The Death and return of Superman Graphic novels

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by grimlock1972, Feb 1, 2011.

1. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    Back in 1992 I was rapidly approaching my 20th birthday and my world came to a screeching halt when i found out DC had killed Superman, for me and for many others it was huge shock as he was at the time among the few heroes we felt was off limits to be killed off.

It was as we know big news world wide. I have read the novelization of the story by Roger Stern entitled The Death and Life of Superman, played the snes game based on the story line, and even read a page here and there of the comic involved in the story, and i have seen the DC dvd doomsday based on the story.

But I have never had the pleasure of reading the entire story in comic form, until now as i have ordered all 3 graphic novels in the series: The Death of Superman, World with out a Superman, and The return of Superman. I am curious about others thoughts on the series, I am familiar with the general story so no worries about spoilers.

2. Nez Pierce

Nez Pierce @evildanish

News Credits:
    I found the Return of Superman trade to be a good read...have read it numerous times over the years. I like the story.
    Death of Superman was less interesting.
    Never really got into DC otherwise...didn't bother picking up World Without a Superman...

3. Cybermnky

Cybermnky Well-Known Member

I enjoyed Death of Superman but much more so the Return of Superman. I also never read World without a Superman though so let me know how it turns out.

4. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think 'Death of Superman' is good enough for something that was mostly intended as set-up for larger stories. In the context that the 'how' of Superman's death was a lot less important than actually getting him killed off, it's a bit easier to forgive some of the story's flaws. Even still, the characters were written fairly well and the reactions of Lois and Superman, in particular, felt genuine. I thought 'World Without a Superman' was really good and surprisingly moving. There's a few stupid subplots going in the background (Cadmus), but they take a backseat to exploring all of the characters and their reactions further. I don't think the whole 'death' storyline would have had as much gravitas if it hadn't been for this part that showed the effect of Superman's death on those close to him and the world around him. My favorite part, though, is Return/Reign. For being as long as it was (~20 issues), I thought it moved surprisingly fast and there was a lot going on. Even bringing in two new characters and revamping two pre-existing characters, it managed to develop all of them well and still give plenty of face-time to the supporting cast. Reign probably also had the biggest impact on the DCU in general, bringing in two characters who would go on to headline their own series, adding a new recurring villain and essentially kicking off everything that's happened in the GL franchise since.

Given how many retcons there have been to DC history since the Death/Reign story was published, I'd be interested to know how much besides the broad strokes is still in continuity, though.

5. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I thought the "Death of Superman" was ok. I loved "World Without Superman". Mainly the Waverider story and how Bibo (sp?) the bum reacts. The only reason I liked "Return" was the Green Lantern setup for "Emerald Twilight"

6. silentdarth

silentdarth Josie's Daddy

Ebay:
    I was always pretty impressed by Superman 75 in particular. You could argue a book full of splach pages is overkill, but the writing was so good, I never cared. The page that starts with, "Like 2 battle weary boxers who have gone the distance..." Part is really impressive.

7. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

What I remember the most was all the mainstream publicity this story got. At the time, the anti-hero, with lots of big guns and without the burden of morality, was really popular and the world kind of forgot about the world's first superhero and what he stands for. When the time finally came for Superman to die, the press was full of stories about how important Superman is as a character, as a mythology, as Americana and about how the world needs him as a beacon of hope.

It is real easy to define Superman by his powers alone, or that he's just a boring goody two-shoes, but that isn't what Superman is. It goes much deeper than that. He is the personification of goodness, truth and justice. Here is a character that could conquer the world in less than a day, yet he chooses to look over the Earth and protect it's people. That is pretty incredible.

8. grimlock1972

News Credits:
    my order has shipped and oddly its in two shipments 1 is just the Death of superman and the rest is in the other. the funny part is I got 2 emails this morning , 1st saying they shipped out Death of Superman separately to provide faster service, 2 unrelated emails below that is the second saying the rest of my order shipped out as well o_O ??? I am getting free shipping so won't complain but it it was lolwut? inducing.

Switch625 spot on to what I meant at the time i had not seen so much fuss over a change to a long standing piece of American since the New Coke debacle.

Batman has referred to Superman as the big blue boyscout and i find that fitting.

9. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    A little off topic, but New Coke was actually not a debacle. It was probably one of the most brilliant marketing strategies ever.

10. herugrim

herugrim Defiler of Energon

Ebay:
    Bought the Death and Return of Superman Omnibus which has all three graphic novels and I was extremely happy. Death of was the biggest sluggfest in comic history a title that it still holds as far as I know. The animated version doesn't nearly do it justice.

World without is a great novel as well and you're missing out on some really classic moments. It really hammers the death of Superman in and has some major development for the remaining cast of Metropolis.

Return of was a great wrap up to the overall storyarc. It has a good supply of action and story, it's a great finale.

I would also recommend Superman Doomsday hunter/prey as a prequel/sequel to the whole saga. Trial Of Superman also features the cast from Return of and is a decent story. For stories that build up to it the trilogy of Exile, Eradication, and Panic in the Sky introduce many of the characters featured in the death and return of saga as well as having a really nice storyarc of their own.

11. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Kimber/Stormer Fanboy

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I liked "World Without a Superman" the best becasue it showed how everyone, form Lois Lane, to Batman, dealt with Superman's death. "The Death of Superman" was more or less a slugfest, while "The Return of Superman" was good the first time I read it, as the individual issues. I was pretty convinced Cyborg was the real deal for a while.

12. grimlock1972

News Credits:
    I got them today and have already read them all and o enjoyed the entire series , and i am convinced all 3 parts need to be read together.

13. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

You need to read this. Its a really detailed and good story on the Death and Return of Superman. I have read it 9 times now over the 10 or so years I have had it.
    [​IMG]

14. grimlock1972

News Credits:
    I have read it and i intend to get a copy of my own, I got it from the public library after giving up an attempt to get these graphics novels some years before.