.

I don't mind adhering to the rules of the site and have no desire to be subversive or anything, I just wish this was clearer than it is.

5. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    The line between spam and non-spam will always be a gray area. There will never be a lien in the sand. Once that definitive line in the sand is drawn, just about every member of this forum will look to challenge that definition or test us to see how much they can get away with. Every thread will be taken on a case by case basis.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.