The collecting habit

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Hyperoptic, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    Earlier this month, I acquired the last piece I needed to complete my vintage Transformers collection. I will still be collecting a limited number of new releases like Masterpiece and select 3rd Party items. I now want to focus the majority of my "Collecting funds" towards other aspects of my life. However, I am having a hard time with the slow down. I find myself wanting to start/continue other collections, namely vintage TMNT and NES stuff. I have enough discipline to not take the full plunge, but it doesn't come without significant effort. The fact is, I've been collecting various things my whole life, and I'm wondering if it will ever truly stop.

That said, I'd now like to ask my fellow collectors a few questions concerning this:

1. Has collecting various items been a part of the majority of your life?

2. What else besides Transformers have you collected in the past? ...and how old were you during that time?

3. How hard would it be for you to stop collecting entirely?

4. Do you see yourself collecting various things for the rest of your life?

5. Based on the answers to the previous questions, what are your thoughts on your collecting habits?

2. Grimm

Grimm Me Hungry!

Yes. I have been ''collecting'' things for as long as I can remember. My first real hobby was Hot Wheels.

2. What else besides Transformers have you collected in the past? ...and how old were you during that time?

Hot Wheels, Star Wars, Tmnt items, Comics, super hero related stuff. Oh, and Pokemon cards. Started when I was around 6 or 7. Got into Star Wars when I was 10.

Not sure. I have tons of awesome stuff to keep me happy for years to come. But the urge would remain to keep adding to it.

Most likely, given I have the funds to support it.

5. Based on your answers to the previous questions, what are your thoughts on your collecting habits?

I think I spend too much money, but hey, these things don't come cheap. Better to spend on collectables than throw it away on drugs or something like that.

3. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    No

Legos on and off. Can't give a specific age

It would depend on what I have or want.

Maybe

5. Based on the answers to the previous questions, what are your thoughts on your collecting habits?

No comment

4. AMG

AMG Old School

Yes.

Collections owned: Toys, Cards, Video Games, Comics, Coins and Stamps.

Actively collecting: Toys, Video Games and occasionally Cards.

Never happen.

Yes.

Healthy.

5. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    No? Kind of? I started with beast wars at the age of 3.
    Bionicle during the time between the line started and ended. I was 7.
    Pokemon card from 5- 12
    I.d.k robotics is a major thing in my life. I'm currently in college for robotic engineering.
    Yes.
    Sometimes smart and sometime stupid impulse buys.

6. An Army of Bees

An Army of Bees WTF@TFW Podcast Editor Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Hell no. Real life responsibilities and whatnot should always go first before recreational activities and hobbies, and toy collecting is no different.

EDIT: In case I've misread this, I've collected various things through my life.

Ninja Turtles (I don't remember much, but there's a shit-ton of photos of a 3-4 year old me wearing Raph pajamas and playing with a bunch of Turtles toys) and Power Rangers definitely dominated my childhood.

Considering how much my purchasing has stalled since BotCon? Pretty damn easy.

I can't answer this. There are too many varying personal factors that contribute to whether I buy something or not, such as job situations, money flow, and time. Then there's the various toyline factors such as pricing and availability.

No different than any other hobby, but I'm not exactly willing to go to extremes to get a hold of things outside of a lapse in judgment at BotCon 2012 when I paid $20 for First Edition Bumblebee ("B-BUT IT WAS HTS PRICE + SHIPPING" I said as my Canadian roommates laugh at me and point to their walls of the FE Bee.) The most I've ever spent on a toy, as far as I can recall, has been $45, so I'm not into the insane amounts that others have hit. (Hey, if you can afford it and you're not going without the basic human needs due to your hobby? More power to you.)

Given the current nature of the toyline, though, I have been reconsidering my stance on collecting. Not my love of the brand or the toyline, mind you, just what exactly I collect as it's become obvious we're no longer in the days of Movie 1 through Generations, where you can get Deluxes on the super cheap and the majority of them are fun, solid toys. I can no longer justify going mold completionist on lines anymore, and frankly I'm glad. I enjoy the Prime aesthetic, but the majority of the toys are disappointments, and while I love the High Moon TF Games an entire line of WFC/FOC toys isn't exactly something I'm thrilled about.

7. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    Yup, ever since I was a kid, I collected various stuff, blame it on my dad who was a collector of stamps, coins, comic books, etc.

- Comic books (on and off since childhood, most active during my college days)
    - Seashells (inactive and gathering dust)
    - Stamps (inactive)
    - Star Wars stuff (inactive but recently got the Mini-Bearbricks)
    - Pokemon stuff (when I was playing the games on the GB many years ago)
    - Tazmanian Devil stuff (inactive)
    - Tamiya M4WD kits, rare unbuilt ones and ones I used to race (stopped around 2002 when there where no longer official races)
    - Lightning McQueen stuff (inactive)
    - Diecast cars (mainly Lancer Evolution versions and Batmobiles, my collection before moving on to TF collecting)
    - Many others

Very very hard. Collecting brings me much joy, especially when I have problems.

Maybe, if I still had the urge. When and if I get married, I don't think I will be that active of a collector though.

I am an addict.

8. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Yes

TMNT and Power Rangers since I was six years old. I'm also into the Lego bricks since I was eight and the Lego action figure line since I was twelve. I was mainly into the Throwbots and lost intrest during Bionicle, but got hook back with Hero Factory.

Not at all, I can give up stuff without any issues at all.

Just depends on money and if something I like is still around or not.

I only go for what I like, with no plans on getting everything from a series. If I like twenty figures from a line, I'll get them. If I like two figures in a line, I'll get them.

9. Duwian

Duwian Wants FoC EVERYTHING

Yeah, I literally don't go to any friend's houses, parties, etc. I'd say buying these and school is only what I do.

I used to collect LEGOs, when I was around 4-14. I would estimate I have a few thousand dollars worth, most being presents in my younger years.

Right now? Impossible. Maybe when I'm about 30 years older. :) 

It might be a little too soon to answer this, being 16 and all. But I'm assuming, based on my past habits of collecting, that I will be a lifetime collector inevitably.

Well, I think it's just been things I have been interested in. I don't think I collect because I can't bear to not collect, but because I love Transformers. And when I was younger, I loved LEGOs and building stuff. Know what I mean?

10. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Bloodsail Admiral

Well i suppose so since my first transformers where ones i got when i was a kid.

I do not really collect anything beyond the TFs. I have some lego sets and a few random action figures from other series here and there but nothing i actively collect.

I almost forgot my SNES game collection its small but i have my favorite games from that system and take great care of them and will still play them.

I am not gonna say it would be easy because i like having a good hobby to occupy time with. If i stop collecting i will pick up some other hobby.

Ehhh maybe. Its a fun hobby and for me it is in no way out of control so i am not worried. I will stop without a doubt if I lose interest or cannot afford it.

I do not think i have any bad habits in collecting. I very rarely buy a figure i was not planning on in advance. This year i can only think of 3 figures i bought that i was not planning on those being the Jackhammer playset, RID Bulkhead, and RID BB. I did not even keep the BB gave it to my step son.

11. Wolfdawg

Wolfdawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've always only collected Transformers. There were, however, times when my life was consumed with acquiring tons of figures. Now, though, I've noticed myself slowing down. A lot of the newer stuff doesn't really pique my interest and I'm finding myself only wanting to collect select MP and 3rd party figures.

When I was in middle school/early high school, I collected Power Rangers.

Not very hard. At this point, I feel like I have most of the figures I really want. I could honestly see myself swearing off the hobby tomorrow and still feeling satisfied with what I've accomplished regarding my collecting.

It's really hard to answer. I've always found myself collecting SOMETHING in my life. As a young child, I "collected" TMNT figures. When I got a little older, I started to collect and even display my Power Ranger toys. In college I collected video games. Now I have a ton of Transformers. I suppose there's just something in me that makes me collect things.

When I was younger, it was pretty easy because I had my parents to pretty much limit my collecting and tell me "no" when I needed to hear it. However, as I got older and more self sufficient, I experienced periods when my collecting overwhelmed me and drained me financially. Now, however, I'm older, make WAY more money, and am actually a lot more responsible. At this point, my collecting isn't an issue and I feel it slowly fizzling out.

12. DBarricade

DBarricade General Nutcase

Pretty much, yeah. I've collected TMNT, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Transformers, and try very hard to convince myself not to fall into the rabbit hole of SH Figuarts. (SRC Daizyujin may also break me, as it's the Megazord dagnabbit)

I was into the Turtles and Power Rangers before Transformers, I got into Yu-Gi-Oh in high school. I may still go for the occasional booster pack, but these days my hobby monies go to the third party stuff. Or securing retail stuff that refuses to be stocked around here. (especially TRU exclusives, as I don't want to drive for an hour or more just to go to the closest one and likely be met with disappointment.)

Not hard at all. Put a bullet in my head, bam. No more collecting. Then again, there'd be no more anything after that... This seems much harder than I thought!:lol 

If it's a robot that turns into something else and back again, yeah.

I spend WAY too much on third party stuff...but it's SO worth it...

In short, I have almost no willpower.:lol 

13. alldarker

alldarker M.A.S.K. Crusader

News Credits:
    Yes, most certainly. I guess the collecting bug is engrained into the

I was born in 1976. Between 1984 and about 2001, I collected MASK toys. I was able to finish up that collection, now owning every generally released toy which came out in the five series it was available. Starting in 2000 I started collecting Star Wars Lego, focussing primarily on the Original Trilogy sets. I'm pretty complete with the OT Star Wars sets, including some of the 'Ultimate Collectors Series' sets like the Millenium Falcon, the Imperial Star Destroyer and Cloud City, which are comparable (including their current market price) to Fortress Maximus and Grand Maximus for Transformers.

It was easy to stop collecting MASK: there was no longer anything to collect (except rare, extremely hard to find prototypes). Finishing that collection in a time when internet wasn't the go-to place for finding new stuff did make stopping easier as well: you just didn't get to know about variations from other countries and stuff. Thirdly, I did cushion the blow by starting to collect SW Lego: although that started with just liking the minifig version of Chewbacca.
    I don't actually think I could ever stop collecting altogether, though.

Yes, absolutely. And chances are that whatever I'm collecting will focus primarily on toys.

There have been times when I have thought about letting things go, either due to financial issues or space issues. I'm now fortunate enough to have both the disposable income to make collecting the stuff I like possible, and to have a wife who sometimes frowns on my collections and the space they take up, but who also sees the enjoyment I get from collecting.

14. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yes
    Video game systems, CDs, DVDs, Lego
    very
    yep
    it's there, it gives me something i can show where my money went lol

15. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    It was for me when I was between 16-21. Then again between 31-34. So I had a long break in between.

I have also collected Spawn Figures and Star Wars Figures

Not that hard to be honest. I find that if I take enough time away from it, I lose interest a bit. However, as soon as I look, I think I need to complete this and that.

However, if I took like 6 months away, I would most likely be done. Your in a place where your done. So if you find some other hobby to occupy your time you will be fine.

I would recommend home improvement. Costs you about the same amount of money, but you see a return on your investment and it is also nice to see what you fixed or did yourself.

Nope. Well, I say nope, but I never know. A classics car collection would be sweet if I was ever rich. Also a good watch collection would be nice too. But it's a waste of money at this point in life. Retirement and Son's college first. Then maybe get a Rolex way down the line.

I think I am obsessive. So if I start collecting something, I go full steam. But there are very little things that I really want to collect.

16. Arkvander

Arkvander Optimal Optimist

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Haha, I KNEW it! You'll never stop, it's in your blood ;) 

17. CVprowl

CVprowl Done

hmm, kinda...

baseball card and comics when i was 10-14, gi joe about 5 years ago, transformers about 3 year ago.

hmmm, good question.

i hope not.

its kinda funny we are this way.

18. doctajones428

doctajones428 Well-Known Member

I would say so

5-10ish I was all about Power Rangers, Ninja Turtles, Batman, Spiderman and Pogs. 8-12 I was into Beast Wars, Pokemon and Lego. 13-16 Gundam Wing. 13-18 Yugioh. 16-20 CDs, Warhammer. 19 to now (23) Transformers. I'm getting into Magic the Gathering and MG Gundam kits right now

Not too difficult, there are other hobbies to have

Assuming I don't lose interest and I have the money to support it, yes

Something to do and keep me busy. I'm wheelchair dependant so there isn't a ton of things for me to get out and go do. It's better than drinking booze and doing drugs

19. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    Thanks to everyone that answered the questions. :)  I really enjoyed reading the the replies, and I hope more will follow suit.

:lol  I'm not throwing in the towel just yet! :p 

Alright, I figured it was only fair that I answer these questions myself:

Yes, since I was about 9 years old. I don't count the Legos and Transformers that I had at a younger age, because I didn't treat them as collections at that time. For example, I only started displaying when I got into TMNT.

From 9 to 11: TMNT
    During junior high: Hockey cards
    During College and early animation career: Animated movies
    Past 6 years: Transformers

It's proving to be quite hard. Even though I'm not really buying that much, I'm still stuck in the habit of searching eBay and Yahoo Japan every day...

A part of me would like to complete my vintage TMNT and NES collections. I might consider it when I decide to get a bigger place. However, another part of me kind of hopes not to keep collecting. At some point, I'd like to fill my spare time with other things. Exercise, stretching, and meditation comes to mind.

I think I went a bit overboard on collecting in the past, especially during my time gathering G1 Japanese exclusives. These days, things are much more reasonable, and I'm happy to be asking myself these questions. I think I will be putting a strict limit on my collecting for the next few years. Hopefully it'll get easier as time goes by...

Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  20. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:

Yes.

As a kid, Masters of the Universe, G.I.Joes, M.A.S.K., Silverhawks, Robocop, Batman, TMNT.

I moved to comic books as a teen, then Star Trek: The Next Generation figures - which is the first "collection" I ever displayed as "collectibles". :) lol).

I was moving more towards CDs and movies by my late teens. Movies are still a mainstay, as my wife and I share our movie collection now (it kinda doubled when we got married, and movies/tv is a shared interest).

Expendible cash and space dictate that a lot anyways.

Sure, though it will be less and less in quantity, as I've gotten most of what I'd like. There's still enough to make things interesting, though :) 

Though I don't purchase nearly as much as I did even just a few years ago. I've definitely been moving towards "quality" over "quantity".

5. Based on the answers to the previous questions, what are your thoughts on your collecting habits?[/QUOTE]

See #4. Also, I purchase less now for the intents of customizing, since I do less of it now. I find myself less and less interested in current things when I think about what I already have as well. I'm not going to start expressing my apathy towards current things since DotM.

I've been enjoying "vintage" things much more as well. G1 was my goal entering this hobby, and it's a mainstay as well as the focus of my collection. The same with Alts/BTs and RiD. A couple of years ago, I liquidated most of my "Unicron Trilogy" stuff, as I just lost interest in it.

I also find that I'm continually thinking about this question for myself, and I really can't offer any "concluding" types of statements here.