The Death of Optimus Prime Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by AngryChad, Dec 21, 2011.

1. AngryChad

AngryChad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Damn that was good. I'm really looking forward to what comes next.

Anyone else think the NAIL in the beginning looks a bit like eHobby Orion Pax?

2. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It was fantastic. Spoiler for ya:
    Optimus Prime doesn't die. Just like Chaos had nothing to do with Unicron. Instead, Prime volunteers to leave Cybertron forever in an effort to pacify the returning Cybertronian citizens. He takes the two halves of the Matrix and gives one to Bumblebee and one to Rodimus. Then while his ship leaves Cybertron, he delcares that Optimus is dead and that Orion Pax is reborn.

Great, great read. Prowl had a nice little breakdown shedding some light on his character further. Metalhawk reminds me a bit of BM Silverbolt a little in his design. Seems to have a plan brewing as well. Looking forward to more from him. The Decepticons have all been outfitted with inhibitor chips. I hope RID delves more into Starscream a little bit.

The future looks bright! :D 

3. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    Don't get to see it for a couple more weeks, but the first 7 pages looked stunning. More content there than in whole issues from the past three or four years!

4. Croaker

Croaker Well-Known Member

There was a lot of content in this issue. In that way it reminded me of much older comics.

5. D307

D307 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It has been said here before, but very well written issue! I like the way the covered the "Death of Optimus Prime". It is really going to be great watching the "Nails" Autobots and Decepticons trying to move foward. And a personal favorite of this issue is how portrayed Cyclonus. The future is looking very interesting indeed.

6. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What a great read. Nothing in particular I can think to single out, as it was all amazing. With this and TMNT #5 it's been a good week for comics so far.

7. rattimus prime

rattimus prime Scout Class Prime

god damn IDW digital, why aren't you on time.

8. mugen_prime

mugen_prime Well-Known Member

What a MASSIVE improvement!! I'm still not entirely happy with where the last 2 years have taken the story or the idea of Bumblebee being a leader. But this issue created a great foundation to start making things good again. The dialogue and story actually made this issue feel like it was worth the money I spent. Something I haven't experienced in quite a while. I'm REALLY looking forward to the two new ongoings now.

9. KAGE

KAGE aka: GibsonKAGE

News Credits:
    Yeah, digging this issue a lot. I can relax now knowing....

Can't live know my boy is dead LOL! Can't wait for the new books to come out!

10. artiepants

artiepants Just over here punching Unicron.

News Credits:
    yeah, it's so totally random and WTH?

I mean, i dig G1 BB, but leadership material he's never really been ~ I get the feeling this is solely capitalizing on his movie popularity. Prowl, Ironhide, Fort Max, Dai Atlas, Chromedome (who hasn't been seen in IDW as far as i know, but was the leader of the Headmasters in Japan as i understand it), Jetfire, Maybe Magnus, Silverbolt, Springer all seem potentially more interesting ~ I'd like to see a more war-time leader having to deal with being a peace-time leader and the conflict that entails...

11. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Wow. They completely took that in a much, much better direction than I thought. This issue absolutely sets up the next two titles extremely well. I am so happy that IDW seems to be going in the right direction with this. I'm really looking forward to seeing the leadership of BB and quest of Rodimus.

12. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Not today Galvatron!

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Troll title! I'm so happy I was able to nab the variant cover of this! The others were so ick. XD AND OMFG METALHAWK, I bought this issue just for him. OMG LOOOOOOVE.

13. PrimusVsUnicron

PrimusVsUnicron Well-Known Member

Prime death #1,000,000

14. IaconStargazer

IaconStargazer Maximal

This comic was AMAZING. A story packed with a lot of compelling and dramatic content (I was on the verge of tears toward the end - and both Roberts and Barber are very talented writers), and great artwork thanks to the ever-evolving skill of Nick Roche and the awesome coloring of Josh Burcham.

Metalhawk is kind of an interesting character, serving as another sort of leader figure (although I'd think that his arm-wings not angling up in robot mode would be a design inconvenience for him). And I'm hoping that with the note of deterrence chips, we can perhaps get some sort of update on the Wreckers - and maybe the Dinobots, while we're at it? : )

Some theories and questions I've got concering the issue's story:
    - I'm guessing that the environmental reversal of Cybertron will eventually lead to the Transformers race going to Gorlam Prime, as seen in "Pax Cybertronia" - what do you guys think?
    - It's possible that Galvatron got completely disintegrated (as he started to go right before Optimus placed the Matrix in Vector Sigma), and Cyclonus has apparently been rounded up with the Decepticons, but what happend to Scourge or Jhiaxus?
    - The artwork showing the remains of the Matrix confuse me a little. Is the now-halved orb the crystal-like sphere that was within the yellow-orange container, and it's now physically empty?

My only complaint isn't actually about the comic - when I got to my local comic book store and picked it up, it was the last copy, and it had the "A" cover of the G1 Optimus toy; I would've rather liked to get the B cover of Optimus in space with the open Matrix, but whatever.

15. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Yeah, unfortunately it now looks like an editorial edict more than a Costa writing move, and that's how they're going with it. I really hate that we're getting Bumblebee shoved down our throats this way.

He used to be so likable! :lol 

16. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You know I hated the art in this but man the writing was excellent. Very interesting take on Prime and a realistic one at that. I think once he has some time away he will come back better than ever. Why wasn't Roberts on this book from the start? I do wonder if we'll see what Prime is up to in upcoming issues. And man Bee has become a little hardened I see.

17. MECHADOOM

MECHADOOM I'm Doombot and I know it

The only thing that seemed out of place in this issue was Ultra Magnus wanting to go look for the magic Space Knights. But maybe he's sick of the rules and laws he's been using to define himself.

Otherwise, I loved the sheer volume of thought provoking material covered in this book, but I understand why you can't put a book like this out every month.

18. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    Really wish I'd been able to make it out to the comic store tonight...

I think we've been building toward that, actually. In spite of being "voted" leader by his fellow Autobots (however much or little sense that makes, we'll leave alone for now), between Colonel Horiuchi in the Bumblebee mini, Ultra Magnus completely down-talking him during the entire Menasor incident, and Optimus Prime during Space Opera going, "Bumblebee, you're the leader and I'm not questioning your authority, but I'm totally taking the whole team and rocketing off to Cybertron, lates!" ...nevermind being shot in the throat by a human with a Megatron gun, I think the little guy is tired of taking people's shit.

19. Stryker055

Stryker055 Josh Boyfriend

Except, y'know, he didn't die.

Those last few panels, though. If you kinda ignore Chaos as a comic and just use the general plot, you could take the Chaos Prelude, especially the last one, and make it flow perfectly with this issue. The rendition of Prime in those three comics is possibly the best one yet, and easily my favorite.

I like the concepts behind the split, as well. I hope Drift gets the spotlight a little, considering this is going to tie back into his mini. I'm also really curious to see what the Decepticons will do, with Starscream opting for a more laid-back approach while Ratbat's seemingly trying to restart the war.

Overall, this is a huge issue for IDW. I think the comics from now on will make a lot of people happy.

20. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Good points you bring up there.