The Decpticon cause

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by DaggersRage, Feb 9, 2007.

1. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

The G1 cartoon probably did not exploit that option but was there a peice of fiction that expresses this?

Is Megatrons ideal peace through conquest like the Clanners from MechWarrior/BattleTech?

Is he a rebel?

I -know- Megatron craves power but what sort of thing would he have to give to get followers like Soundwave and the rest or is it maybe that they're actually more like Vikings, just live there for the moment and conquer?

2. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

Closest media to what you're asking would be Dreamwave's G1 & War Within series. As his motivations seem to be outside of simple conquest, but something larger. What it is we'll never know :( 

3. MV75

MV75 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I thought cybertron explained it. He wanted to destroy the universe and rebuild it in his way. That way there could be peace.

While that could work at first, rebellion would eventually occur and it would all be back at square one. So while he has the grand ideas, his full thinking leaves him not the sharpest knife in the cake.

4. chaosbringer_00

chaosbringer_00 I am indescribable.

According to Dreamwave/the Official Guide, Megatron felt that the Transformers were wasting their potential. After discovering Cybertron's massive engines (from when Primus traveled around the universe), Megatron decided to use them to realize his dream of Transformers becoming the ultimate warriors, conquering the entire universe, with Cybertron acting as a giant, mobile warworld.

5. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Megatron wanted to use the whole "Cybertron Warworld" thing back in G1 too.

The Generation 2 insert comics from the Japanese release of the line put an interesting spin on things. It suggests Convoy and Megatron ruled Cybertron sharing power equally, but Megatron became hungry to do things his way, without having to compromise with Prime (a bit like Babylon 5, with the Vorlon and Shadow ideologies for teaching the younger races co-existing at first, but eventually growing apart to the point where they both believed theirs was exclusively the right way. Prime, of course, never has any doubt shed on his cause)

The Dreamwave explanation makes the most sense. It suggests the Decepticon cause is simply to further the Cybertronian way of life. A clever Decepticon statesman, should such a character exist, would suggest with some smooth talk that falling under the Decepticon banner would be a good thing. You get to benefit from all the Cybertronian advancements that your new overlords would bring, all they ask is you do as they say.

A tragic spin on things, though, would be if the war had broken out long before Prime or Megatron ever came onto the scene, as War Within and Generation 2 implied for their various universes (although G1 is conflicted, often showing Megatron existing long before the war started. Anyways...). If both leaders came into the conflict late, taking over from previous leaders, they'd inherit the ongoing war and carry it on, as would the ones who follow them. The tragedy would be they're fighting endlessly, forever across countless years, for a goal long forgotten, a war whose exact causes nobody remembers or cares enough about to find out. All they know now is fighting (see one of the UK TF annuals, I forget which one. It shows the end of the war between the Autobots and Decepticons under Rodimus Prime, and the start of a new war between the different groups of Autobots, who cannot adjust to peace after so long, and work out their differences without blowing one another away. It was the day that the war ended. The last Decepticon died, and so the war began anew)

6. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

I remember that story, I think it's in one of the Titan TPBs. And ironically enough that whole mess was started by a lone Decepticon disguised as an Autobot. And furthermore that Deception/Autobot was one of the first to die

7. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think the most obvious trait of Megatron (pretty much any Megatron) is that he's never satisfied. He could have more energy than he and his followers could ever need, and be unquestioned ruler of all he surveys, but as long as he knows there's an unconquered world out there somewhere, or an Autobot that needs killin', he'll never rest on his achievements, and certainly never pass the mantle of leadership to someone else willingly.