The Console War - Kickback Switches Sides

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Kickback, Oct 24, 2006.

1. Kickback

Kickback @GeekWithChris Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    That's right. I'm now pro-Nintendo.

How can one not be? As a gamer, I cannot ignore the strides Nintendo has been making towards not just the casual gamer, but the hardcore gamer as well. All the upcoming features on the Wii, coupled with the incredible DS system, has proven to be a winner.

Sony, on the other hand, seems to consistently shoot themselves in the foot. Continual reports of silly things (the controller, the battery in the controller, their silly flame-inciting fact sheet) as well as the overall system price has turned me sour. Not even Final Fantasy XII, with Square-Enix's promise of "continual in-game updates", has me losing faith in my favorite gaming company. But Nintendo is releasing all those classics games I love from Square-Enix ...

Anti-Sony? Not yet, but getting there.

As for Microsoft ... I still think they're a little high on themselves. They're still #2 in US and #3 in Japan, which hardly gives one the right to gloat as much as they seem to do about their system (which is having continual problems being reported around the 'net ... not to mention some hefty prices to fix said problems).

So yeah. Hell froze over.

2. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Kickback is pro-Nintendo??! Unpossible!!!!!

And I for one have always been very pro-Nintendo (since I first played Mario Bros 3).
    But now Im more pro-Nintendo than ever. First party exclusives coming to Wii look great (Zelda, Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, Smash Bros Brawl, Excite Truck) Their 3rd party support is looking strong going in (Red Steel, Elebits, Rayman). Ive got my Wii on preorder, and am eagely awaiting Nov 19! :D 

Been anti-Sony till about last year or so. I've been loving the looks of Sony's exclusive lineup on the PS2, and have been enjoying my PSP for what it is. So now I dont really want to hate on Sony, but with the PS3, they're just making it too hard not to hate on them. But once the dust dies down, I may be willing to pickup a PS3 with either Warhawk or Lair.

Also, If I go 360, the games I want are Gears of War and Dead Rising. But with 360, I forsee a bunch of first party PC ports, so I may not be so eager to dive in once DirectX 10 games are out. I would like to get a 360 seeing how its controller feels great in my hands, but sadly, they lack alot of Japanese support at the moment.

So Im loving the Wii, but the PS3 and 360... Im just not sure about these yet. Gonna wait it out for awhile.

3. BigPrime3000

BigPrime3000 Well-Known Member

People are still having problems with their 360? My first one crapped out, but MS replaced it absolutely no charge and I haven't had the slightest hint of a problem since then.

Sony seems like they just went completely ******ed recently. Their thinking that there are enough early adopters and extremely high-tech savvy people out there to make a blu-ray drive and extremely high-priced console will make money is a little arrogant IMO. It seems to me that they think that people will buy anything PS-related as far as video games go and that's a big mistake. I've been hating on Sony ever since my PS2 broke and they wouldn't do anything for me, and even before that I rarely played my original PS to begin with. Copying Nintendo's control design (despite what they say, I still believe that they didn't put a motion sensor into their controller until they say Nintendo's), the price, the unproven technology, and several of their propoganda techniques has done nothing but to further cement my dislike of Sony's video game division.

I've been a Nintendo fan my whole life, until X-Box and 360 came out. I'm extremely excited to get my hands on the Wii. However, I'm not going to officially declare my intentions to own it until I see at least a half years worth of games released for it. I really dig how Nintendo seems to truely care about innovation and new ways to keep games interesting, while MS and Sony seem to mainly think that graphics are the most important thing in the game, which is a line of thinking that I completely disagree with. I'm not entirely sure that there are enough developers are out there that can really utilize the Wii's control scheme, pretty much every time I see a preview or an article for a game that is being ported over to the Wii I cry a little inside at what will likely be a bastardation of the Wii's controller. But the support I've seen at developing completely original titles designed for the Wii gives me great hope. I just hope that a year after launch all of these developers and publishers still see a reason to concentrate on developing and publishing unique games that fully understant the potential of the Wii.

I could really see myself swithing from focusing mainly on MS and going back to Nintendo if they can really pull off a hit with the Wii.

4. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Bad Luck Incarnate

I was leaning towards getting a 360 but the Wii is more intriging every day. After having my 2nd PS2 die on me, I'm pretty much done with Sony.

5. GigatronSama

GigatronSama Mr. Insomnia Veteran

One of us!
    One of us!
    ONE OF US!

But I'll spare the I told ya so's and instead welcome you to a world of actually having fun when gaming.

6. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

I want a Wii and someday either a 360 or a PS3 AFTER a major price drop and I see what games come out for what system.... Kingdom Hearts 3 will force me to get a PS3 someday I fear...

7. ZeroMayhem

ZeroMayhem Henshin a Go-Go Baby!

I've always been a huge Nintendo fan, back since the days of the NES. These days I love my DS and can't wait for the Wii.

That said, back in 2004 I bought my first non-Nintendo system, a PS2 (it was a sloooow year on the Cube, to put it nicely) and have loved it. Haven't had any problems to date and have gotten to play some outstanding games that I couldn't have played otherwise.

I think it's great that Nintendo is winning over/back people these days. As a company I think they are good for the game industry as a whole. Yeah Sony seems to be making some weird/bad moves these days, but I still want to pick up a PS3 (at some point, not til the launch frenzy and or price comes down), but I'm not planning to miss out on great Konami, Capcom, Square-Enix, etc. games just because some Sony exec may have his head up his ass about something.

As for xbox/mircosoft....um, well if you can't say something nice....oh, I hear Live is nice....

Welcome to the Nintendo family, your eyes will adjust to all the bright colors.

8. BigPrime3000

BigPrime3000 Well-Known Member

See the way the PS3 vs. 360 exclusive games are coming, 360 looks to be getting the better games. The few PS3 games that I liked that were supposed to be exclusive, like Assassins creed, are coming out on both systems now. I'm not really an RPG fan so Final Fantasy does nothing for me, and I've never really been a MGS fan, never really like the original Metal Gear game either. The only thing that could screw that opinion up is if RE5 and Dead Rising 2 are exclusives for the PS3, that was said in the Rumor Mill on EGM. They aren't really correct a majority of the time, so it really doesn't mean squat, but the fact that those rumors are out there kind of scare me.

360 on the other hand has the original Dead Rising, Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter, Gears of War, and Halo 3 among others that are all games that I'm really looking forward to.

As far as I see this console generation going, the only real competition for the PS3 is the 360 and vice versa. Nintendo has completely convinced me that they are no longer trying to compete with Sony or MS. Even if I don't get a Wii and it doesn't do as well as Nintendo wants, I still hope it gets enough attention to scare MS and Sony into innovation based on real competition and not just trying to produce slightly better graphics and securing success through negotiation of big exclusive deals. It'll give developers more ways to express their creativity and support systems for actual reasons other than because of lawyers and contracts. Hopefully that'll lead to a rise in game popularity, gaming budgets, and more innovation.

9. Rokkit 2.0

Rokkit 2.0 Nay, we are but men.

You fools. It's a trap!

10. War Bearer

War Bearer Banned

I've also been a Nintendo fan since my first NES, and became an anti-Sony when I found out that they steal Nintendo's idea. Sony said that they don't want to compete with Nintendo and Microsoft which is a cover up that Sony is struggling. I think Nintendo is now screwing with Sony this year.

11. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Comparing systems is for the weak. Getting all 3 is true gaming bliss

12. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

i was always a Pro-Nintendo, but i was also a Sony-Fan and never really got into MS.

Now, its More-Pro-Nintendo and Sony's slightly above MS on where i plan on getting one now (that being a big price drop).

13. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

Wii, does seem more interesting any how, then PS3, which is just a lot more of the same, just with better graphics, Wii, so far is the only system to upgrade, actual game play.

14. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    QFT!

15. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

If I had more energy I would insert the giant rolleyes here.

Loyalty to a brand is idiocy.

Although, granted, you chose Nintendo because it has the games you seem to want, not because you feel obligated because one was thrust in to your hands 20 years ago. So that's something.

16. Zeta Otaku

Zeta Otaku Who ya gonna call? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    O_O

Kickback is pro-Nintendo... ok, not only did Hell freeze over, but they also let Hitler into Heaven and made incharge of who gets in.

I'm all for the Wii. I've always had more fun with the nintendo brand. I picked up a PS2 only a year ago and only then, it was for a few select games that I tired of quickly (excpet Kingdom Hearts.... DAMN YOU DISNEY AND SQUARE! DAMN YOU!). Nintendo has always tried to be innovative. Something from as simple as the controllers (I dare you to find another system with something as unique as the trident N64 controller or as comfortable and functional as the Cube controller) to revolutionalizing gaming industry safety standards! Those epilepsy warnings? Thank the Virtual Boy for that! (poor Virtual Boy... that abortion never stood a chance). Eventually I'll pick up a 360 as there are a few things out that I'd like to play, but not for a LONG while. The PS3? I doubt I'll ever own that until it hits the $100 mark. it just doesn't impress me. Graphics and sound are great, but if there's no fun value... what's the point? It's like buying a hooker and finding out that she's had every orafice stitched shut.

17. peeman

peeman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i've been a ninty fan since i got an n64 about 8 years ago, and in my opinion games wise theres 1 very distict difference between ninty and sony. many people tell you sonys better because the ps2 has loads more games , but i find with every console (n64 , gc , ds) you can always guarantee nintendo will release 10 - 15 great first party games. with sony you get hundreds more games but as to how many of them are good... let alone great is questionable

oh and kickback welcome about the good ship mario , a fine day for a sail me thinks

18. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    1. Kickback changed his mind. I'll be damned.
    2. You're not allowed to say "it's a trap" on TFW. That's a Fark cliché.
    3. I've always been a Nintendo loyalist because of Shigeru Miyamoto. His work has always been the deciding factor for me. That said, there's no doubt that Nintendo has made mis-steps in the past, but I think they've learned from them. Meanwhile, Sony hasn't been paying attention to Nintendo's mistakes (or the mistakes of so many others who have come and gone) so as to avoid them, and I think it's going to cost them dearly. You don't release a system that you can't manufacture. You don't release a system that costs hundreds more than the competition. You don't release a system using nonstandard media. You don't release a system betting on a format that isn't even *standard yet*. (What happens if HD-Dn

I'm actually hesitantly predicting that Wii will come out a big winner in this round. 360 is not likely to ever gain support in Japan (I could be wrong, but it seems to be a cultural thing); Wii is in the right price range; Wii's going to be the one wowing everyone and getting all the press and the attention of the general public; Wii has the support of major 3rd parties like Ubisoft and EA, plus their proven 1st and 2nd party development studios. Time will tell, of course.

19. QuantumShock

QuantumShock Stay for brunch ?

News Credits:
    My older brother used to brag how awesome PS3 was, in the end he bought DS Lite and gone all gaga over Nintendog.:D 

20. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The Wii has looked more and more interesting to me post E3 but I’m still on the fence about getting one. If I do it will be some time after the new year.

I started drifting away from Sony during the PS2 run. I don’t have any animosity to the PS line I just fined my interest moving in different direction, and American direction, the Xbox direction! :D