The Black Hole

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Insane Galvatron, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I remembered watching this as a kid. I could only vaguely remember the robots, but not their names. Wal-Mart had the DVD for only $10, so I said "What the heck?" and bought it.

For as old as it is, it's held up well. I'd buy it on Blu-Ray. Now I want Vincent, Bob, and Maximillian action figures.

Anybody else remember this movie?

2. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Hell yes, it's a great movie. I remember going to see it when it came out. I'm sure I used to have a V.I.N.C.E.N.T. toy when I was a kid as well.

3. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Don't mention good movies, Hollywood will try to make bad remakes

4. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    I don't know what they're selling for these days, but I would imagine if they're in good condition they ain't cheap since they were made by Mego.

Here's an a vintage commercial:

YouTube - Mego Black Hole Action Figure Commercial

And some pics:

Mego Black Hole Action Figure

It was really too dark of a movie to be marketed to kids, but the Mego toys were pretty nice for their time. That sculpt of Ernest Borgnine's character is a creepy dead-on likeness.

I used to have a Maximillian figure that I got at a yard sale a couple decades ago, but I don't know what happened to it.

Yes, and still enjoy it for nostalgic reasons in spite of the fact it's so danged slow. And to this day I still don't understand the ending.

5. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

Yes sir, I do indeed remember this movie, fondly. So much so that I too have it on DVD.
    And it's true, it has held up well, all things considered.

The iconic running from the burning asteroid...classic, and full of sheer win.

They kinda wanted the ending to be open to interpretation for the masses. (I tried studying up on it myself)

But more or less, they ended it on the Heaven/Hell premise. Borgnine's pals where bathed in white light, almost like a sunny day and fade to black as the credits roll.

The Doctor (his name escapes me at the moment, odd though, considering his name is Maximilian Schell, and his robot shared his name) stands atop fire and brimstone, peering out from where a visor would be inside one of his robots, trapped there for all eternity, with Maximilian floating around in the distance.

Heaven & Hell. That's how I took it, and I'm sticking with it.

6. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    saw that on TCM a few around Christmas/New Year's.
    It is slow in parts, but after reading on Wiki all the work that went into it (like disney having an in-house version of ILM) i respect it despite the cheese.
    And Uncredited actors for the Robots- Slim Pickens and Roddy McDowall made it better.

I gotta watch that commercial and look at the pics to see how they made Maximillian stand.

7. Misatokitty

Misatokitty The Major

What was it with the ghost at the end, though? That always confused me, because there'd kind of been no other hint of that kind of thing in the movie.

8. drsyn

drsyn Classics Big member

Don't forget the Excellent Score composed by John Barry (of many James Bond films fame and much much more)

9. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    The special features on the DVD basically said they went with that ending because it looked cool. There is no official answer as to what it means. I thought heaven/hell too, except they were in the ship and flying towards what looked like an eclipse.

10. blunghole

blunghole The Tapeworm of Unicron!

News Credits:
    I loved that film as a kid, and I watched it last year and was amazed at how good it still was. Anthony Perkins is amazing in that film!

11. GENOZAUR

GENOZAUR Banned

my gues on the whol heaven and hell sequence is that kate used her esp powers to link with rhineharts dying/dead mind and in doing so saw for herself his fate

a fate in which hans rhineheart was himself made a human robot but in a very devinely ironic twisted sense that his head which to me at least represtents his damned soul/spirit bieng imprisoned within maximillions robotic body as punishment for his have murdered frank macrae the crew and having placed macraes mind/ head atrophied body/living corpse into maximillions body with rhineheart also bieng made to suffer the horrible fate he had subjected macrae and the crew to in turning them into humaniod robots

as for the ghost it is quite possible that it was the spirit of franke macrae himself being set free from maximillions robotic body and being allowed to rise out of hell and into heaven

all of that would be happening as kates vision in the afterlife while in real life the surviving members ofthe palimino crew would complete their journey through the core of the black hole and forcibly exit from it in creating a white hole/ wormhole

12. GENOZAUR

GENOZAUR Banned

does that pretty much sum up the ending?

13. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You made me want to watch it. I think I'll put it on tonight. I still own that lil' gem.

14. Katamari Prime

Katamari Prime Hassan Chop! TFW2005 Supporter

Need to get that movie on Blu-ray.

"Maximillian, Help me."

15. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I love that film - own a copy of it, I do.