the concept of buying sellng and trading on TFW and other internet message boards..

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MoonStreakr, Sep 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MoonStreakr

MoonStreakr Heroic Decepticon

News Credits:
    The whole point of the "registry" would be to have a handle on things. If you go outside the registry THEN you are outside the jurisdiction, and thus SOL. Its only a theory man. Just an idea. Maybe instead of blindly ripping it apart you could be constructive and help improve upon it.

Oh and whoever is posting statistics like 99.9% can you please stop without factual info to back it? Have you seen the deadbeat thread lately? Its big. too big.

btw i have ur RID optimus tire.

2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    The thing is, your proposed registery already exists. It's the one you filled out to post here. Read the terms of service. Tell me if there's anything in there that says TFW will assume responsibility for any transactions.

Have you seen the active members list? It's way bigger. Actually go through the thread and check the dates of the entries. It spans over years.

Not sure if serious.

3. MoonStreakr

News Credits:
    I get it man. You dont like the idea. Do you have anything else to add?

4. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    OP while your thoughts/idea has merit it is impractical and needlessly exposes TFW to blame/liability for something they have no involvement in other than providing a forum they allow people trade and sell stuff in.

I know TFW bans scammers when they are uncovered. Paypal will protect you when you use the non gift option.

as for requiring pay pal to use the Junkion exchange it won't work as some like myself don't use pay pal.

5. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, I've been ripped off here before and sure I was upset, but I wouldn't go to this extreme. When I buy from someone online, I look at two things.

1. When did he register?

2. How many posts does he have?

If both of those are pretty low, gift payments are out of the question. Just take it as a lesson learned you know?

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Ah, I see. Since you've run out of legitimate retorts it's gonna be like that?

It's not that I don't like it, it's that it won't work. It has too many drawbacks and no benefits.

And even if it did, TFW doesn't have the legal right to do this. This is a fan site, run by fans, average joes.

7. MoonStreakr

News Credits:
    I have not run out of 'retorts' man, Im tired of arguing with you..which seems like the only reason you keep posting. Nothing but negativity and made up statistics.

NO benefits to my idea? How about no one getting scammed ever again. Yes that is a pipe dream..but it is the goal of my idea.. as unrealistic as it may be. Since you do not see this as a positive benefit of my idea..I deem you a troll.

8. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well to be honest, I think the easiest way to do this would be to require ever new buyer/seller/trader to send their name, address & paypal handle to a designated staff member before any transactions take place. I don't think anyone should need to complete a deal with a staffer or whatever or even middleman their stuff because while that makes sense on a trading card board such as mine where you can make a small trade at little cost to the participants, it's would be a little evasive/extensive for a place like this which deals with higher dollar items & higher shipping costs, especially given that the age group is a lot higher & more mature than it generally is on tccg forums as well.

However, with the personal info being kept ahead of time, the staff can essentially keep a private archive of the people on here who take part in the Junkion exchange, and then they have something to go on in terms of acting on bad people & even banning them. Like, I know that it's impossible to babysit everyone, but I was really surprised not to have been asked to submit my info when I started on here, and this has made things a LOT easier in my experience in terms of not only acting once damage has been done, but also for preventing rippers from even bringing themselves to the site.

Some places even have a public list of thieves which I think is also a great idea, but again, that's on the more extensive side.

/2cents

9. MoonStreakr

News Credits:
    Thanks Nomad. Thats a great concept.

Once again..thank you all for your input on this topic.

I am finished replying to the thread as you have all convinced me that my idea is stupid and will never happen. Im not really convinced the idea is stupid but whatever.

I am not one to pursue futile ventures. From the start I knew nothing would come of it but I thought Id just throw the idea out there y'know.

10. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think it is too, but I can't take credit for that. Systems like it have been in place for years on several websites, and they're all a little different. The main idea of keeping a private record of people is the main idea though, and of course making a public list (with just usernames) as to who's been approved on it or whatever is also widely done.

However at the same time, and while I hate to say this, there's no fool proof way of going about this. No matter what measures the site takes (be it small or insane), it's still relatively easy for someone to build up a good reputation (or even avoid getting a bad one until it's too late) & then turn heel for the sake of getting a big score. Along with that, it doesn't help matters that we've sometimes gotta decide between dealing with shitty people & not getting what we want at all, which opens yet another door.

At the end of the day, it'll still be a game of trust, and we're gonna have to fend for ourselves just like we have to in the real world. There's some great advice relating to this in the Junkion rules, and I think it could do us all a little good to refresh ourselves every once in a while.

11. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Your requests for change have been noted.

I do have one question for you to consider - all this time that you have been publicly complaining of your situation, have you considered forwarding details of the bad transaction to one of the Junkion mods to look into getting some form of resolution?

No system is perfect. But we cannot abide by people ripping other members off. If you have an issue like that, please report it to staff so we can take action to get some form of resolution for the situation - hopefully a refund or your item, at the worst case at least we can ban and prevent anyone else having to suffer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.