The Classics Line Outdid Their G1 Counterparts...Yes Or No?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by OptimusAutobot, Apr 11, 2007.

1. OptimusAutobot

OptimusAutobot Banned

Since we've probably seen the last of the Classics line I thought it would be a great time to bring this subject up.

I think that most of the Classics outdid their G1 counterparts by far. If you look at each individual character, pound for pound I think that the designs, playability, and poseability were far better in the Classics line than their G1 counterparts.

If you look at each individual toy and compare them to the G1 version I think the Classics kicked ass. Except for Prime, Megatron, and Devastator.<<<Those three sucked when compared to the original G1 versions.

Classics was an outstanding line and it left me wondering....Where were these designs when we were kids? I wish we could've had these figures back then. It would've been fun to see the entire G1 line with the same concepts and designs as today's Classics line.

Also, I think the Classics line was more true to the character's images in the G1 cartoon. Some of the original G1 toys looked NOTHING like the cartoon versions of the characters.

What is your take on this issue? Do you agree or disagree?

Thanks For posting!!

2. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Absolutely agree! I think most of the classics out did the originals. I still personally prefer the original Grimlock, but everything else was better in my opinion.

3. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Small correction: Some of the cartoon versions of the characters looked NOTHING like the original G1 toys. Not the other way around.

4. OptimusAutobot

OptimusAutobot Banned

Point taken...the toys were out way before the cartoon series.....but, I still think there should've been more continuity there. (they should've been connected a little more.)

5. Valandar

Valandar Dilettante and Dabbler

I actually disagree about Prime and Megs. Prime is FAR more playable if you only count the G1 cab, and I'm certain a Classics trailer would be more complex, etc, than the G1. Megs may have wings and a horrid paint scheme, but he at least can stand for long periods (even if the desk is shaking), and a simple pin removal makes the "wings" a clip on bit.

6. OptimusAutobot

OptimusAutobot Banned

IMO...The G1 version of Grimlock looked better in dino mode. But, I think the robot mode of the Classics version is FAR better.

7. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I still prefer G1 especially the 1984 bots and cons. Their vehicles (besides the minibots) were decent and their bot modes look robotic i.e. blocky! :D 

8. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

Are we basicially just saying that toys made 20+ years after the originals are better? If so, then yeah. I would hope anything made 20 years after would be.

9. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    HA HA! yea what he said.

10. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    g1 ran for 5 years.

the end.

11. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I very much prefer Classics Jetfire. For all the rest I prefer the G1 versions. Would I prefer Classics versions more if I was a kid today, and didn't grow up with G1? We'll never know.

12. catch22

catch22 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Classic BB and CJ are better than their G1 counterparts, easy.

Classics Megs wins for 'bot mode, G1 Megs wins for alt mode. Overall though, I'd give it to G1 Megs. He's awesome Alt mode outweights what Classic Megs has to offer.

Classic and G1 Prime are a tie, as are Classic and G1 Jetfire.

G1 Grimlock wins alt mode, Classic Grimlock wins 'bot mode. Overall, this one goes to Classic Grimlock. Classic Grimlock's alt mode isn't bad, but G1 Grimlock's 'bot mode SUCKS

I don't recall ever having any of the Seekers, so I can't really say as far as they go. I think the G1 Seekers had some part-forming, if I'm not mistaken, so I gotta go with the Classics.

13. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

I love Prime, Megs, Mirage, and Jetfire from the Classics line. IMO, those are the only 4 (except for the Classics BB's head) that outdid G1. All the rest? Nope!

14. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

Yeah, I really don't get when people compare new toys to G1. It really annoys me. I mean OF COURSE they are better. They were made 20+ yeahs AFTER with tons more technology improvment. It seems like a silly and pointless question to me.

15. bushboy

bushboy Hardcore Decepticon

You people are making me jealous. I still have no Classics:banghead: 

16. Peacemaker

Peacemaker Well-Known Member

An interesting and unavoidable question.

Altough some Classics have great designs I can't say they're better than the vintage G1 toys. The seeker jets are really well done and Rodimus, Bumblebee and Cliffjumper looks better than their G1 counterparts. Classics Jetfire is very cool but it's still not as stunning as the G1 version. But for me the Classics are the best of the more recent series, besides the Binaltech and Masterpiece series.

17. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Classics Jetfire is very impressive, but it's nowhere near as impressive as G1 Jetfire. The same goes for Megatron (although Classics Megatron is a superb toy I still prefer G1 Megatron).
    Classics Prime is incredibly playable, but without a trailer it's not as good as G1 Prime.
    Bumblebee, Cliffjumper, the Seekers and Rodimus are a LOT better than their G1 counterparts. Astrotrain is about the same.

18. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

yeah, the technology is so much better today for toy manufacturing, which is why you could say all toys are better. take a look at the faces of star wars figures. it's not like 30 years ago they thought those heads looked like harrison ford, carrie fisher, etc. it's that that was the best they could do. now, they really DO look like those people. same with robot joint/transformation technology.

as far as figures go? I'd say all but astrotrain, grimlock, and prime/magnus are better in classics. classics prime MIGHT have been better if he had the trailer, but he didn't, so that's all you have to compare.

19. Thundercracker

Thundercracker Contemptuous

The Classics Seekers are probably my favorite Transformers in my collection. The only Classics that I'm not really too keen on are Megatron, Grimlock and Devastator. IMO, Classics had the potential to go down as the best line ever but looses out to G1 since Classics left out so many important characters and will ultimately go down as an incomplete line.

20. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

Folks:

In most cases, I think they did. This is why the line had to be limited. If Classics went on long enough to give us perfect representations of every Generation 1 character, we'd all be content, sit back with a happy sigh, stop buying Transformers, and take up watercolor painting. We gotta be kept hungry. :)