The Cullen Audition Has Happened

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Master Fwiffo, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch

News Credits:
    See previous post

If this were a kids movie I would agree, but as its not, its really a mute point.

Having Cullen reprise his role is a fan boys wet dream and I think it would bring a nice nostalgic touch to the film.

In the end this is a big budget hollywood film. If Cullen gets the role, its because he fits what the director/producers are looking for.

2. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Sounds good, hope he get's it.

Also people, the amount an "actor" gets paid IN NO WAY represents their quality. Plenty of really shitty actors get paid millions, while all the good ones get paid very little. Just because an actor is "B-list" as such does not mean they're crap.

3. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    we also have to remember that cullen was instrumental in the development of optimus prime. he flat-out told the higher ups that there were certain things optimus prime wouldnt say, wouldnt do. he is the character. he's the reason so many people had prime as their childhood hero.

every other optimus prime VA has just imitated him. what does that tell you? He's the original, he is optimus prime. the other VAs know this, or they wouldnt try so damn hard to sound like him.

4. JKahn913

JKahn913 Bunch of Mooncalves

Yippee!

5. butz

butz slippery when wet

He has a really good voice for a character like Optimus Prime (namely, the original Prime- ancient, wise, noble, good to a fault, etc.). Its irrelevant that he based his Prime voice off of John Wayne or whoever- thats what he felt would work with the character, and historically, I'd say he was right on the money. Besides, I've seen many voice actors claim to have learned their trade by immitating, and basing their voices off of famous people.
    If the character for this version of Prime is supposed to be anything like the original, then I think Cullen and his Prime voice would at least be a good choice for the role, regardless of whether he invokes nostalgia. If someone else is picked because they really can bring a better voice for this role, then so be it; I just don't want them to use some big name actor with an inappropriate voice for the character simply because of name recogntion.

6. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

I can't picture this movie being more then PG-13.So I think that classifies as a kids movie.As a kid I saw plenty of PG-13 movie with my mom/dad

Never said it wouldn't,just that I don't think it's needed to THAT degree

And since we don't know Prime's character,Cullen very well MIGHT NOT fit.

We already know that Welker's Megatron doesn't fit the characterization of 2007's Megatron after all

Okay,still doesn't mean he HAS to be involved with the movie IMPO.And really only Chalk's been the Prime of the new series.I REALLY doubt he tried so hard,maybe it's the voice that worked for those VAs.I mean Japanese Prime's had many different VAs

I doubt you have anything to worry about Butz

Judging from the current cast,they AREN'T going for big name actors

At least 4 members of the cast are from network TV.So hardly big names.So I think you should be able to let go of that worry by now :)  I'm just kind of tired of hearing the same "big names" worry so often

And honestly if they REALLY wanted big names.Do you think they'd even LET Cullen audition? ;) 

7. butz

butz slippery when wet

The last few sentences of my post were going to say something like that, but I figured my post was enough of a mess without it, so I clipped it off. Yeah, not really anything to worry about there, but thats what would make me upset if they passed over Cullen (or anybody else who fits the role) for.

8. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

I still say Chalk is more Prime than Cullen is.

Sad thing is... My opinon might have been diffrent if it wern't for all the fanboys who insist Cullen is Prime and there is no other Prime and Cullen should be Prime just because he's the first.

Despite your nostalgia clouded belives.. First is not always the best. Simply the first.

By your own logic... We should only use things like Commadors for computers... They where the firsts.. So they -must- be the best.

9. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    To be honest, I don't play video games anymore. You want to know why? I don't like the new games. They are too involved and require too much time to just sit and play for a few minutes. I used to love my NES and Atari. The games were good for short playing. So IMO, the later things are not better. Sometimes the original is the best. :D 

10. neospark1

neospark1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Priceless

That is THE BEST response I have EVER read on these boards. You, sir, are King. :thumb 

11. butz

butz slippery when wet

Thats actually not my logic at all- I legitimately think he has a good voice for Prime. Not everyone who likes Cullen does so simply because he was first.

12. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Drat, outsmarted by a Lorry, I am disgraced

I so hope they dont get cullen or welkner to reprise roles.

13. Enigma2K2

Enigma2K2 Robot In Disguise TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ... if he don't get it, they better get Gary Chalk...

14. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

Good to know you're not like that.

I can ACTUALLY respect your stance A LOT more knowing that it's based more on the "I like his voice" type of opinion rather then the typical "Cullen is Prime" opinion :thumb 

15. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

I personally hope he gets it. His voice is the right tone for prime..and no just because he was the 1st prime...he just has that commanding ton....Garry Chalk does not. He is OK for the new kids, and He has not really created anything memorable to me and I have seen all his versions of Prime. He is just imitating what was already Proven to have worked because everyone that grew up with G1 can STILL recognize the voice...even megs voice to a point...THEY captured the generations...not chalk...most people don't even know there still IS a transformers cartoon or toys for that matter...I do not know how many times i have been looking at them and people have been like, "Transformers? They still make those? I remember the old show".

16. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    have you seen PG-13 movies today?
    Either way, dont expect a little kids movie. This is for general audiences everywhere. Something that will attract the adults just as much as the kids [think X-Men and Spiderman]

has the "cool" factor the kids gobble up yet is still mature and has that draw to the older audiences [blood, freakin awesome fight scenes, an actual resemblance of a story :p ]

well it IS Optimus Prime. the end all-be all hero. How much different can it get?

personally i never much cared for Welker's Megatron in the first place

My opinion, Cullen IS Prime. its been argued why in this thread already and i agree with just about all points. But if not Cullen, then go with someone who fits.

Nothin against Chalk, but he just isnt "Prime."

Chalk will always be Optimus Primal to me and really find his Prime in the latter series to honestly..not be good at all :p 
    but then i blame that on the translators and poor writing

Besides, the movie guys have said they dont want to have any real connection to past shows/continuity other than the part about them being "transformers". Thats why Bay's been so leary of even auditioning the old VA's. What makes you think he'd jump at the chance to get Chalk? G1 is over 20 years old. We dont have no more Cullen, Welker, etc etc, whilst all the current shows kids see has Chalk/Kaye. Id think if they went for them there'd be an even stronger connection between the movie and current shows because its whats most fresh in peoples minds

so just, if not Cullen, then pick someone who will do it justice. Someone who could "live up to him" you could say

I just pray that if we get just one more chance to hear Cullen reprise his role as Optimus Prime, let this be that chance.

As for those who have doubts about whether he could really convey good dialogue [since ya know....his Optimus was from a nifty G-rated 80's childrens cartoon. the dialogue/writing wasnt exactly amazing] i guess i'm kinda on the same boat

but then i believe too that alot of times an actor is only as good as the script he's given [take Chalk/Kaye for example. Their work in beast wars was downright awesome. their work in armada/energon/cybertron? ugh..pales *severely* in comparison

17. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Well, here's hoping he gets it, but judging by what Don Murphy said (yes, I read through most of that thread over there) I wouldn't hold my breath. Murphy tends to beat around the bush about alot of stuff and the phrase he keeps repeating makes me feel that he was interviewed and didn't get the part.

I'd like to hear Cullen reprise his role again simply because he has a good voice. Secondly, yeah... I do think that Cullen -is- Prime, because of the emotion he managed to convey to the character Vs what I've heard of Chalk. I feel that Chalk tries too hard to immitate Cullen's version of Prime. Which, to me, ends up sounding like Primal trying to impersonate Prime's voice. It's not that I dislike Chalk's voice... having heard him doing other voice acting, I say he's got a good voice overall, but my problem with him as Prime is just what I said above. However, if they get someone that conveys the character I'll be happy.

18. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Drat, outsmarted by a Lorry, I am disgraced

I loved gary chalks primal but they shoud really get someone new to lend their voice to Optimus imo.

19. Star Cracker

Star Cracker Well-Known Member

My issue with Chalk is like what others have stated, he simply doesn't have the deep authoritative voice that Cullen has. Seriously, if this movie is supposed to be darker than the shows, Cullen can pull that off. A lighter, less powerful voice will just seem awkward at best.

Though I also wonder if they would have Cullen VA the part of Ironhide as well?

In terms of Megatron, I'd go with Welker. Yes, partly due to a nostalgia trip, but also because of the shared dynamic with Cullen. To hear Cullen and then someone else, even if it were David Kaye, might seem a bit strange (granted I really do like Kaye's Megatron from BW and BM).

20. brabman

brabman Member

Peter Cullen for president