The deal with Henkei?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Phoenix Blaze, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Phoenix Blaze

Phoenix Blaze Brain Waster

I collect Classics/Universe. I also collect Henkei. I prefer Henkei. Better colour schemes (for the most part, I prefer the brighter Universe Hound, even if it's less screen accurate) and the chrome, and the packaging etc. But....something else draws my attention to Henkei....the very fact that it *is* Henkei means I want it more! It could be some falsely-placed thought whereby the Japanese one is inherently better because it's made by a Japanese company, and not Hasbro (I irrationally see American made products as somehow inferior, not sure why, probably because of the Wargame Warmachine/Hordes). I'll gladly pay more for Henkei, even if the differences are minor (as with Henkei Inferno), but I can't really say what this defining x-factor really is!

Does anyone else get it? That Henkei is better purely because it is Henkei?

2. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, for the most part they have better paint jobs and tend to be a bit more consumer minded instead of geared to cost cutting. For example, Classics Hot Rod doesn't even come with guns, while the Henkei version has them chromed. Then again, there are many paintjobs I prefer from the Classics line. Bumblebee and Jetfire to name a few.

I really comes down to the paint and accessories. Also the price of importing makes the jump unreasonable to a few.

3. Death333

Death333 Otherwise known as Dx3

News Credits:
    "Russian components, American components.... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN!!!!!"

Or, China in this case. At any rate, it's all personal preference and nothing more. Sometimes Hasbro has the more appealing product, Sometimes Tak/Tom.

4. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    It seems Henkei spends more on paint apps and I appreciate that. Megatron, Starscream, Astrotrain, all far nicer than their Classics versions.

5. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    Isn't the Henkei plastic better quality then Hasbro's as well?

6. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not from what I can tell. Feels about the same. From the figures I have, I feel that the Hasbro plastics seem to be a bit more durable, and the Henkei feels more smooth and looks glossy. (I might be imagining things though)

7. mugen_prime

mugen_prime Well-Known Member

I think it really comes down to preference. I personally MUCH prefer the decos of the Henkei line. I like the color schemes, and the chrome. In most cases the Henkei stuff is a little more true to the original anime colors too. I do prefer Classics Jetfire though, just cos I really love the Stormbringer look. It's a little give n take, some classics look a little better.... most henkei look better.

8. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

i prefer henkie jetfire to hasbros, simply for the cartoon accurate paintjob. it's a nice contrast to the totally inaccurate G1 toy!

is it not just the same stuff?

in reality it probably comes down to how much you like chrome, but i can see a certain exclusive appeal of an expensively imported jap toy over something i picked up in Tesco. Even if it is just in my head!

9. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    same quality plastic, henkei has better paint apps 90% of the time, but the only classics/universe/henkei i had actual mold problems with was henkei thundercracker, such a floppy mess

10. Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime Roll out! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I prefer Universe/Classics stuff. I don't think the paintjobs are different enough to warrant the cost of the things. The only Henkei TFs I own are Wildrider, Red Alert, and the awful Thundercracker. Though I am considering getting Astrotrain and Megatron due to their show-accurate colors.

11. mugen_prime

mugen_prime Well-Known Member

That's how I started out. But once you start....... I started by getting Astrotrain, then Megatron, pretty soon I was replacing most of my Classics with the Henkei versions and buying Henkie stuff instead of the Universe 2.0 stuff

12. ghowildseven

ghowildseven SG Decepticon

I perfer Henkei simply for their manga and G1 screen-accurate.

13. starsaber888

starsaber888 Well-Known Member

i prefer henkei figures cos they have a more cartoon accurate colour scheme.

most of the figures in my collection are henkei. the only classics figures i have are starscream 2.0, ultra magnus, skywarp, skyfire and acid storm, all the rest are henkei. the hasbro figures have pretty tight joints and good paint app...its actually better than henkei's QC!

i love my henkei seekers even though TC has loose wings, they just look good together as they have matching wing deco.

14. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    I really like Henkei a lot more then Universe, much more geared towards collectors with superior paint apps and detail put into the figures. I think the large gap in quality also has to do with that the Hasbro Universe releases have been very sub-par.

I admit I make no secret of the fact that I'm a blatant Takara/Tomy fanboy but at the same time I usually think Hasbro does a pretty good job with most of their releases (especially mainline stuff), but Universe has just been a huge flop for me. Most Universe toys look and feel like cheap KO's (Dinobot, Astrotrain, & Sunstreaker to name a few) were the Henkei's just look really good.

15. Phoenix Blaze

Phoenix Blaze Brain Waster

I actually prefer Hasbro Sunstreaker over the more golden Henkei one. The Henkei looks good, but it's just an example of where I'm not really bothered about which one I have. Same goes for Sunstreaker. Although, if I were to start again, it'd probably all be Henkei besides one or two (for example, if Hasbro had decided to release the upcoming Powerglide originally, I'd have that instead!).

16. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I've been fighting the urge to swap out all of my Classics figures for Henkei.

Naturally, there's no difference in molds which means no difference in quality. But it really is about the paint application and the chrome.

The main reason I don't just go and do it is 1. cost: $30 for a Henkei versus $12 or so for Universe. And 2 is just that I enjoy the hunt too much. I love the feeling of coming home toy in hand. (Even though there is a local import shop that carries Henkeis, it's just... not the same.)

Right now, my Henkei count runs: Megatron, Ratchet, Cyclonus, Astrotrain, Thundercracker, and Inferno. Next one I'm buying once I get around to it will be Hot Shot (Rod), though I won't be displaying it as Hot Shot.

17. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    "Obi-Wan once thought as you do, you dont know the power of the dark side!" :lol 

18. Skylock

Skylock Rogue

News Credits:
    Lol.

19. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Cost
    Availability
    Packaging Consistency
    - TFU boxes/cards are more in-line with the rest of my collection.

these factors are what drives me to stick to TFU

20. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The only henkei figures I have bought are megs, Astrotrain, Ironhide, Ratchet, Red Alert, Strafe and I want a cyclonus.

Its not cuz its Japanese, its just cuz I like the colors better.

edit:
    Not sure I agree with that statement. A lot of the Universe figures had little nods to the collectors like Ironhide, Ratchet and Hotshots license plates for example

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009