The Buffy/Angel Universe

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by TrueNomadSkies, Oct 4, 2011.

1. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I couldn't find a topic on either of these shows (other than ones about villians & reboots anyway), so I figured I'd drop a united one to show our appreciation for the Buffy/Angel universe that we've always loved (or hated). :) 

Speaking of which, I just finished watching the musical episode right now (last 20 or so minutes of it anyway) & I don't know whether to laugh, cry, or burst out into Glee. Real talk.

2. lord ginrai

lord ginrai D-list Decepticon

News Credits:
    Aaw man, I love Buffy!
    Just rewatched both series last year. Going through the whole thing again brought back so many memories. Really brought a tear to my eye.

3. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Buffy is an incredible show that only really starts going about Season 4. Season 7 is my favourite.

4. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    I don't remember exactly when I started watching Buffy (pretty sure it was in the beginning though), but I honestly think it still holds up today, and the same goes for Angel. If anything, I think I've gotten more outa these shows now than I'm older & not just kinda going with the flow, and I've really never understood why people used to shit on them so much once the 90's went away.

Speaking of which, what was the story with Dawn? Like, I know I missed a bunch of shit in between, but how did she get introduced into the story? Guess I could always google this shit, but it's just not the same that way, heh.

5. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

My favorite character is Illryia. Anybody her reads the comics? What happens to her? I assume she´s still alive.

6. The F.N.G.

The F.N.G. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've got both series on DVD, should give Angel another run though.

She showed up at the start of Season Five with everybody acting like she was there since the beginning. A few episodes into the season it was revealed that she literally didn't exist until her first appearance. She was originally a ball of energy, a Key that could "unlock" the barriers between dimensions, that had been turned into human form. Placed into the Slayers protection, memories were created to make everyone believe she always existed.

7. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    I figured it was one of those "a wizard did it" things, but I missed that episode about her specifically, so I've kinda been wtfing all these years.

Also to Magnus, + infinite rep for Illyria, and I'm still fapping myself to sleep every night wishing the movie with her could happen. Alas, poor Fred. :) 

8. Silk Spectre

Silk Spectre The Evil Queen

Loved Buffy. It was the second television show to ever get me hooked on it (X-Files was the first).

My favorite seasons have always been the first three: the high school years. Honestly, the show lost something for me after the Scooby Gang graduated. I think the show just fit that atmosphere so perfectly. And the loss of Angel, Cordelia and Oz (soon after) didn't help. Never did care as much for the characters they added in later.

That original dynamic was just awesome, and Whedon balanced the characters really well. Buffy was the star, but every character added something to the series. It was easy to get invested in everybody. That takes writing talent.

As far as episodes go, nothing beats "Passion" and the season two finale "Becoming" for me. That finale is the standard to which I hold all other season finales. No wonder none of them ever live up. :cool: 

9. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I enjoyed both a lot actually. The crossovers were delightful.

10. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

I always liked Angel better than Buffy. The show got better and better and Season 5 was just totally off the wall. I wish it would have gotten a sixth season because it would have been great.

Buffy was great through Season 3 but I agree that it lost something when they graduated. I do like Anya's character, though.

11. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

Easily two of my all-time favorite shows. I thought Buffy hit it's peak in season 3 but was still really incredible afterwards. And Angel started out pretty good and only got better with each season. I could do without Conner though.

I also really enjoyed the Buffy comics with Season 8. While it got a bit convoluted at the end, overall it was amazing.

My one complaint though, is that Joss tends to try out all sorts of things with Buffy. First she died, then she came back, then she moped around for a season hooking up with Spike, only to "experiment" in Season 8. The experimental thing I can deal with, but Spike was a (Sid) vicious SOB and I can't understand how she forgot all that.

Does anybody have the new DVD complete series box sets that were recently released? I used to have all of the original sets and they didn't have "Play All" features. I sold them earlier this year with the purpose of getting the new packages and was wondering if the new ones have that feature. It's really inconvenient having to navigate through menus and play each episode one by one, which is how you had to do it with the original sets.

12. The F.N.G.

The F.N.G. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've got the Buffy boxset and there's no "Play All" function. Looks like just the individual seasons packed together.

13. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Well, there might be something you can do when watching it on your computer, such as placing them into a playlist or something.

14. ^o^CORVUS^o^

^o^CORVUS^o^ You call on me to solve a crooked rhyme

Ebay:
    I love Buffy and I love Angel. In fact, I started watching Angel first, when it premiered, and then started watching Buffy. I love them so much, that I used to be regularly involved with the Whedon-Track staff at Dragon*Con.

I'm currently re-watching both shows. Buffy seasons 1-3, then started Buffy season 4 and Angel season 1, alternating shows each episode. And, after tonight's episode of Angel, I have this to say...

[​IMG]

15. Metroplex79

Metroplex79 Hey mouse, say cheese!

As great as season 1-3 was, I felt season 6 of Buffy was fantastic.

Things falling apart, that well done musical ep, then s#!t hit the fan when Evil Willow showed up, I'm sure that arc had some of you at the edge of your seat when it came out.

To this day, I still love the puppet episode on Angel.

16. ^o^CORVUS^o^

^o^CORVUS^o^ You call on me to solve a crooked rhyme

Ebay:
    "Smile Time" is indeed one of the best hours of television EVER. Hilarious!

[​IMG]

17. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    I started recently to watch Buffy again. When it was aired first, I did not watch it regularly, because I was mostly on tour, as I was about 18, 19, 20... so of course seldom at home, only for sleeping ;) 

Anyway, the show is really cool, yesterday I saw the musical episode and Oh. My. God. Buffy and Spike kissed and had sex :eek: 

But then I was spoilered yesterday, because I read a link about something entirely different. I was reading some info about the person who was mentioned at the end of one episode (in loving memory of j d blabla) and then they mentioned that Tara would die at the end of season 6. I hate such things. It was not even a Buffy site. When I'm done with Buffy, I start watching Angel and maybe I will then start reading the comics.

18. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
  19. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    Was it ever revealed until season 5s finale, what the cheese man was about?

20. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Buttstuff Werewolf

News Credits:
    Huge Buffy and Angel fan. In the end I think Angel ended up being a better show, I felt all five seasons of Angel were pretty strong where as Buffy season 1, 6 and 7 faltered. My favourite media is the Angel: After the Fall IDW series, Brian Lynch really captured the voices and spirit of the characters. Dark Horse has done a terrible job with the Angel character since getting the license.