The Death of Optimus Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Barberism, Jun 5, 2010.

1. Barberism

Barberism Reaper of Skulls

When Optimus died in the 86 movie a lot of us were upset. Even now it it is a very bold move and gives the movie a lot of dramatic impact.

Whilst he did come back eventually it still doesn't take away from the impact of his death. Spock came back but his death in Wrath of khan still punches you in the gut.

So my question is how satisfied where you with Optimus' death?

He turned the tide of battle against the decepticons, taking nearly all of them out. He then fought Megatron and where it not for Hot Rod getting in the way would have beaten him. He passes the matrix on to Ultra Magnus and dies surrounded by his friends. He seems relatively serene when he dies.

I think it is a fitting death for a hero and it would be hard to top that.

So. Choose any fiction you like. Or make up your own. It doesn't have to be permanent. But what do you think would be a fitting death for Optimus Prime? All great heroes and legends have a famous death. Can we get any better than the 86 movie for a definitive Optimus Prime death scene?

Are there any other characters that you can think of an appropriate ending for?

What are your favorite death scenes? Dinobot's has to be another classic that is hard to top. And Unicron "desstttinnyyy...." KABOOOM!

Note: This is purely hypothetical. Kind of like an 'Elseworlds' scenario.

2. RedWolf

RedWolf Well-Known Member

Well the 86 movie shows what war truly is. Brutal where life can be taken in an instance.

You realize that the Transformers have been killing each other for 9 millions years. A war that lasted because of seeming immortal figures of Optimus Prime and Megatron.

In Prime's death scene we see Daniel, a young human raised among Autobots. In a day he sees many of his friends die. Optimus is the father figure of the Autobots. Daniel seeing him go is like a beloved relative on his death bed. Those around him are his children in a way.

3. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

I always thought Magnus went out with a bang in Headmasters. The City Commander, protecting earth against insurmountable odds.

4. TFcollecterguy

TFcollecterguy Well-Known Member

Ditto

5. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I'll tell you which way I WOULDN'T choose, Prime offing himself in "Afterdeath". That was just ridiculous.

I always found the way his death was approached in the '86 movie to be one of the best done parts of the film, and Transformers in general.

6. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    it may go against Prime's code, but Hot Rod should have died. Let Megatron off him and then Prime could have sent Megatron home in a box labled "Radio Shack Parts."
    imo, prime's death was a mixed bag. he took cheap shots from Megs all because a brat tried to intervene.
    there wasn't much honor in it.

take out Hot Rod's interference, let the battle go on and Megs still won, and then Optimus still knocked him off the ledge, that would have been better, to me.

i came to this idea after many years of thinking the scene was cool, but it kinda irked me, too.

also, the Junkion rebuild of UM after he got hosed, lessened the impact of Prime's death, too.
    "wait, what? dig Prime up, and take him to Junk and let Wreck Gar rebuild him!"

just an idea.

7. Leadfoot

Leadfoot The Strongest.

It was most definitely better than the ROTF death. It is indeed hard to top. It shows Optimus' utter devotion to others above himself in not shooting at Megatron when Hotrod was in the way. Another reason Roddy sucked.

8. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I wasn't really affected when I saw it as a kid, as an adult I think it was a great part of the movie. Unfortunately (IMO of course) they had to ruin any impact it might have had by bring him back to life...thanks a lot, soccer moms :rolleyes2 

9. RedWolf

On another note Takara had Optimus Prime/Convoy die again in Headmasters.

10. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

Magnus was originally supposed to be literally torn apart by the sweeps' laser lassos. In that respect, the Junkions would've just been putting him back together, kind of like what Hot Rod did for Kup's limbs on Quintessa. However, it was deemed too torturous and inappropriate for kids... so they had him gunned down by lasers instead.

11. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I thought it was pretty traumatic as a kid when I first saw it, then in subsequent viewings, I started reading too into it, and hated Hot Rod as a result, since I thought How big of a set do you have to have to stick your nose in a battle that doesn't include you, get Optimus Prime killed, then as a result, eventually become leader and call yourself 'Rodimus' "? As an adult, I think it is one of the best done parts of the movie, even though I didn't like it that the characters I liked were killed off, as someone else pointed out, it DOES show the realities of war, so again, it is a great angle that definitely changed everything.

12. Leadfoot

Leadfoot The Strongest.

The "soccer moms" were just the messengers. Millions of kids, including myself, were responsible to the backlash.

13. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't like to talk about it.:( 

14. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I don't want to derail the thread, but I disagree with the bolded text. That is an over discussed topic though.

As for the death scene in the '86 movie, I actually loved it. I didn't love Optimus Prime dying of course, but it was a "good" scene.

15. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    It was better than ROTF fo sho.

So, how come Ultra Magnus could be blown into several pieces and be put back together by Junkions in like, 5 seconds, how could they not save Optimus with all the high tech medical equipment, and stuff?

16. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Truth is, Prime's death is what etched the franchise into our minds and hearts and gave it the longevity to still kick today. Had Prime not died, it would just be another 80's cartoon to us.

17. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    QFT!

18. Barberism

For any fictional character to have true longevity they have to die.

Then you have a complete story that can be retold and have new aspects added to it.

19. RedWolf

Umm... Ratchet and Wheeljack are dead, First Aid is nowhere to be found , Oh Perceptor is a lousy doctor.

It all began with Sherlock Holmes. It didn't stick but same can be said of Optimus Prime and Superman.

20. Barberism

I didn't say they have to stay dead :) 

Considering the numerous different versions we have of Transformers stories I think the established mythology is that Optimus Prime is a bit like Aslan. his death is inevitable but so is his resurrection. I mean in animated he died in the first episode!

But with all the different Transformers media we have I'm surprised he hasn't been killed more.

I think the comic book worlds obsession with continuity is having a negative impact in that they are not allowing stories to finish and they wont allow characters to stay dead.

What I like about Transformers is that when one series finishes another one starts of with new designs and new ideas and different spins on established characters. What has kept Transformers strong is it's ability to keep changing and experimenting.

Take the live action movies. Not my cup of tea but I respect their right to exist and what they have done for the franchise. I like the death in the forest scene, taking on 3 decepticons and only losing because Megatron stabs him in the back. But I was disappointed that the Decepticon he killed was a repaint.