The Constructicons Diving Scene

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Charsiupao, Sep 11, 2010.

1. Charsiupao

Charsiupao Well-Known Member

Sorry if this has been discussed before, or if it's not the right place.

When you first see the Constructicons from the air, you can see Scrapper parked beside Mixmaster, then Long Haul is perpendicular to them, and Rampage is beside Long Haul. Scrapper looks way way bigger than Rampage, though (who looks even smaller than Mixmaster). When Ravage lands, though, the scene changes and it's no longer Scrapper beside Mixmaster but a huge Volvo crane. Nevertheless, it looks like Rampage would be the smallest of the lot. When the Doctor says "kill the little one", wouldn't Rampage instead of Scrapper be the victim? Unless Rampage, expecting something like this, delibrately stood on the other side of Megatron so that Scrapper was the next smallest one between the bigger Mixmaster (who was the boss with the flashy hood ornament in any case) and the giant Long Haul. Or is there a known inconsistency there?

I also want to share how much I loved that diving scene. Scrapper kind of just leaps in, while Mixmaster does a vault over the railings. Rampage then does a spectacular flip, and Long Haul (who politely waits for Rampage to go first) doesn't quite get to give that doubtless huge splash before the scene changes. You could almost read the expression on Long Haul's face, after Rampage's 10-point diving effort, that he was a bit embarrassed to just drop in there with all the grace of a hippo, but had to anyway. He really looked like he was hesitating. =) I was so so sad when Rampage died (to Bumblebee!! I still can't believe it, especially with support from Ravage. The romance of Bee's underdog character is just gone!), but even more so when Long Haul died without even a chance at a scrap like Brawl had in the first movie.

2. SilverOptimus

SilverOptimus Movie News Monster Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Kill the little one = Kill the less-valuable one

Besides, I don't think Ravage has enough parts to repair Megatron's damaged limbs.

Also, I'm not sure you follow the IDW comic books. If we consider them to be canon, then Ravage is still alive and under Soundwave's command. If Ravage is in the 3rd movie, then you'll find the explanation if you read "Tales Of The Fallen #5" and "Transformers: Nefarious #1 to #6". :) 

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  3. Alienbot

Alienbot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I believe the Volvo excavator was spliced in to hide the fact Scrapper's CG model was being used for the generic. This is evident from a Decepticon being used for scrap parts not being in the novelization or comic adaptation as well as the "five, now there's six" fiasco: I'm thinking the idea was something Bay (and we eventually) found amusing and to establish Jetfire's parts being used for Optimus.

Grace of a hippo, oh I'm loving that saying.

4. Charsiupao

Ravage survives? That's great news!! I wish Rampage and Long Haul return as well - who knows, with multiple Constructicons it could always happen! =)

By the way, I meant Rampage, not Ravage, when it came to the spare parts. I always get the names confused myself..

5. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
  6. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movies Fan/Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    its was Scrapmetal who was shown in the scene (horever he is a scrapper look-a-like btw)

7. Charsiupao

Scrapmetal then! Poor thing... the name should have given him a clue as to his fate.

8. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So its Scrapmetal not Scrapper that gets killed, this really clears things up for me!

9. MenasorMaster

MenasorMaster Stunticon Warrior

I always thought with "little one" he meant the youngest construction, as he has the best and newest parts unlike the older ones.

10. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    I totally agree with you on your first paragraph, specifically that Caterpillar switching over to the Kobelco or whatever it is called. That scene really was spectacular and fooled me into believing we were going to see a lot of them.

The "ze-little-one" might have been sarcasm because Scrapper is quite big, about LongHauls scale. I would have insted enjoyed the idea of the constructicons building/constructing Megatron back together with the help of Blackouts spark, somehow; or with the help of a trick Soundwave could have contributed with.

TF3 is suppose to be the last film, but I hope we get constructicons squeezed in there with lines, one last time.:thumbs2: 

Good thread.

11. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was confused as to how they were in two places at once, devastator on the pyramids (isn't devastator rampage and the others combined?) and they are also in the desert fighting. The one that took Sam's parents (Rampage?) look just like Devastator who was at the pyramids at the time. I'm confused

12. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movies Fan/Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    its Simple, the Movie-verse Constructicosn are Drones!. so there are alot of COsntructicons, sicne they are drones

the COmbiner Drones formed devs, while the Non-Combining drones were fighting

The Fallen even refers the cosntructicons has drones in the comics

13. cuad

cuad VOK EMISSARY

News Credits:
    It took me three views to even understand what was happening in this scene. 2nd view to realize those where constructicons, 3rd view to find out Scalpel was even there and that they killed one of their own.

My final impressions were that it's unusually violent for transformers and that I hate the movie Decepticons.

14. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    Hasbro dubbed the drone who got scrapped for Megatron "Scrapmetal." He just is a slight tweak of Scrapper's CGI model. But, I like to be ignorant at times, and I still call Scrapmetal, "Ze little vun." It just caught on with me, and I don't feel like changing it.

I think all the Constructicons were able to combine - it would make sense. Just keep a set of Constructicons handy, and make sure they're all able to combine. Megatron and The Fallen want as much destruction and power to conquer stuff, so multiple Constructicons who can all combine - that is logical.

It's what I'd do, to have multiple Devastator's.

Which raises another, small question - if multiple Constructicons exist, and they all can combine to make Devastator... can there be more than one Constructicon for each body part? For example, can two Scavenger's or two Long Haul's come together to make an even BIGGER leg? I already know that the extra yellow dump truck helps with the arm or leg, and another steam shovel helps with the High Tower hand. But could that be possible?

Not that we'd ever see something of that magnitude on film. I mean, it was hell on Earth to animate Devastator - whether they actually burned a computer or not, I'm skeptical - but a double-decker sandwich Devastator? THAT would be why Bay would need $400 million for the budget.

15. Charsiupao

I just rewatched it, and it seems that they had originally planned to make it Scrapper who died, then later changed their minds. That scene with the Crane is totally out of place (and poor editing, really). They didn't just CGI a Crane over Scrapper, they refilmed that part.

If you watch the bird-eye view, you can see that Scrapper and MixMaster are parked along virtually the entire width of the landing - there's no way red Rampage could possibly move forward without knocking into Mixie.

In the ground view, Ravage lands, knocks into Rampage's shovel, crawls across the landing and hides beside Mixie, and you can see straight ahead to the starboard of the ship with the sailor working there. There's suddenly at least 6-7 yards of extra space in front of Mixie now, not only enough for Rampage (who has now turned yellow) to move forward, but for you to see a huge gap between Rampage's left and Mixie's front. Ravage then hides.

In the diving scene, the yellow bot (who is larger than poor Mixie) leaps into the water, then Mixie vaults the railings. Rampage, who has now turned red again, does a yeehaa somersault and Long Haul stands there with a bead of anime sweat forming on his brow.

Going by the Rampage colour, it seems that the ground view scene with the Scrapmetal crane and yellow Rampage just does not fit, but for canon sake I guess Scrapper is now Scrapmetal.. with so many duplicate Constructicons I wonder why they couldn't just call him another Scrapper. It's not like we don't already have 3 Long Hauls (or was the yellow one Payload?). It's a shame the scene was ruined - it's one of my son's favourite scenes and I'm having great difficulty in explaining to him what happened to Scrapper... :( 

16. mttyns

mttyns Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The poor Constructicons were a big mess in ROTF. Although I wouldn't call them drones as that implies they're all mindless copies, there are several Decepticons with the same alt mode and body type. It seems that the designs for the individual Constructicons and Devastaor were revised independantly which is why Longhaul's alt mode is a smaller dump truck than originally intended to match the size of Rampage but his bot mode is still much, much bigger, while it still appears that two vehicles make up Devastator's left leg as there are four sets of treads. Add to that the last-minute decision to have Overload making up Devastator's face even though his alt mode is clearly much larger that Mixmaster's. What also never made sense to me is how the green dump truck was right next to Simmons and Leo while the rest of the Constructicon were way, way back, but then suddenly it ended up connected as a leg, let alone the dump truck and bulldozer that pull up at the edge of the quarry but we never see them transform or move down into the quarry so they could be anything!

Basically I'm not sure the designers or renderers by the end of it really knew what vehicles corresponded to what robots or parts of Devastator because the designs had been tweaked so much they'd lost track!

17. Charsiupao

I thought Devastator's face came out of Mixmaster's front? There was a scene where the front part opened and the face slid out.

I also saw Devastator's left arm requiring Hightower as a forearm and Scrapper as the hand instead of on being the right hand and the other the left. I wonder how many constructicons there were in total in Devastator as you would have needed more of them to form the other hand if both Scrapper and Hightower were on the left hand. It's a mess, yeah, but heavily entertaining if you're not a real fan of the characters, which Michael Bay doesn't seem to be. In a way it frees him from the restrictions which all of us would impose on ourselves had we produced it, on the other hand some of the things he says/does just annoy.

18. ThaConqueror

ThaConqueror Rock! Robot Rock!

Nine.

Scavenger as the upper torso.
    Overload as the abdomen (crotch if you're feeling juvenile).
    Mixmaster as the head.
    Scrapper as the right arm.
    Hightower as most of the left arm.
    A smaller front-end loader as the left hand.
    Long Haul as the right leg.
    Rampage as the left leg.
    A smaller dump truck as also the left leg.

Hasbro's official position omits the smaller dump truck and the hand guy.

19. Charsiupao

Thanks for the list!! Omitting the smaller front-end loader is unfortunate, as it's so obvious in the transformation, and one of the cooler parts too (where it splits into three pieces to form the fingers). Was the smaller dump truck the one which appeared next to Rampage on the cliff, like a yellow Long Haul?

The fans on Michael Bay's production staff need to drive home to him about these little points, and how they'll come back to haunt his production. If only Bay loved Transformers the way Peter Jackson loved Lord of the Rings.

20. mttyns

mttyns Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah you clearly see the head come out of Mixmaster's front but the markings of Devastator's face look very similar to those on the red dump truck so it looks like the designers took some liberties there. I guess it makes sense that the yellow dump truck (Payload I suppose?) helps make the left leg, though it's a shame that the leg ends up having two more treads rather than wheels. It's that kind of lack of attention to detail more than any kind of toilet humour or focus on human characters that annoys me about ROTF. Same with the Arcees. The final robot designs, cool as I think they are, are an amalgamation of all three concepts and thus could not realistically transform from their alt modes - there are just too many external bike parts missing and small parts from the other bots' alt modes present!

But what's done is done and TF3 is looking like it has more indivdual characters which hopefully means they'll all get more attention paid in the design and animating process...

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010