2D Artwork: The Cybertronic Bestiary Page 22

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by ZacWilliam, Apr 18, 2012.

1. ZacWilliam

ZacWilliam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Had Cassettes on the mind recently thanks to the four new JTF Cassettes and such. So I figured it was maybe a time they got an entry to themselves.

[​IMG]

I really do love cassettes, so I couldn't resist doing one design of my own. Mooncry the owl is based partially on Ratbat's transform scheme but with a few twists of her own. I'd give alot for new "exactly in G1-style" (well, with tampograms instead of stickers) animal cassettes.

-ZacWilliam, non-record-ified Brontobot possibly coming next time...

Attached Files:

2. Rewind Eject

Rewind Eject Well-Known Member

I love it. I especially like the detailing of how they are modified and your hints at what rumble and frenzy are. You know, that pair (Dial and Saur) are the only recordicons I didn't think of when you said obscure cassettes. Well played Zac William, well played.

3. Wingnut

Wingnut Stayin' Alive!

Ebay:
    Coolness! Who doesn't love cassette bots?

4. ZacWilliam

News Credits:
    Thanks guys. It's very hard not to love the cassettes.

I've slightly screwed myself over with this one though. Now on top of longing for the Japanese Cassette toys I don't have, now I'm ALSO longing for the non-existant owl cassette toy that I made up for this page. So want a toy of him now. :) 

-ZacWilliam, an owl just feels like a cassette choice I could have seen them actually making back in the day...

5. ZacWilliam

News Credits:
    An increadibly awesome Bestiary reader made a CGI model of Mooncry!

Had to give this a link:

wizardofosmond's deviantART gallery

-ZacWilliam, absolutely THRILLED by this.

6. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

That owl is awesome, the original and the 3D version! And the brontobot is of course, adorable.

As I've said before, I love the idea of Cybertronian fauna... but just for argument's sake, how does this interpretation reconcile the fact of Ravage, Buzzsaw and Ratbat being some of the more intelligent Decepticons, and clearly occupying autonomous roles that place them above the station of "trained animals"?

zmog

7. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I really like your design work here. I also really enjoy your presentation of your designs with the "zoo" like illustrations. The font you chose and how you illustrated this are really neato :thumb 

8. ZacWilliam

News Credits:
    Thanks.
    Full colored version of Mooncry is now up on his deviantart page too.

The text here is my attempt to deal with this. Part of the issue is of course continuity based, cassettes in the G1 cartoon are mostly portrayed as animals (or just a bit above that) while in the G1 comic and package bios they're clearly regular full TFs that just happen to have animalish shapes. Then you have the fact that some cassettes in some stories have been specifically confirmed to be representatives of certain mechanimals species...

I've always have prefered seeing the cassettes as full TFs that just happen to have non-humanoid bot forms. So I was hesitant to do them in the Bestiary series. But 1) folks kept asking when I would do them and 2) some cassettes "Saur" and Steeljaw among them are confirmed part of certain mechanimal species as well as cassettes. It was actually Dark of the Moon fiction that solved the issue for me. Movie Laserbeak, Ravage and the like were established to be mechanicals who were upgraded to full sentience and conciousness. It struck me that this could work just as well in G1.

So what I figure is that they start as Mechanimals. Explaining the non-humanoid forms, animal-ness, and such but are taken and undergo the Recordicon upgrade described in the page above. The process upgrades their brains and T-cogs to full TF level and boosts their weak sparks (mentioned in Roberts MtMtE) to a full one by linking it to their Host/Master (Soundwave or Blaster).

At that point they would become full concious, sentient TFs. Just as smart, individual and alive as a regular TF. It could also be done to certain Drones maybe ( to explain Raindance and Grandslam) or Minicons (Rumble, Eject, and co.). That's the point of the Rossums Revolution procedure I talk about above. It's my way of imagining them being both fauna (originally) and sentient regular TFs (after the upgrade). (In some continuities Rat Bat would be a special case, as he's established as a TF or a Minicon who was "mechanimalized" as punishment)

-ZacWilliam, imagines the combiner cassettes as later variations on the procedure where two cassettes are spark linked to each other as well as the host, granting them a robot form and greater autonomy.