2D Artwork: "The Car Brothers"

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by Superquad7, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    When I first got back into Transformers in 2000, one of my first main interests within Transformers was illustration. I started drawing some of my old, favorite G1 bots, but when RiD hit I really got into the toys (and even the cartoon). After I got into RiD, I wanted to create a set of videos (this is before the technology to make DVDs was commonplace) where I'd end up making a boxed set of the whole series. The Rhino sets hadn't been out too long, and I really liked how they were done. I decided that I wanted a box, along with "animation cels" as well as artwork that I could multipurpose. This is one such illustration.

Here is the original* inked line art:

[​IMG]

colored:

[​IMG]

Out of all of the pieces I illustrated for the boxed set linked below, this one took the longest, as I was illustrating and coloring three different robots. I did have each of these three toys with me, and used them as illustration models. I distinctly remember thoroughly enjoying this one, especially since I've always really had an affinity for each of these three bots.

One detail in particular I'll point out is the transparent engine of Prowl (or Mach-alert, which ever names you prefer). I used another drawing of a non-TF robot that I stretched and skewed as a separate layer for the mechanical inside details. I was always particularly proud of that detail :) 

If you're interested, the original project thread for the video set can be viewed here: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/210830-rid-set-w-extras.html#

Also, here is the gallery of the boxed set: RiD VHS boxed set - Scratch Built Customs - TFW2005.COM

Enjoy :) 

*I'll note that I did actually go back and edit the line art for Speedbreaker/Sideburn's head, as you can tell I colored certain portions of the line art. I'm sure I have a "virgin" copy of the line art, but for the thread purposes, I simply retroactively edited the line art from the colored file's line art layer :D 

Attached Files:

2. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This is really awesome to see. I like how you painted the extra details on Sideburn's eye piece, which wasn't originally drawn. I think this piece has an "epic" feel for it, which I think fits the purpose you intended for it.

3. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Thanks for the kind words, bud :) 

I had a blast doing those little details too! Even when I was drawing the illustration, I had planned on doing that sort of thing. My intention was staying true to the animation and toy designs, but just nudging the "detailed" look a bit more with small things like that. :) 

The epic scale is something I was shooting for with each of these pieces, and I'm glad that translates through :)