The cost of exclusives?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Omnius, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hi all,

Last week I picked up the shopto.net exclusive WfC Legends Starscream - basically Cybertron Legends Starscream in a G1-style colour scheme - which comes in a small box with printed instruction sheet.

Now this is an unusual little item, insofar as I believe it was exclusive to that particular UK online retailer as a pre-order bonus for War for Cybertron, and it got me wondering:

How much would something like this cost? If an individual or company wanted to commission an exclusive Legends redeco from Hasbro, how much do people think it would cost, or what the minimum production run would have to be to make it viable? To the best of my knowledge Starscream must have been produced in the hundreds or low thousands.

All thoughts & opinions are welcome. :D 

2. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    good qestion, maybe one to put to hasbro in the next Q&A. Makes me wonder to what extent a smaller convention i.e auto assembly couldn't commision a small exclusive if some online retailer can do it.

3. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

From what I've gathered thru the years of reading the internet.

Store exclusives are incentives companies & stores use to help sell other items.

the more exclusives stores get,the more newer product stores get before the other competing stores.

companies use store exclusives as bargaining chips to get stores to order in higher volume on there other or similar items.

4. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Right. The product by itself probably loses money. But Hasbro and the stores make so much on the other end iwith the game that it more then makes up the difference.

5. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Corporations generally do not provide estimates on production numbers and internal costs to the public. So we can guess at it all we want, but they won't tell us the specifics.