The Cheaper Choice?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Inikalord, Nov 12, 2010.

?

Which do you think is cheaper?

1. Buy it incomplete. Track down the parts.

7 vote(s)
    13.0%
  2. Buy it complete. Possibly more expensive.

47 vote(s)
    87.0%
  1. Inikalord

Inikalord Legal Binding Contracts

Ebay:
    When collecting any TF figure, you come across deals online that fit into your price range, but are either minor incomplete of severely incomplete.

If you went ahead in purchasing said Incomplete Transformer, you have a mission on your hands. Track down the missing pieces.

Now you think to yourself "Ive got to find all these missing pieces so that "Insert Transformer here" is complete".

So say it takes you perhaps a week or 2 to finally track down all your missing pieces for the TF and there you have, a complete figure, but was it worth it?

For a somewhat more amount of money you originally started with, you could have bought the complete version if you had the money, but you decided that based on your amount of $$ at your disposal, you can either choose to buy an incomplete figure and track down all the pieces you need or save up for a few more weeks or so to get the complete version of the TF that you were intending to buy.

Fact of the matter is, which do you think is the cheaper choice to when buying a Transformer? Buy the incomplete version and take a while to find all the needed pieces at possibly a cheaper price than buying it complete on the first purchase or to buy the complete version since collecting the individual pieces could cost more than buying the complete version.

2. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you factor in time & effort (and try to quantify them as a cost somehow) I think buying it complete at a more expensive price is ultimately the more cost-effective approach.

Depends if you have time/inclination/patience to surf ebay every day and wait months and months until you complete a figure!

3. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Assuming the base figure is the condition in both cases, I'd say buy it complete. It'll be more expensive up front but probably cheaper overall since you'll save on shipping on parts if nothing else.

4. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Always buy complete.

5. Rodimus Mike

Rodimus Mike I Drank What?

Ebay:
    Even tho it probably would be better buying complete,but you could end up paying double or even triple what you pay for an incomplete figure.I'm not saying that way is bad just that most of us on a budget can't always afford them.

Also I don't always buy complete figures except for the new stuff in stores,but I only buy like 1 or 2% of them used or in a lot that someone sells cheap.But lastly I say it just depends on what each person wants to do.

6. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I would always buy complete, unless the missing accessory is something you can live without, like a Cyber key etc.

7. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

i suppose that all depends on the transformer, and the amount of parts lol

like optimus *g1* will be much easier to get all the parts to, then let's say, Fortress Maximus.

so it's best to get max complete, if you buy it at all.

while optimus prime, all you really need is the fists, the trailer, two missiles, and the guns, and you have a fully functioning toy. with all the parts required, the hose assembly and the two extra missiles, are not really needed.

on the other hand, buying a transformer like hotrod, who only has 2 accessories, isn't really needed. he only has two guns, and you can still display him in both modes with out the weapons.

so that is what it really boils down to, for me, can i display the toy with out the part, and will it effect the toy's playability, with out it?

that is what really matters.

hell, I have an almost complete metroplex that is just missing 2 of the three missiles. they are not that expensive to buy, but i haven't even bothered, considering that the GUNS look much better with out them.

they do not need a missile tip to look good, they look REALLY GOOD with out them, though.

and then there are the combiners, some need their weapons to look decent, like strafe, rippersnapper, blot, snaptrap, and the majority of the rest of the seacons all need their parts. while some of the others do not, like the aerial bots and the stunticons. and the stunticons and the protectobots look pretty silly with those big huge GUNS on their backs in car modes lol

and the fire engine with GUNS attached to it lol.

in that case, i don't think you really need the guns and other parts, as long as you have the parts to build the combiner.

while i prefer buying complete toys, some of the toys i wouldn't even use the parts if i had them, like the stunticon's double barrel canons, like i mentioned above. they look pretty silly, you know? so why spend the extra money on that, when i can buy each of them for 5 to 10 bucks with out the parts, and still form the combiner, as long as i get a complete motormaster?

why, so i can have the parts just sit in a box for the rest of forever?

is it better to buy a toy incomplete and buy the parts later on? probably not.

but i guess my point is, some parts are not needed.

thus if i was to see a transformer that did not need it's parts, and saw it for a good price, i'd buy it anyways.

i mean, i bought a 2 dollar slingslugger with no parts, good shape, that was hard to pass up you know?

but the targetmaster it self will cost what, 30? so i think i'd rather just skip that lol

now if it was triggerhappy, then i'd need to have it complete lol it's just too awesome to not have complete.

8. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Buy complete whenever possible. Not always easy (to put it mildly) finding parts.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  9. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    It depends if you value time or money, because both of them are "cost"

10. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

But it complete. You don't even know if you're ever going to find the parts.

11. MaxLinden

MaxLinden Auto-Con

News Credits:
    Parts sometimes cost more then they should, sooooo..... buy it complete!

12. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I would say...

buy complete unless you can buy repro accessories pretty cheap:2c: 

13. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Buy complete to save the headaches of searching.

14. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    First rule of collecting, buy the best quality most complete "thing" you can afford. The rest is speculation.
    Buy the highest grade comic book if comparing 2 of the same issues.
    Buy the complete toy.
    Buy the blue chip stock.
    Buy the house with the good location.

15. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    Buying complete is best especially if your just gotta have every last bit the figure comes with. But if you can get buy with say missing the extra missiles not needed to load up his or her launchers(s) or other non critical parts then buying incomplete is okay.

Also figure in difficulty of finding the missing part or parts. I don't just mean prices I mean some parts you just never see or see so seldom that it works out to be a major quest akin to finding a grail to locate it.

16. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    repro accessories still aren't technically completing a figure though, if you wanted to sell it down the line, you would have to put that they were repros, and it'd be a nagging feeling that that figure wasn't complete.

buy complete, it's cheaper than piecing one together most of the time.

depending on how much the incomplete one is

17. Automorpher

Automorpher Autobot Slut!

News Credits:
    This.

Some parts may take forever to find, even if you've the $$$ to spare. :) 

18. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I have only done this with one figure. I got a good deal on a diaclone starscream missing driver and a couple of broken parts. That was a couple of years ago and I still need a driver. I have nothing but time though so it doesn't bother me. I also get an extra thrill each time I find a new piece for him.

19. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    I buy complete. Hunting down parts can be a pain.

20. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Complete or GTFO.