The complete All Hail Megatron - worth getting?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by dkr7, Aug 11, 2011.

1. dkr7

dkr7 "Argh' Hexagonal Nuts!"

News Credits:
    Hope this is the right place for a start. I wanna jump into the comics and wondered if All Hail Megatron is a good story to start with? And whether the complete set is any good? Thanks

2. shamanking282

shamanking282 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For the IDW universe, I'd say that you should buy the IDW Collection HCs. They'll take you through the universe in order, and AHM is covered in Vol. 5 of that series.

3. meirelle

meirelle Sea of Shelfwarmers

I'd actually recommend starting at the very beginning, since there's some stuff you might WTF over in AHM if you haven't read some earlier stuff.

4. dkr7

News Credits:
    thing is the earlier IDW comics and the collection series are hard to get here and get expensive, the All Hail Megatron is on sale atm and thought i'd jump in there, not gonna read all the comics prior andafter just looking for a good story and artwork, couple of things in the story that'll confuse me are okay cause i can always research them to find out. Or is the story made up so you need to have read the prior comics to follow it?

5. The F.N.G.

The F.N.G. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I haven't read AHM (am actually planning on grabbing the complete collection at some point), but I think I recall tfwiki saying that it was meant to be a "jumping-on" point for readers who've not been following the series prior. Someone can correct me on this if I'm wrong.

6. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    AHM starts out as a "soft reboot" that does initially not reference any prior stories, but then suddenly backtracks halfway through and bases its entire backstory on previous issues.

It's also not very good in my opinion, as it's a very thin plot stretched out over twelve issues, a lot of "buildup" with disappointing payoffs, and everything that ultimately connects to previous stories wrecks those stories in multiple ways.

It may seem like a good mediocre story to people not familiar with comics, as it's basically "the G1 cartoon season 1-2 cast with familiar characterizations, only more violence because that makes it more MATURE", but to people familiar with comics in general, and experience in Transformers comics in particular, it's rather weak.

You can see the intentions here and there, but the execution is where it fails.

7. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Here's a question kind of stemming from the OP's original thought: where SHOULD I start if I wanna get into Transformers Comics?

8. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I believe people have already semi-answered this...

If you're talking modern TF comics, the best place is always the beginning, if you can be bothered/afford to track it all down. In this case, either get the recent hardback releases of the "IDW Collection" (which kind-of-a-bit-maybe put things in a decent reading order), or get the cheaper TPBs. (at this point, probably wouldn't recommend individual back issues,although this might be ultimately cheaper).

For your first stab at seeing if you like them, I'd go for "Infiltration", "Stormbringer", "Escalation" and "Spotlight Vol 1" TPBs.

If you're not just limiting yourself to modern comics, I'd actually recommend Marvel over anything done in recent times. It's a wonderful 10 year saga - encompassing material created in the US and the UK - that (more or less!) creates a cohesive, engaging story centred around the Generation 1 universe.

Where to start with this? Difficult. In January, IDW are re-releasing complete collections of the US Marvel material, with all issues included (previous releases have omitted some). However, if you can't wait, go for the Titan Book collections beginning with...well, "Beginnings" and "New Order".

IDW are releasing a new "UK Collection" TPB which is highly anticipated, coming early September. Vol 1 does not represent the best of what is on offer, but does give you something. Most of the stories contained within also interweave with the US stories from "Beginnings" and "New Order".

Yes, it's a confusing world of comics. But trust me, it's well worth the effort. In 27 years, not a single other TF media product (I'm including the dreadful G1 cartoon here) has come close to beating the Marvel saga.

All IMHO of course :) 

9. Kostya

Kostya Destron

News Credits:
    I'd say start at the beginning, which is the Infiltration story arc. After that read Stormbringer or Escalation(forget which order they happen) and then read Devastation. However there are some continuity things that are either explained or expanded in the Spotlight issues which currently exist as five separate TPBs. The main story kind of ends at a spotlight series subtitled Revelations, followed by the series Maximum Dinobots.

That's kind of it for the ongoing arc things until All Hail Megatron which I personally dislike. If you feel like reading it then go ahead and do that picking up the various spotlight tie ins as you go. Once AHM is done the main story picks up with the Transformer ongoing series which is much better IMO.

10. jasonmako

jasonmako Voyager

News Credits:

Agreed, thats how I started and it's really with it!

11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I, too, started with Infiltration and bought the TPBs in order of release. I actually stopped during AHM because, well, it was kinda bad.

12. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    I actually liked AHM; it got me back into TF comics.

13. dkr7

News Credits:
    Well i bought it and im gonna start there, but after ive read that i'll wait for the upcoming comics (chaos? i think thats what its called) and follow them issue by issue.

14. blur3479

blur3479 The most boring member

News Credits:
    It's slow for the first 4 issues but really starts to pickup I'd recommend it

15. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

Concur, I enjoyed AHM.

16. Silk Spectre

Silk Spectre The Evil Queen

I love the beginning, but feel it really dropped the ball in the end. The build up is good and gets you thinking it's going to lead somewhere cool, but the payoff is terrible.

17. Fierceawakening

Fierceawakening Deceptigeek

I liked AHM, though I hadn't read the previous ones.

I kind of want to, but the whole Headmasters plot sounds horrible and like I'd hate it.

18. dkr7

News Credits:
    just finished reading all hail megatron and i loved it, i now wanna buy last stand of the wreckers cause the characters are freaking awesome. Wanna get some comics involving shockwave if anyone has any suggestions? was thinking the spotlight on shockwave, is it good? also want some more comics with jazz in.

I feel like ive just found a whole new side to the transformers franchise and im loving it.