The Budget

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by monosierra, Jun 30, 2009.

1. monosierra

monosierra Well-Known Member

One very important thing about having Michael Bay direct a film is that the man can certainly wring the most out of his budget. At $195 million, ROTF has a smaller budget than films such as Quantum of Solace and Superman Returns - and easily looks much more impressive than either (and more). Casting young stars and enlisting the help of the military helped cut costs (not to mention recycling footage when appropriate).

Watching QoS, I cannot fathom where the money went. Besides the lead's pay check, the results on screen simply don't justify the budget. Whereas all $195 million (excluding P&A) of ROTF are exploding and fighting on screen.

How much of a budget should TF3 get?

Do remember that the CG models that took ILM such a long time to create for the first film can be used again as templates.

Also, military support and monarchy assistance helped defray costs for ROTF too! (All the jets, tanks, submarines, aircraft carriers etc)

2. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In QoS' case, most of it went on glass judging by the first 20 minutes of the film. :lol 

3. Alienbot

Alienbot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Quantum of Solace holds the record for most locations in a single Bond film (six, according to The Hollywood Reporter, including Chile, Panama, Austria, Italy, Mexico and so on), so that explains that.

Bay only spent over a week in Egypt, Jordan and France.

4. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think Devastator should have been cut. I think a large, large part of the effects portion of the budget went to him that he may be the reason why so many other bots had little screentime or where in vehicle mode most of the time.

5. monosierra

I'd say a hefty chunk went to Alice and the whole library sequence too. That was quite unnecessary.

but my point is, what Bay spends, we see.

6. Bottom Out

Bottom Out Well-Known Member

QoS could have shot those 6 diff places in a total of probably 3 though which proves furthe that the director sucks at budgeting....Bay filmed desert scenes in mexico that were portrayed as egypt...thats the kind of money saving that should be going on

7. monosierra

I'd say Superman Returns was another film where the set pieces were simply not impressive enough to justify the price tag. Supes lifting an island vs. The Forest Fight - gimme a break.

8. jonatron26

jonatron26 Well-Known Member

give him all the money he wants. if he could make this kind of movie w/ only 200 mill than think what he could do w/ the half billion used for Spider-man 3

9. HIM666fan

HIM666fan DINOBOT

News Credits:

TWAAA 500million for SPIDEY 3 whatttt

we would have real life walking bots if bay got that much money for TF3 DAMNNN lol and to see how bad spidey 3 sucked thats just a crime!!!

im gonna say TF3 gets around 300 million if the movie keeps doing as well as this then ill deff see that price jump up but i dunno it just seems like a god awful amount of money to toss into a movie

10. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    Dude, you should do some research, Spidey 3 didn't cost 500 million, its ridiculous.

As far as tf3, I would be very pleased if they gave the film 220-240 millions.

11. monosierra

The thing is, after Pearl Harbor, Bay doesn't NEED all that money to churn out a robo-fest. He spends most of it on ILM and live explosions.

TF doesn't need a $30 million Tobey Maguire or endless re-shoots that cost a fortune. That's one reason why I like Bay, despite his sloppy storytelling and poor editing this time - he is disciplined. Far too many directors aren't.

12. TankRizzo

TankRizzo Well-Known Member

I personally think he squandered the CG money. ILM did an excellent job, he just isn't good at translating their work to the screen, plus he's made them needlessly intricate costing even more money. The money they wasted on Devastator should be criminal.

Compared to a movie like Episode III ($113mm, $123 adjusted for inflation) where they created entire WORLDS out of CG, and not a single storm trooper was human; I think they didn't spend their money wisely on this movie.

13. monosierra

Well the story in ROTF didn't need whole worlds - though I do get your point. But imagine if the film hadn't enjoyed the support of the US military - the tanks, jets, and pretty much every bit of military gear must be either procured or CG-ed.

14. darthrage

darthrage Leader Class

News Credits:
    That's one of the reasons why I have much respect for Bay and his work ethics

He knows how to the bang for his buck and also runs a tight and efficient ship

Spidey 3 and POTC:AWE cost $300 million EACH which does not include marketing costs

Transformers (2007) - $145
    ROTF - $195

And both those films are way more entertaining than either from beginning to end.

I understand that Johnny Depp is getting quite expensive to hire. And I suppose the main cast of Spider Man combined can take up quite a bit of the budget.

But Bay, who is passionate about getting his film made under budget and on time is willing slice is director's fee just to get exactly the shots he wants. And he made back the budget in just a matter of days. The rest is all gravy

15. Bottom Out

Bottom Out Well-Known Member

budget costs dont just go into cgi....

16. TankRizzo

All of the analog aspects, yes, Bay knows how to utilize, but I still say he needlessly wasted a lot of money on CG. The fight scenes in ROTF were better, but let's face it, they were still largely a jumbled mess at times. And Devastator was completely pointless.

17. ntsan

ntsan Well-Known Member

The difference is Lucas own both of them, so of course it is cheaper if it is done for the owner! (like those DIYs lol)

18. TankRizzo

Beowulf - $150,000,000
    Wall-E - $180,000,000
    Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within - $137,000,000 ($167,005,164 adjusted for inflation)
    Hellboy II - $72,000,000

I'm just saying, I think dollar for dollar the money could have been a little better spent on ROTF.

19. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They shouldn't even wasted time on Devastator.

Just kept individual robot mode constructicons and protoforms, used the rest on more all CGI scenes.

20. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The movie would have probably needed another $50 million or so to get Devastator really involved in the final battle. If he wasn't in period, I definitely think we would see many more full transformations and less idle vehicle shots.