The classic G1 transformation sound

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Hook, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    Besides the faction symbols, what else is as synonymous to the Transformers as the classic G1 transformation sound?

I, for one think that it should be untouchable, much like the faction symbols. Alas, my opinion is of little worth in the grand scheme of things.

The transformation sound wans't as present in the Japanese G1 cartoons. Some series didn't even have a transformation sound besides a few metal grinding sounds, clilcks and whirls. Headmasters and Pretenders had different sounds. Same goes for Beast Wars and Beast Machines. One can speculate that these subfactions had different technologies and machanisms, which warranted a different transforming sound, but still. I would have loved to see the classic sound in these other TV series.

Then came RID, the AEC trilogy and Animated. RID had the return of the classic transformation, then had a running change mid-season by having the transformation sound removed from the Combaticons/Ruination. AEC had a modified transformation sound that sounded close to the original, but IMO sounded like a cheap ripoff. THe same sound could be heard in the PS2's Armada game.

Finally, Animated had the classic transformation sound. Even then, something didn't sound right. While the classic sound was indeed there, Animated didn't 'play' with it as much as G1 did. For example, combiners and bigger bots had an elongated, stretched-out low frequency transformation sound, while smaller bots had a sped-up, higher-pitched sound. I liked that and it was a glaring omission in recent TF series.

Maybe I'm looking too much into this, but for me, the classic transformation sound should not be played with.

What's your take on this? How important is the G1 classic sound to you?

2. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    The transformation noise is what made me a fan of Transformers as a kid. It's something I could imitate while playing and it's something unique I could always relate to the franchise. I say its possibly the most important aspect of the cartoon. Hell when I finally got into collecting and I got a Leader Bulkhead I was so over joyed to hear the Transformation noise, totally took me back to a younger time.

For most, Transformers isn't Transformers if it doesn't include Prime and Megatron. For myself it aint a Transformer show until that glorious noise is heard :D 

3. Kaje

Kaje Well-Known Member

Not important at all. I'm fine with it in G1, and hearing it at the beginning of the '07 movie made me giddy, but I have no problem with other shows changing it up a bit or omitting it entirely. Honestly, It's a rather annoying sound and doesn't really reflect what is actually happening in a transformation.

But then, I came into fandom through Beast Wars.

4. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Anything without the classic Transformers sound is not Transformers. Also, Trukk not Munky and I hate Bay. [/joke]

Seriously? I'm not that fussed. If the G1 sound is ever reused, it bring out a "hey that's kinda cool" reaction from me, but I don't view it as a necessity.

5. Lacimehc

Lacimehc Tastes like medicine

This.
    I preferred the transformation sounds in BW. It was kinda cool seeing Ravage with the original transformation sound though.

6. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It works perfectly in cartoons but I'm not so sure it fitted in so well when it was used in the first movie - probably because in Blackout's transformation they used it before he transformed.

As for the sound effect itself, I have it as the SMS tone on my phone. Back in August, at Auto Assembly, I was in a lift with half a dozen other people going from my room down to the conventional suite - I got a text and my phone went off, prompting every other person in the lift to check their phones! :D 

7. Hook

Facebook:
    I'll admit that the classic G1 sound would have sounded silly in the motion pictures, but at least it's there in some shape of form. I also agree that a TF cartoon without that sound doesn't feel like a TF cartoon. Might as well be called Brave or Macross ;) 

8. MaxLinden

MaxLinden Auto-Con

News Credits:
    I love the sound enough said!

9. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I agree that the classic transformation sound is an iconic and fundamental aspect of Transformers, and I think it has left an indelible impression on a generation.

I once jokingly observed that one of the differences between little boys and little girls is that little boys make sound effects... but I think there's some truth to it, and the G1 cartoon had a pretty impressive library of distinctive sound effects (even if half of them came from Star Wars ;)  ). The transform sound is just one of many familiar sounds from that show, and it's sort of sad when I see many kids shows even today don't have nearly the same degree of attention paid to music and sound effects.

Incidentally I think that's one of the great gifts anime has given western animation... stylized dramatic sound effects. Those things that seem to be audible in the psychological landscape, even if there is no visible source for it in the diegetic world of the cartoon.

But I digress... I don't think what you're saying is that the original G1 sound effect "shouldn't be played with"... but rather it SHOULD be played with... and not treated like an afterthought.

In my opinion, the Bay movies did a horrible job of it. It seems pretty clear to me that there was originally NO intention of using the G1 sound effect (indeed, the early trailers showed scenes without the sound effect), and it was merely added at the last moment as a way of throwing a nostalgic bone to the audience.

While it's cute to make the nod, I think this is an example of not treating the sound effects with respect. Sound engineers worked hard devising the distinctive transform sounds for the TFs in the Bay movies.. dumping the canned G1 sound effect over top was an insult to both. I was pretty shocked in that original Blackout scene at the sheer sloppiness of that mix. It was awful.

I think it would have been interesting if they had kept the original sound effect, albeit modified in some way to better blend with the visual style of the movies, to make it seem like those Bayformers were actually somehow MAKING that sound with their bodies as they transformed... rather than having it sound like it's being dubbed in from nowhere.

And yes, by that I mean that longer transformations would use a longer, stretched out sound, bigger TFs would have a deeper tone, and so on...

So yeah... keep the sound. It's TRADITION. But don't be afraid to modify it a bit... as long as some artistry and attention to detail is involved.

This goes for the Bot and Con symbols as well. The movie versions are fine with me, because they look almost identical to the originals (honestly, the differences are so minor, I don't think they matter). G2 and Beast Wars on the other hand... nope. Those symbols suck. They should have stuck with the originals.

zmog

10. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    I love the sound. I still make a smile when a toy does it.

That's right, Classics Silverbolt. That's the only reason that you're still around.

11. Hook

Facebook:
    I think that the War for Cybertron game did a fine job at using the classic G1 sound, playing with it and incorporating mechanical sounds to it. It's subdued, but still noticeable. Bay could have done something to that effect.

I'm surprised there hasn't been a fan version of the Bay movies with added transformation sounds.

12. dsprks75

dsprks75 Well-Known Member

The sound is synonomous with Transformers and should be used in every medium. I agree that the sound can and should be tweeked from time to time in order to bring it into the modern era... Like WFC did... But it SHOULD be there. Not some sound engineer's version of it...

One thing I HATED was watching Energon and I could HEAR the classic TF sound, but then they dubbed over it with that bastardized version they were using for A/E/C... Why do that?!

Could you imagine nerd/fan outrage if they completely changed Godzilla's roar for example? Toho uses the CLASSIC roar, but they mix it up with more animalistic sounds making it more like the sound an animal might use... That's fine. Or how a lightsaber sounds when you ignite it and fight with it? You knew some one was about to get an ass kickin' when you heard that eletronic "pop" and then the hum of the handle... These sounds are iconic for thier respective franchises, so why jack around with the TF noise or take it away or change it completely?

13. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I completely agree with most of you, that the sound belongs to Transformers and is traditional, it might be played with, but not messed with! ;) 

14. jamspeed

jamspeed is so beast!

Ebay:
    For me when I first transformed Silverbolt I wasn't even aware he made the sound! It was so cool to hear that.

Not only is the transform sound great, but I really like the variety and quality on the G1 cast of transformers. Not just Prime and Megs, but almost every character has a great distinct voice. When you hear Thundercracker and Skywarp talking you really feel these guys are a couple thugs. Guys like Cliffjumper sound like a good fit to the car and bot mode. Then they throw in Hound with a totally different type of voice and character.

I know the voice actors worked together in other toons but there is something special about the volume of great voices in the original TF series. I'm not trying to thread jack but for me I love listening to Transformers as much as watching it.:thumbs2: 

15. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I miss the old days of MTMTE, when they actually tried to sync the animated transformation movements with the 'notes' of the sound.

16. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    While I like the sound, a lot really, it's a pretty dumb sound effect for robots. It sounds like morphing and squishing wet clay only with some filter overtop. :lol  But it's still so cool. Though as cool as it is, I prefer character-specific TF noises.

What series did you watch?

Animated used the sound everywhere, to the point of absolute redundancy (like faceplates using the sound) and played with it way more than G1 did. It had it deep, high-pitched, sped-up, slowed down, elongated, segmented, and non-transformers had a metallic or different tone to it.

For example, Megatron's stock transformation alone had several versions. His feet were segements, his rotors were the full sound sped-up, his legs were the full sound played normal speed. His backpack and head were both segments, and his rotors were sped-up, and even the simple gesture of his hand closing warranted a sped-up version.

Then you've got guy's like Omega Supreme, who have super-slow and deep versions playing all throughout the transformation.

17. Galvatron Rage

Galvatron Rage Question Authority

LOVE the OG transformation sound. I was totally fanboy-ed out when Blackout made that sound (while transforming) at the beginning of the 2007 movie.

I think someone said it already, but that sound was so high-tech (at the time) and integral to my childhood experience of TFs. It's badass!

It didn't detract from my Beast Wars experience though. However, when Ravage transformed..."YEAHHHH!" was my response. :D 

18. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I liked Beast Wars Transformation sounds best of all series, because genuine thought went into the mixing of the sounds. Unlike the old sound which excluding a change of pitch now and then, was used for every character. The Beast Wars TF sounds were all unique to the character, (like how Rattrap, being so small, sounded like a big wind-up toy, while Megatron who's so large, had a really deep and heavy sound like factory machinery) and when characters upgraded they used variations of their old specific sound, remixed to reflect the changes. (Megatron's became less clunky and more smooth sounding, reflecting his upgrade, TM2 Cheetor's became faster and more violent sounding, etc.)

I liked how in Agenda, when Ravage shows up, he retained the G1 sound, because it really made the idea that the Maximals and Predacons were new, more efficient technology.

19. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    I love the classic transformation sound. I use it as a message alert tone whenever I use TF wallpaper on my phone. I'm not too fond of the more recent TFTM/ROTF transforming sounds, they're okay, but for me the classic one is the best, brings back good memories of the G1 cartoon...

20. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Banned