The Black Hole (1979)

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Streck, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Streck

Streck <B><FONT COLOR="#FF0000">QED</B></FONT> Veteran

Just watched it in nine parts on on YouTube.

The ship on which most of the film takes place, the Cygnus, is ridiculously cool, and almost everything else about the film is ridiculously bad. One critic called that ship a "giant black wrought-iron skeleton of a Victorian exhibition hall taken to flight" and I don't think I could put it better. It's like the Event Horizon's stately uncle, especially with its interiors, which are magnificently cavernous excesses.

As far as I'm concerned, Kosinski is more than welcome to try at a remake.

YouTube - The Black Hole (1979) [1/10]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  2. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I like it. My mom took me to see the Black Hole when I was eight.

I had seen horror movies and the like that I shouldn’t have when I was younger, but the difference here is The Black Hole took me completely unawares.
    For one thing, it was Disney. For another thing it was science fiction. Disney + science fiction = awesome, right?

I remember being a little scared during the opening credits.
    The music is damn creepy. But as the movie started properly I got more comfortable with it.
    There was the space cowboy-type, the pretty lady, and VINCENT –the flying R2-D2 who sounded like C-3PO.
    But all comfort left once they reached the ship. The scary, dark ship run by a mad man with a crew that was basically reanimated dead.
    Maximilian is an evil robot with drills for weapons who actually used them on screen.

And then all of this is finished off with a view into Hell.
    Thank you, Disney for many sleepless nights.
    I’ve watched it again recently and the film does hold up well. Some things are dated looking, but the creepy atmosphere of the film is still present –but maybe that’s nostalgia on my part.

3. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke A Man, Who Does Not Exist. TFW2005 Supporter

so you made a whole thread to say I hate this film? sorry if I misinterpret.

It is one of my favorite films ever, I agree the human acting was pretty dry and it's a weakness, but the Robots made up for it all on their own in my eyes.
    As smasher said John Barry put forth what was top on my list of movie scores until Tron: Legacy, it is still the second and it will take a mountain to move my top 2 ever again!
    The work they did with VINCent, BOB and of course the big evil Maximilian was amazing. Especially the scene where BOB died, if you didn't feel anything at that scene, then you don't have a heart. They implied so much emotion from Vincent just with a small eye gesture and the music, the way BOB drifts away right before your eyes and the resounding thud as his dome falls for the the last time. it's one of the most poignant scenes I ever saw in my youth. The sheer malignancy and viciousness from Max was something only seen from characters like Michael Meyers, silent emotionless killing.

You also have to take into account the sheer horror of the Humanoid Robots, if you take a minute and ponder on what that really means it's terrifying how close are we to having the tech to actually do that.

If you take the time to really dig into it a little bit there is a lot of deeper things going on in that film than you see in the surface. and that's not even mentioning the end.

I do however totally agree with you on the Cygnus, it is an amazingly constructed movie vehicle, I have never in any film since then seen a ship that was so unique and interesting looking (and while I am a rabid Trek fan, I even have to include ships of that franchise in the list below it, while I love me some of the better Starfleet ships they just don't come close), and there is nothing in Stinkwars that even approaches it by miles.

4. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    I LOVE this film.

5. Streck

As opening sequences go, it's pretty daring - nothing but minimal wireframe graphics. And I respect the willingness to experiment. To my modern eye, it's not as engaging as an opening should be, but I imagine 1979 audiences were blown away.

I'm ambivalent about the music. Sometimes it's really good, with the grandeur that other aspects of the film (like the dialogue and clumsy religious analogies) try and fail to communicate. But sometimes John Barry's repetitive wheedling, which is all over the opening, makes me want to perforate my eardrums.

His almost aristocratic manner was unusual for a robot, and rather refreshing.

Also, I never thought I'd hear lines like "Death is their only release" and "This is a death ship" in the voice of Slim Pickens from something that resembled an abused toy (BOB).

6. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Sheer horror is exactly what I felt when I was a kid and I saw that one robot 'unmasked'.

7. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Maximillian was bad-ass.

8. KnightHawkke

Tell me about it, and damned if I did not mess that sentence up...

At the deepest heart of the film, it's meant to be a strong warning against obsession. It's what destroyed Reinhardt leading to the finale of everything being destroyed around him.
    Is any remake going to carry that over? I doubt it since in everything I have read about it I have not even heard it mentioned once, hence it will turn into just another cgi'd up wannabe poor clone of a classic.
    But, we can hope, the guy did a decent enough job with Tron: Legacy, even with Disney doing all they could to sabotage it. Time will tell.

9. Jochimus

Jochimus Well-Known Member

Eh, 's'OK. It has some ambitious elements - let's face it, any movie that's essentially an outer-space version of "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea" with zombie robots can't be ALL bad - and it's definitely good for a few creeps as a result, but other than that I just feel there's something slightly...schizophrenic about the film. I'm not quite sure what it is. I think if the script had gone through one more rewrite, it might have had a better shot at giving Lucas a run for his lightsaber.

That's probably why I'm actually receptive to a remake.

10. Lord Shockwave

Lord Shockwave Well-Known Member

Maximillian. Baddest ass robot ever.

Hope Kosinski doesn't alter him much.

11. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

I agree, completely. If there's one thing about this movie that shouldn't be altered, it's Maximilian. I hope they keep the overall feel of the Cygnus, too.

12. Streck

If they keep any of the interior, I'll be impressed. It was absurdly, awesomely spacious, with lots of '60s and '70s design sensibilities that I wouldn't expect to survive in a remake.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've seen it years ago on cable. The ending had me confused.

14. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    One of my favorite films - a classic tale of lethal obsession, set againat the dark, deranged backdrop of the titular black hole. Vincent was the very first robot I encounted in any medium, and remains a fixture on my list of celebrated mechanoids. Love that little guy; he is the story's true hero, not any of the human protagonists (never could relate with them). And big bad Max? He's left me fascinated with deadly, hulking, silent killing machines ever since. Count me in among those who shed tears over Bob's courageous last moments. The Cygnus, with its retro-futuristic design elements, is one of the most impressive settings I've ever seen. And the ending, with its hellish visions and unearthly beauty, just left me transfixed.

Love, love, LOVE this movie.

15. KnightHawkke

Your not the only one my friend, the book had a totally different ending, it ended with Kate staring up at the Sistine Chapel looking at a picture of herself in the paintings.. which in and of itself is pretty open to all different kind of interpretations

It's a Masterpiece! I agree we will probably never see anything that epic ever again.

Don't worry he has said He wants Max just the way he is, even the same death scene for Dr. Durant.

I have always thought the Sentry Robots and STARR could have had a bigger role, STARR could have at some point attacked Max out of jealousy and been utterly obliterated by Max followed by a squad of sentries being leveled as well.. Maybe a scene after Max leaves Reinhardt and before he fights VINCent, would have added a whole new element of wicked to Max!

Now I am going to try to make MAX VINCent and BOB on Lego digital designer. :lol 

16. shadowsfm

shadowsfm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    thanks for the link, i haven't seen this in decades, and loved every minute of it. as long as the remake is more about the characters and less about the action, then i'm sure it will be good. which is something directors have forgotten these days