The character of Optimus Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers Earthspark and Cartoon Discussion' started by Paxtin, Jul 17, 2011.

?

What do you think of Optimus?

1. He's the best version of him, to date.

11 vote(s)
    10.5%
  2. I like him, but he has some flaws.

43 vote(s)
    41.0%
  3. He's ok. I don't care one way or the other.

38 vote(s)
    36.2%
  4. I want to like him, but the flaws ruin him for me.

10 vote(s)
    9.5%
  5. He's the worst version of him, to date.

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Nah. You´re already decided your course of action.

2. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Terrorcon King

I think numerous people on this board deserve a quick slap to bring them about. Just sayin' :D 

3. AutobotSkids

AutobotSkids G1/Bay Lover

He doesn't seem to have as much of a personality as some of the other Optimus Primes, such as G1, Animated, or Movies, or as much screen time. But there are some things that I like about him.

He isn't invincible, he can get hurt too like any other Autobot, which I kind of like. But he's still a skilled warrior, having blown Starscream's arm off and fought all those zombies.

He also seems very caring. I don't know why, but his offer to bring Raf a snowball really made me like him, and when he and Arcee were out in the arctic together they had some sweet moments.

4. Eric

Eric VOTE.

News Credits:
    I'm neutral on Optimus. He's alright, but he hasn't really done much since the Darkness Rising five-parter.

5. CodeXCDM

CodeXCDM Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    He's a pretty standard Prime. Nothing particularly memorable about him... just yet.

There should be a similar thread/poll for Megatron.

6. Rob

Rob Prowl Fan

News Credits:
    He is great; he is stoic, kind, and a great warrior but very much an island which is what he would be considering the nature of his position, being the prime and all. My only complaint is he needs more screen time which I am sure will happen eventually.

7. AMG

AMG Old School

I find him extremely dull to watch.

8. ShyGuy

ShyGuy Bye

I like what we've seen of Optimus so far, I just don't like that we've seen so little. I'm sure he'll get more development later on, but it's still disappointing that he's been on the sidelines this long.

9. SuzyPrime

SuzyPrime The friendly lurker

My personal opinion is: the reveal of Optimus in this show has been deliberately slow to come, because that's the way Orci and Kurtzman want to pace it, to give us Prime in small doses. The only problem with that is us Optimus fans are feeling starved for more exposure to the character. More Prime please!

Its interesting that we're getting a sense of the kind of leader he is when he isn't around, by listening to characters talk about him in his absence. Here's some examples:
    • Arcee from Con Job: "Primes don't party."
    • Jack from Rock Bottom: "That's not what Optimus would do."
    • Megatron from Darkness Rising: "Optimus Prime never disappoints." Even Megatron's dream image of Optimus is a stalwart hero (although he's very easy to kill).
    I've really enjoyed that writing in this show. Those little moments between characters are easy to miss. I just wish we'd see more of that from Prime himself, scenes of camaraderie and leadership like he showed in the Masters and Students episode.

I'm disappointed every time they have an episode without him. Although, "Rock Bottom" was so good I almost didn't notice he wasn't in the ep...almost!

10. Team Prime

Team Prime Gosh, idiots...

YEAH!!!

no we cant. more of her please!
    EXPLOSIONS!!!
    :bay 

11. Honorbound

Honorbound Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I voted for option four, not because of his lifelessness, but because of other traits. The misplaced mercy for evildoers that other Optimuses have has been turned up to eleven with this one, to the point that it is corrupting others and overriding their common sense. If this series actually explored the consequences of that kind of action, then Optimus would be sacrificing innocent lives (the Decepticons' victims) for the "moral" high ground, when in fact, by showing pity for the brute, he is being a brute to those in need of pity.

However, that opinion can change, if Optimus gets a rude awakening about this attitude: if he shows mercy to someone, only to have that person kill someone he cares about, and the writers don't gloss over it or make him run away from the reality of it, we could see actual development for him, as the supposedly "all-wise" Optimus learns a lesson that he should have learned at the start of the war: Showing mercy to someone like Megatron is inherently fatal, as Megatron himself inadvertently pointed out in his conversation with Jack during Rock Bottom.

12. ArtistOfWar59

ArtistOfWar59 Stunticon

This.

While in terms of design, I love this version of Prime, (Minus the mouth. He justs looks better with the faceplate IMO.) it combines hte detail of movie Prime, and the classic look of G1 Prime. :thumb 

As for character, well what can you say? Does he even have a character? He just seems really...bland. I hate to say it, but this Prime is just boring. :thumbdown  Give him his own episode, were he acutally fights, and we'll go on from there.

13. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:

He's just ok, being optimist hopefully his character will develope.

We'll see.