The Dark Knight Returns: Parts 1 & 2

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by DrGrim, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Some other time..

News Credits:
    Um holy shit thats based off the little girls view of batman form that one episode in the animated series

2. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    No that episode was based off a 80's graphic novel by Frank miller. This is the full version of the graphic novel.

3. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Yes this has been an issue I've had with a lot of these DVD's they never have the monologues. It leaves out a lot of the good parts of the original comics.

4. hellrasinbrasin

hellrasinbrasin Well-Known Member

The Dark Knight Returns Part 1 - Review -

... A decade has past since Gotham City has seen "The Batman" and in his absence Gotham has become a shell of what it once was just as Bruce himself has become a corpse limping along looking for a place to die. The news in the film is all propaganda designed to purposedly subvert the public against those who stand against the Institutions of society or crime. <I was concerned, how this would come across in the film; as the propaganda spewed by the TV is a critical part of The Dark Knight Returns. Thankfully there was no cause for concern as it comes across as disturbing and impersonal as it was in the book.> The sea of crime committed by The Mutant Gang and Harvey Dent's return to crime are the core reasons for his donning the cowl again.

<I liked Dent's retort of "At least both side match" because it brings up the fact that Dent's psychologically broken not externally and so by healing his body the medical community gave him a clean bill of health -- and giving him a Silver Dollar Coin didn't help anything either> The introdution of Carrie Kelly I thought was handled well she runs off to buy herself a Robin costume after she and her friend are saved by Batman and in fact proves herself right off the bat during Batmans invasion of The Mutants Territory. Just as Batman saved her life she does so for Batman by intervening before the Leader of the Mutants kills him.

<Which brings up the issue of "Never Again" after Jason Todds Death in "Batman: A Death in The Family" Batman is presented as never wanting to endanger a ward again in his war against crime yet here he clearly embraces this kid who has thrown herself into his world. I think that he accepts that no one can replace Jason Todd but their is a war and he needs soldiers> And that brings us to the ending of the 1st Act of the film... The Sons of The Batman have just emerged "The Mutant Gang" is no more. Gordon is retired leaving Batman on his own as he no longer has an alley in the GCPD. And The Joker wakes up.

[Final Thoughts]

<I think that the 2nd Act will deal with the larger scope of The Batman's resurfacing that and he has a small army he's leading won't sit well with everyone. The Joker certainlly is going to be addressed as well as what becomes of the GCPD and The Batman relationship now that Gordons out>

The Dark Knight Returns Part 1 / Part 2
    <TDKRP 1>

- Characters 3/5
    - Story 5/5
    - Music 4/5

Final Score for The Dark Knight Returns Part 1 ***/***** Cowls

5. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think you mean final score for the Dark Knight RETURNS (not Rises)

6. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    How are people seeing this movie already? I thought it didn't come out until September 25th?

7. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    it leaked online apparently

8. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

Since the cover for the movie doesn't show an old Batman, does that mean he won't look old in the movie? One thing I didn't realize about the comic until someone pointed it out was that he looked younger in the first issue. He ages rapidly in every issue until he becomes a Frank Miller esque character.

9. hellrasinbrasin

Its online if you know where to look don't ask me as I'm not sharing links to it. That having being said in answer to your question LegendAntiHero
    Bruce is old at the start of the film and it shows how out of shape he is throughout the film

10. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i got nerd-goosebumps the first time, and EVERY time i watch that.
    his voice is naturally intimidating.

Weller's voice, imo, just sounds like he is phoning the lines in. nothing in it.

11. UltraAlanMagnus

UltraAlanMagnus See ya!

News Credits:
  12. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    It was a good adaptation from what I remember of the graphic novel. Kinda surprised how much I missed all the inner monologues, but that much droning Peter Weller would have put people to sleep. Shame about losing the rubber bullets line though, even if we got a version of it.

Really loved the violence, and how painful they made every hit feel, whether it's just random punks getting slugged, or Bats dismantling the mutant leader. No flashing screen and cut to them falling over here, folks are getting jacked up.

13. CrypticIllusionist

CrypticIllusionist Well-Known Member

That seems to be quite a trend with DC's direct-to-video movies. Doom, Under the Red Hood, Year One, this and I'm sure at least a couple others turned up online prior to release.

14. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

That's good. I think many people in the Batman fandom were dying to see this mini series get animated.

15. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    It's not a trend with DC - EVERY blu-ray/DVD movie shows up on torrent sites as high quality rips at least 2-3 weeks prior to being officially released in stores. Some as long as 2-3 months before being released in stores dependent on how early the studios had the discs manufactured.

16. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
  17. HordakFan

HordakFan Banned

This should kick ass and i've been a fan of the graphic novel since junior high as i knew one day they do a movie based on Miller's masterpiece.

Peter Weller seems like an inspired choice for the title hero.

18. hellrasinbrasin

Yeah while some people will complain about
    The Monologues being dropped
    in this 2 part adaptation of the book they're just gonna have to get past that fact.

19. megapork

megapork Cheese

[​IMG]

Is this scene in he movie?

20. Acid Wing

Acid Wing Senior Alien TF Member

News Credits:
    I was lucky enough to participate in the NYC premiere screening this past Thursday evening at the Paley Media center, and I was impressed. There was a panel for fans to ask, but no Peter Weller or Frank Miller present. Though, David Selby (voice of Commissioner Gordan), veteran voice actor casting director Andrea Romano, director Jay Oliva, and WB marketing director (forget his name) were there.

No major changes if you read the graphic novel/series, but it was interesting to see how the film interpreted when Bruce decides to don the cowl again (with the bat/pearls pages). Peter Weller was awesome, but at times, felt flat. Music was 80-ish synth, which was nicely fitting. The fight scenes, especially with the Mutant Leader were done spectacularly. And megapork, that image was not used in the film.