The Cats in Heaven Will Cry Tears of Blood... Hello Kitty MMO

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Prowl, Feb 13, 2008.

1. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    omg just no. hello kitty is where i draw the line.

one time my then GF made me wait in line for HK freebie. bitch.

2. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    easy enough to spot. Works for me! Nice new avatar TT.

Back on Topic.

Who's your favorite HK character?

I have to go with Kopri (because he's the only one I've ever heard mentioned, and because I bought an ex girlfriend a clock with that frog on it, after her ex girlfriend "yes she was Bi" threw her old one against the wall")

3. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

Chococat!

4. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

Batsmaru!

5. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Charmmy Kitty!

Cuz it's awesome that a cat has a pet cat.

6. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    I like Mimmy. Even though she is the same age and has the same upbringing as Hello Kitty, she remains almost completely unknown.

She is going to snap one day and it will be awesome.

7. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

this could be the first mmorpg i play

8. McBradders

I can't wait to craft some exquisite hats.

True Story: for a job interview, I was tasked with designing the concept of a "combat-less MMO", my design was based around 2 villages, one master Wig Makers, the other Master Hat Makers. Competition involved hiding in trees and tipping off peoples hats and wigs, as well as general competition for crafting recipes and ingredients, as well as the creation of hats and wigs themselves.

Shame it was such a throwaway, I loves me some hats I does.

9. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    Oh man. I thought I had found people who were really as excited about this game as me. Now I think you are all just being sarcastic. :( 

And now I am sad we will never get to play this. :( 

10. McBradders

I should tell you about my racing game design... that too was awesome.

"Race in a post apocalyptic America to reunite the 50 states and become the President..."

Le sigh.

11. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    Well, hopefully we can look foward to Twin Twist Studios and it's awesome catalog of bizare games to play......on weed.

12. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

TT is my hero.

13. McBradders

I design sober... amazingly ¬_¬

14. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    You guys should hear the game that Deefuzz and I just came up with. It's a cat combat fighter game. Cat Scratch Fever!!

Heathcliff vs. Garfield!!
    Azriel vs. Snarf!!
    Hello Kitty vs. Ravage!!

And the final boss: Alf!!

This thread needs more exclamation points!!

15. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    Oh I wasn't referrencing the design process, just the state of mind a player might be to "enhance" the experience. Not that I condone that.

anymore

16. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I pitched a Transformer game idea to Activision when I was working on the Spiderman game, well before Transformers had a movie and became what it is now. While they liked my concept, they didn't think there was enough of a following to warrant buying the rights (this was also before Activision had the rights to make the movie game). I spoke to my old boss a couple of months ago, and he said "yeah I think we should have listened to you," While Activision has the rights, it could have been his smaller studio that would have brought the concept up to the big wigs.

17. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Alf deserves to die by vengeful kittahs!
    Don't forget Felicia from Darkstalkers.

18. McBradders

DUDE I had the same fucking thing with Pirates of the Caribbean. We were asked to put together a pitch before the movie was up and running and I had this whole fucking thing about Islands of cursed zombies and my boss was all "Get the fuck out, pirates versus zombies?" and I was all "Fuck yes!" and he was all "Take that shit out, Disney will never go for that..." so I took them out and 18 months later what do we see on the big screen?

FUCKING PIRATE ZOMBIE BASTARDS.

Yeah, not happy...

19. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well this is what I proposed. I think I still have my outline somewhere.

I obviously proposed a single player story-mode (G1 based). I explained to them that despite G1 focusing on an older audience, that most PC gamers are old, and most kids won't care who's who so long as their character look or resemble the versions on the newer shows. This was around the time Energon was airing.

But where I did go into much detail was the Multiplayer mode where it was Autobots vs Decepticons. I pitched it as "instead of riding vehicles like most FPS, you are the vehicle." And we would have had traffic in the city levels which, as an autobot you could drive around in and mix with, to avoid being seen. I explained that the idea of hiding in plain sight was possible, but more for the good guys... but the good guys also have the inability to fly.

Battle would be based on multiple maps, but instead of jumping from map to map as a game ended, every map was part of an ongoing war that was taking tabs in real-time. That is, if you logged on and saw the the Autobots were taking a beating in Detroit, you could log into that map as your autobot and tilt the balance a little.

edit: oh yeah, I just remembered... I had a "mission to Cybertron" multiplayer map, where you would go as a group and play a "capture the flag" sort of game where you would capture Energon cubes and return them to your shuttle. When the mission was over, that amount of energon was spread over your teams on different maps, providing more weapons spawns, stronger weapons, and bigger life-meters. So it was good to have a team always in the Cybertron level fighting the good fight.

You could design your autobot, so as to mix things up a little on multiplayer, but for this to logically work, the body structure would be limited to a few variations, so ensure that Transformations worked.

Weapons could be leveled and vehicle modes could gain abilities as you because stronger (ie, better control, and speed).

Being one of the only Transformer fan in the building, I had to convey to them that it wasn't just about Transformers, it was about presenting the gaming world with something new. You were mixing Car-Combat (Twisted Metal), Third-Person Shooting, and a robot combat, into one game at a city-wide level. You could hide in traffic or a parking garage instead of lurking in the dark, and as a bad guy, you would be flying mach 5, transform in mid air and land right in the middle of a skirmish, do some damage, transform and fly out to help out somewhere else. I explained that in all reality, this had never been done before.

They loved the idea, but I still feel like I got a (pat in the back) "sounds good kid, but you'll shoot your eye out"

20. McBradders

Yeah you get that pat on the back a lot unless your name is Cliffy B or something ¬_¬