The Bumblebee Charity Project (Not your father's Bumblebee thread!)

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Boy Blunder, May 9, 2012.

1. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

Hey everyone, I wanted to propose an idea that's been stirring in my head lately. It actually has roots back in last year's Christmas season, but it's become a little more relevant now.

As we all know, Hasbro has mass-produced the Bumblebees. Whether they're actually pegwarming in your area or not, it's very difficult to believably deny that the little yellow 'bot has a lot of presence in the toy aisles. Do I wish Hasbro would pack him in less? Of course. But that's not what I'm here to talk about.

I propose that we, as a community, take some action to get more product on shelves. Not something like a letter-writing campaign to Hasbro, 'demanding' that they change their case assortments/business model to please us. Because, regardless of what evidence we have, what theories we can postulate, and what sense those theories may make, we are not in Hasbro's meetings or on their marketing team. They're making business decisions that, for the most part, seem to be working to maintain the company as a whole. And though we are their customers, we are not the sole dictators of their decisions. To think otherwise is to be really arrogant.

No, my suggestion is a little more altruistic. Instead of complaining about what we can't have, let's do something positive with what we do have. I'd like to propose a movement, for each member of the Transformers collecting community, if they can do so, to buy a Prime Bumblebee. From any local store that has them abundant on the shelves.

Why, you ask? Why play right into Hasbro's hands and give them money for the constant hanger-on? Because, my friends, we need rotation. A friend of mine who works at Target explained to me that, the fewer figures on the pegs, the more likely they are to restock the pegs with a fresh case from the back. Ergo, the more likely we are to see some of the other characters in case assortments make it into consumer hands. Knock Out, Arcee, Vehicon... all these will be a little more prevalent. Maybe not much, but maybe just enough.

What you do with your Bumblebee after that is your call. My suggestion would be to donate it. There's always children's hospitals that could use additional toys for the kids, especially free toys. Preschools, daycare centers, possibly the Boys and Girls club... or just give it to someone. A friend's child, a family member, maybe even some random parent-and-child on the street (yeah, a little weird, but depending on where you live, maybe not so weird). Or hold onto it until the toy drive season and unload them all. Even donate them to Goodwill. If you can't afford to buy just one, no big deal. If you can afford to buy more than one, I'd say go for it! The entire concept is a request, not a requirement by any means.

Heck, you could repaint it and throw it into the Radicons. Sell it on eBay. Light it on fire. The choice is up to you.

Will it make a change? To be honest, I don't know. Characters may have been cherry-picked from cases already, so I could just be suggesting a solution that just adds to the problem. But I feel it might be worth a shot to try. I don't believe it will change the long-term issue of Hasbro stocking Bees into the cases like crazy, but it might get the rest of the cases out to us more often.

2. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    In before "But they'll just order more Bumblebees!"

Serious answer: this is a great idea and one I always try to practice come the holiday season. I will take your advice and make more of an effort to do it during off-holiday seasons to support the cause of charity and Bumblebee movement.

3. Dr. Grimlockisking

Dr. Grimlockisking Twitter @GrimlockIsKing

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I like this thought a lot. I'm in

4. Eric

Eric Per sempre marciamo.

News Credits:
    But they'll just order more Bumblebees.

Sorry. :p  But really, I think this is a good idea. If we all pitch in and take care of the excess 'Bees, we might just be able to see toys that aren't in yellow with black stripes.

5. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I actually don't think this is a good idea.

IF we by some miracle we happen to actually make a dent in the number of Bee's clogging the pegs is Hasbro going to say:

1) Wow, the fanbase is really hardcore about moving enough prioduct to get to the non-bee stuff, or
    2) People must really like Bee so we should make more?

It's like all those people driving Prius's thinking they're helping the environment when all they're doing is working to keep gas costs low enough to encrourage others to drive Hummers.

Edit: The above comment is in no way saying not to donate toys to charity. Please do donate - lots of needy kids could use a new toy.

6. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Rattrap Teabag

News Credits:
    I try to buy a few BBs to put in the Toys For Tots barrels at christmastime, I think it's a great thing to do!

1) They have no way of knowing who buys what.

2) That's already their mantra right now.

7. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    lol @ gas costs low enough. Where are you buying gas?

8. ex dtw2003

News Credits:
    added: "working to keep" to me orginal post.

Working or not, the outcome if successful would be the same, i.e. taking actions that are counterproductive to the end goal.

9. AutoCon2076

AutoCon2076 Brightest can in toolshed

In regards to Bees for Charities - I can dig it. Good idea. As for the gas, here in Jersey I consider it a good day if I can find it for $3.64/gal cash.

10. Wingnut

Wingnut Stayin' Alive!

Ebay:
    ^ This. I also totally am on board with the donation aspect of this idea. In fact I'm going to pick up a BB on the way home.

11. ex dtw2003

News Credits:
    Well intentioned? Yes.
    Good idea? No.

Seriously, if paying kids don't want Bee, why would poor kids want one?

12. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Realistically, I am all for buying kids toys. However, I cannot get behind this idea at all. Hasbro has to recognize that these Bees are flooding the shelves so that they can change this in the future. This will just be counter productive.

Not to mention, the kid at the charity is going to say, "Man, why is it whenever I get a toy, it's a fucking Bumblebee? Why does god hate me?"

You single handily are going to make the kid feel that god hates them.

13. ex dtw2003

News Credits:
    Exact-a-mundo!!!!

14. Cortexitron

Cortexitron Alternate Reality Patrol

Love the donation idea, and have been doing it myself since RotF. But rather than drop that much cash on BB's (their everywhere!!), I'm going to pick up my usual donations, then fill a basket of the damn peg warmers and hide it somewhere else in the store. Sure they'll find it eventually, but not before they have to put out fresh stock to fill the shelves...

15. ex dtw2003

News Credits:
    I'm not sure that will work because even if it does get stock out of the back, more won't be ordered because the system will show them still in the system. They will need to be written of as stolen before more is ordered and how long will that take? And what happens when they find them?

16. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    That still doesn't work, they don't order new stock until current stock is cleared. If they show 20 pieces on the floor, then you'll never get new stock at your store.

17. HeroicC300

HeroicC300 Chats with Artists

News Credits:
    I approve. Hmm, I'll have to see if my dad knows any contacts (I'm 17, but this seems like a good way to get rid of excess BB)

18. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Sadly, this thread is going to quickly dissolve into that same old Bumblebee talk ...

19. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

Like I said, it's not any kind of a permanent solution, but let's be honest here. Hasbro appears to plan out its case assortments quite a ways in advance, so a movement of Bees (even if it's only one per overall buyer) wouldn't really reflect for future case assortment decisions until proooobably wave six or seven. It does address the current issue, which is the overstock of Bees clogging the way for new product to move from the back room.

Also, it doesn't have to be Bees, honestly. I know Cliffjumpers still hang around at some stores, and even Wheeljacks on occasion. Whatever can make room for new stuff from the back is what needs to move - it's more about getting the new cases out than about getting rid of the Bees.

Uh-huh. Because being stuck in the situation where the kid has to rely on charity in the first place isn't what makes them question the hand life dealt them, it's the random Bumblebee someone donated. :crazy: 

20. ex dtw2003

News Credits:
    But your plan also means we will CONTINUE to be effed with Bees in the future - let's just eat our vegetables today so we can make sure Hasbro gets the message going forward.