The BotCon 2008 Questions Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by Maximus_Prime, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Maximus_Prime

Maximus_Prime Graphicon

News Credits:
    Hey there guys, well the big announcement came today and made me really happy because I just live in lower Michigan and BotCon is in Cincinnati! Well I definitely am going to go for sure but there are a few things I want to ask and anyone who has went can answer too, I want a lot of your guys' opinions

If you stay at a different hotel (one not connected with BotCon) do you miss out on anything?

Within the four days which days are the most vital? (I was thinking about going for the first 3 but I want to hear others opinions) I really would love to stay all 4 but that week is my finals UGH.

I know you can bring your own stuff for contests and selling, is there any paperwork to do for any of that?

Someone explain all that happens at registration, also what is a good time to get there for it (on the first day of the show i'd assume)

I know I have more questions but I can't think of them right now, if you guys could help me out and tell me about your experiences with BotCon it would really help.

I can't wait to go, i'm going to go every year for sure now. :) 

Also if anyone else wants to ask questions on this thread they are more than welcome to

2. Grimlocka go-go

Grimlocka go-go Back from the Dead TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^ just about mirrors every question i have as well

Also about the custom contest, here's hoping no Jin, Redline, Liokaiser, Superquad7, or anybody else from tfw2005 enters! (i might have a chance then :D )

3. DeeJay

DeeJay Bluestreak Brony

News Credits:
    It depends what TIME you are in said hotel ;) 

If you plan to hit the parts parties, which are held in the Hyatt (because we all know how much Megamus cares), you won't be spending much time in your own hotel room.

Sucks about finals week.
    Thursday: meeting up with folks, contest info, tours/classes - essential only if you're involved in these activities
    Friday: Essential if you pre-reg. Can't get into the dealer room if you don't.
    Saturday: Essential for walk-ins.
    Sunday: Cleanup, teardown, exchanges with friends. Not essential, but the best time to unwind and enjoy the roots of botcon: fans meeting other fans.

You talking per-day walk-in registration, or pre-reg?
    Pre-reg happens online, and you can find out all you need to know at botcon.com. Walk-in reg.... I dunno.

4. AutobotSDG

AutobotSDG Well-Known Member

Not really... Gone are the days of Hotel Attendee Exclusives. That lasted for, I think, one convention. Otherwise, there is really nothing other than a little more walking/driving distance between where you sleep and the convention.

Thursdays are mainly for Registration pick-up, but that can be done throughout the con if you can't get there sooner. Otherwise it's just the day when everybody comes in and hangs out, getting acquainted with the layout of everything.

You can bring your own stuff to sell and do it out of your room (or someone else's) on Thursday night as well. That's when all the room parts trading happens. If you wanted a dealer table there is paperwork through FP that you would need to fill out.

You stand in a long line for what feels like days... In fact a lot of people start lining up for reg pickup very early. Like Monday, I think. Well, that's how it seems to me anyway, hahaha. Once you get to the table you give them a paper from your registration confirmation packet you will receive in the mail about a month before the 'con and they get you your items you registered for (i.e.: Boxset of exclusives, namebadge, lanyard... etc.) You then step out of that line and get into the additional souveniers line. Which can also be a pretty long line depending on how quickly you got through registration pickup.

Here is last year's schedule for the entire convention to give you a possibly better idea of what goes on day to day:
    http://www.botcon.com/botcon07/BC07%20schedule.pdf. Keep in mind, things like the Hasbro tour WILL NOT happen this year, so ignore that part of the schedule.

I'm sure there is more to add I just can't think of it, I hope my input helped.

5. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Moved to the convention forum where it'll be easier to get questions answered.

6. madeguy20

madeguy20 Banned

News Credits:
    Last year's Botcon was my first, and I learned the following... and I apologize if this is known info, or has previously been reported:

1. The two incentives to the hotels booked through Botcon are that you, at least last year, got a Transformers themed room key, and of course, a discounted rate.

2. If you are interested in tours of the area and customizing classes, book a day early, if not, get there on thursday to pick up your package.

3. You really need to pick and choose what you want to do in terms of panels and autograph sessions... I say plan ahead so you can get to each place that much earlier to guarantee a spot.

4. I also went knowing that there were at least 3 figures I wanted to have, and waited on them for the last day of the convention when they drop the prices.

5. Finally, if you can afford it, get a couple of the convention sets and sell them on Ebay Thursday night, you will make all of your money back, I promise. They also make great trading items to the dealers.

Hope that helps.

7. elkkthunder

elkkthunder Well-Known Member

My wife and I have only ever went to SDCC so I only have that for comparison. Should we both join the TFCC now to get a better price. It seems that it is worth it based on last years pricing.

8. airfox

airfox TF: Cybertronian Wars!

News Credits:
    You don't, but I've always had a better time when I've stayed on the con hotel. At least its easier to get your haul to your room.

If you're preregistering: Friday and Saturday.

If you aren't: Saturday.

Only if you're a dealer. Otherwise, you can use the Trading Board that Fun Publication will setup at the lobby and write there what you have, what you want and where will you sell/trade it (room number, hotel, etc.)

When you receive you pre-reg package (around a month before the convetion), you'll get a color coded time frame with information on when you can pick up your stuff.

On Convention Thursday, you go on that time frame (usually 2 hours) or after it, get into your line (sometimes VERY long lines) and pick your stuff.

After that, you can go to the Transformers Collectors Club Store Line (cash or credit card, there are usually 2 lines) and get the souvenirs, past souvenirs and even some retail products if you please.

After that, what I do is go to my room and study the registration material; I separate what I'll need for everyday (like the badge) and what I'll need for Friday, Saturday and/or Sunday (for example, I just take the Feedback forms on Sunday). I also check the schedule and decide when I'll go to the panels and when I'll be in the dealer room. Some panels are scheduled twice during the weekend, but others such as the Convention Organizers' panel and the Hasbro panel are just scheduled once.

If you register for a tour or a Thursday class, you can pick up your materials on Wednesday. I don't know how it works on those days though.

Sunday is also good to get last minute deals.

-airfox

9. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
  10. Greenshadow0

Greenshadow0 Well-Known Member

Yar, it sounds like Saturday is pretty important. :eek: 

11. Maximus_Prime

Maximus_Prime Graphicon

News Credits:
    Thanks for all the input so far guys!

So is it a safe bet to come the day before the Con starts? To get all situated and such?

12. xZAOx

xZAOx Yep.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What's nice about showing up for Thursday is that you won't have to wait in a long line on Friday, and can go right on into the dealer room. Plus parts trading goes on more heavily Thursday night.

13. Motor_Master

News Credits:
    :lol  instead you'll wait in a long line Thursday to get Registrered... another long line if you want to buy any of the exclusives. Then another long line to get into the dealer's room on Friday for the preview.

14. $5HotRod

$5HotRod Trailbreaker Fan

Ebay:
    Only tip I can give is WATCH YOUR STUFF AT ALL TIMES! At the last Botcon, there were reports of thievery. Redline, I believe, lost his custom Motormaster. A dealer had a G1 Grimlock and Swoop stolen from him...I think they were MISB. Seriously, I hope they get some guys just to watch the art pieces this year in order to prevent anything from walking.

15. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Here's my question... Since I (unfortunately) won't be able to attend... When will ordering for the non-attendee package begin?

16. Motor_Master

News Credits:
    All packages will be able to be ordered starting on the same day. It's just one form you fill out and you just simply check off which package you're buying.

17. Munkeefist

Munkeefist Member

News Credits:
    Staying at the con hotel will definately enhance your fun...I live 35 mins. outside of Cincy and would not even think about not staying at the hotel...It realllllly comes in handy if you like to party like me...I plan on drinking until I pi$$ myself, but thats just me...That's how I roll...

Unnnhhhhhhhh..........

18. Orion P

Orion P Cybertronian P.I.M.P.

I plan on attending but not really interested in the tours and such, What day should i get there on the 25th instead of the 24th??

19. gen1fan

gen1fan G1 PRIME FROM VA TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    if not answer already. TO sell in the dealer room you need to buy a dealers table or booth. If you do not have that much stuff to sell try to sell it either off a dealers table you know or sell out of your hotel room

20. NeilJam

NeilJam Resident Audiophile

Where does everyone get together to party at Botcon? Are there room parties or do people get together at nearby bars (or the hotel bar)?