The Construct-Bots 'Look what I made' Appreciation Thread.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by unicronic, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Got the Optimus and Megatron set last night. It really is an embarrassment of riches with the extra parts and all those weapons.

I gave the little gold missiles and the small fins to Starscream so he looks a little more like that stock photo I posted in here earlier. I also pegged the two grey rifles on his back to emulate the sticky-up vent things either side of a Seeker's head (pity the guns aren't red). When I next have access to a working camera I'll post a pic.

At first I did the obvious with Megatron and pegged his tank turret onto his arm in robot mode like a fusion cannon. But then that meant he was lop-sided so I put it back on his back. I pegged the two purple guns together end-on-end to make a longer rifle for Megs and shifted his arm wheel assemblies so they hang down off his back now. I also angled back his bladed shoulder things and pegged on the two grey 'Soundwave' tubes so they'd run up the back of his upper arms and give him extra upper body bulk.

Because I couldn't decide which to use and which to leave off, I pegged Optimus' three orange bladed weapons together so he has a sort of 'cluster blade' weapon. Currently I'm torn between having the black swords pegged to the back of his hands or pegged to the sides of his missile launcher (pity that pale blue plastic sticks out so badly).
    Also moved his arm wheels around and pegged them to his arms differently so they'd not get in the way so much.

And since I had a few bits left over I gave the rest to Ironhide as he was kinda lacking in gubbins, so he now has black cannons on his arms and red wings with green guns on them. Nice.

I wish more sets has extra bits included because it really heightens the customisation fun.
    I wish the green 'Wheeljack' parts had been a different colour, either grey or black, so they were more neutral for adding onto other figures. Also perhaps a few more clips might've been nice since the figures and accessories have loads of clip bars on them but there's never enough clips to make use of them properly. A few more peg holes wouldn't go amiss either. Ironhide is certainly lacking a decent number of holes to peg stuff into.

I'm still not brave enough to fully mix and match all the parts of the figures though, but when I do I might take a crack at a spider or insect design to get away from the basic four limb configuration.

2. h82blat

h82blat Well-Known Member

Predaking Alternate Blaster configuration:

Instead of attaching the tail-gun to the shoulder and hand, I created this version for more pose ability.

[​IMG]

3. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    Geewunned Starscream up a bit more (should've probably left the gattling guns off though and put faction logos on the wings):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Must get around to painting that stupid helmet...

4. craftsmith

craftsmith Flying Spanner

Ebay:
    Nice to see construct bots getting the G1 treatment, where are the gold missiles from.
    I think the helmet was an idea that worked better in principle (with the metallic half lit face) but failed miserably.
    I've just geewuned soundwave with a few minor paint apps and swapped the yellow torso with wheeljacks black one,. Ill get pics up later.

5. Whovian Zorker

Whovian Zorker Well-Known Member

The gold missiles, gold armbands, leg fins, and the pointy things on his back are all from the Optimus/Megatron two-pack.

6. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    Buggery! Both the ankle clips on my Megatron broke!

I'd unclipped them to clip elsewhere and when I put them back on they'd become really loose and barely hold. On closer inspection both clips now have cracks in them. Holding them up to the light I can see they're about ready to break apart. I should've known to be wary since it's that bright red plastic that stresses and cracks more easily.

This has certainly put me off clipping and unclipping things beyond the first assembly of the figures. The most customising I'll be doing with this line now is with the peg connections.

Now I've got to see if the store I bought the Optimus and Megatron set from has another in stock for an exchange. When I bought this set it was their last one so I dunno if they'll have more stock of it in. It was on discount too so it's not like I can get a refund and just buy another elsewhere for the same price.

Check your Megs clips, folks.

7. AndiusMaximus

AndiusMaximus ErrorCon

One of my Megs clips is starting to get loose, as well, though I can't see any cracks or stress marks on it.

8. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    There's like the merest of stressmarks on mine and the crack is really difficult to see unless I hold it up to the light and squint. But it does go like halfway through both clips so I know they're probably not going to last for much longer.

I checked with the store I bought it from and thankfully they have another one in stock so I should be able to exchange it tomorrow.

9. Stressmark

Stressmark New Member

Hi all,

First time poster, long time lurker. Having being inspired by AndiusMaximus's post in this thread on the Construct Bots armor for FOC Bruticus I went out and picked up Megatron/Optimus set to make my own version. With the remaining parts from the two sets I was able to cobble together a new version of Optimus which I feel fills out the rear of the vehicle mode a little better and gives him some cheeky little shoulder pads/missile launchers. The smokestacks flip around to become handguns as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love this line so much! Although I had to dunk four pieces in boiling water today to remove stresses to the plastic - those c-clips on this set are a little fragile although I've had no issues with the same parts on the soundwave set.

10. craftsmith

Ebay:
    Finally got my camera up and running,
    heres my version of soundwave, used wheeljacks black skeleton to remove the unsightly yellow, hopefully ill get bumblebee soon to switch with.
    Soundwave was tweaked with a few paint apps to make him a little more G1.
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

added some gold to the knees.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

some gold to the chest deck and the 2 strips on either side, also a bit of chrome to the buttons and face vents, and a strip of red on the forearms.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

some metallic red strips to the battery/weapons.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

unnoficial tapedeck mode

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Amazing what a little bit of paint can do for these figures, Lazy Hasbro couldn't even paint the buttons on the waist.
    hope to get more done soon.

11. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    The paint certainly does help. He needs some blue shoulders. Any sets yet with blue shoulders you could steal off of? Plus I just can't fathom why they gave him a bright yellow skeleton. Also a pity they didn't put him a peg hole right in the middle of his chest for proper faction logo placement.

And I've now got my replacement Optimus and Megatron set. I won't be messing about unclipping and reclipping anything from now on.

12. craftsmith

Ebay:
    I just put the faction logo on the shoulder, I would never put it on one of those waist holies. you could always use a repro sticker on the chest, I suppose. I was gonna paint the shoulders blue earlier, but realised I only have metallic blue or sky blue and it would look odd.
    Ah well that's another line I said I wasn't getting sucked into, masterpiece, G1, kreo, prime, prime BH, Beast wars, wst, war for cybertron and now constructbots. Damn you Hasbro/takara.

13. f-primusunicron

f-primusunicron i just wanna be loved

News Credits:
    what megatorn clips? images pls, since i havent seen any constructbot and when i read that, it really scared me, i mean i so frigging want one of these sets because of the customizing part(and because what you have done so far on this tread rocks) and was planing to get meg as soon as it gets here(not anymore though) -_-

14. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    Tell me about it. I bought one just for the sake of curiosity and now I have six of them.
    These ones broke on mine:

[​IMG]

There are five of them in this set: two for the ankles, two for the wrists and one for the neck. I think if they'd been made of one of the other plastics in this set they'd have been fine, but they're made from that kind of bright red plastic that I find is more prone to stressing and cracking. If you have more than one set you could always swap them out for less breaky ones, like from a cheaper Basic figure or something.

These particular joints don't need unclipping for transformation so they should be fine if you're not clipping and unclipping them all the time to constantly use them to customise (although mine broke just from unclipping them only once). From now on I'll just be leaving them in place and just using the pegs for all my customising. Pity, but better safe than sorry when it's a £35 set.

On a more positive note, Megs and Optimus are happy again:

[​IMG]

Megs with his double gun (although I'm sure everyone has done this):

[​IMG]

How I've got those extra 'engine' tubes fixed to bulk out his upper body. Also since I took this photo I've moved the wheel assemblies again and pegged them into the two holes in the turret part higher up his back so they're not hanging around his arse:
    [​IMG]

Optimus with the wheel assemblies pegged to the back of his forearms, his energon 'cluster' blade, and his stabby blade rifle:

[​IMG]

15. Falconhood

Falconhood Harbinger of Apokalypse

so, is this the official Construct-o-Bots thread?
    [​IMG]
    Optimus Prime Construct-O-Bot (Translucent solo pack)
    [​IMG]
    love the head
    [​IMG]
    I like the tires on the legs, not dangling off the arms. I don't care if he can transform as is, asthetics are more valuable to me.

16. Falconhood

Falconhood Harbinger of Apokalypse

17. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    I quite like the see-through red there, but why did that have to swap the dark blue skeleton colour for that awful 'Allspark' blue? Nice that he now has grey thighs, but a bummer that his shoulders are now grey instead of red. Also a pity that the blue hands are now black. Also, is that 'Hasbro Grey' plastic rather than the 'metallic' grey used in the Ultimate two-pack? Shame they skimped on painting the 'underpants' too.
    Some of it I like, some of it I don't. Can't decide if I like the different head design better either, although it is slightly more Geewunny which is nice.
    Nice they've got a different gun to the missile launcher, but I wish it could've been something designed more like his G1 rifle than just a blue version of Constructbots Wheeljack's gun.

But I suppose there has to be some differences to make people want it as well as or instead of the Ultimate two-pack version.

If I could just buy the translucent red parts and maybe the head separately from the rest of the set then that's all I'd want since I have the other set already. It's not enough to make me double-dip on the guy.

I wonder if we'll ever get BayFormers-inspired Constructbots? Swap the chest and head on this guy and add a few flames and it would be done.

Also, further to the conversation earlier in the thread about us painting these sets, have Reprolabels done anything for Constructbots yet?

18. h82blat

h82blat Well-Known Member

Wheeljack earns his wings.

Attack mode:
    [​IMG]

Robot mode:
    [​IMG]

Alternate jet mode:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just having some fun customizing using Wheeljack and parts from the Prime-Megs two-pack.

This does transform with some parts morphing of the wings.

More photos on my flickr site:

Flickr: h82blat's Photostream

19. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    Pretty cool. Maybe pick up the Starscream set so you can use the light grey wings instead of the red.

Since I'm no longer going to risk unclipping stuff anymore, I'm limited to just the pegs for customising. I felt Megatron's tank mode needed something doing to it because it was kinda weedy in places. As much as it was a nice change to have one of these figures reversed in alt mode, I felt he's better served the regular way around and with added gubbins. Pity they couldn't have given him the split box thing to fill in-between his wheels like they did with Optimus because then he'd have been so much better the reversed way around as intended. I suppose I could steal the box thing off Optimus and add it to Megs if I really wanted to, even if it would be the wrong colour.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm starting to get but of an interest in these.

How are they compared to say, Hero Factory or Bionicle or something like that?