Minor/Repaint: The Bike Triplets PLUS (WIP)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Boy Blunder, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

So, I'm a diagnosed bike-bot fan. It's a very real problem that I try to address one day at a time. It was really bad, at one point; I bought Chromia and ROTF Arcee, and had the intent to not only buy Elita-1, but also the 'RotorWash Rumble' version of Arcee, as well. But I came to my senses eventually, and sold off those two before I had to check in to a clinic.

But then, I had an idea: Arcee's first movie mold was pretty damn excellent, why not replace the sisters (Chromia and Elita-1) with that? Heck, Elita had Arcee's body-type in some of the prequel comics, it's a perfect fit. Just some headswaps and some paint, and I'd have a new troupe of bike-bots on my shelf. I could even go further, get more Arcees and repaint them as other characters!

So, my first experiment towards this was small - see what would work for a headswap. The figures I had on-hand were limited, but I gave it a shot to see if ROTF Sideswipe's head would work on the Arcee body.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    (Sorry about the poor pic quality; all I had access to at the time was my camera phone.)

The result is... questionable. It fits well enough, but the wheels make the head look small. The figure still transforms quite smoothly, so I may run with this idea and see how the head works as Elita. I plan to use one of the ROTF bike-bot heads with an Arcee body for Chromia, since in the recent prequel comics, Chromia's depicted as having the same head as the ROTF body.

In addition, (and this was mostly a recommendation from my fiancee) I began experimenting with digibashes, resulting in the following:
    [​IMG]
    Inspired by the Botcon set with Drag Strip as a repainted Arcee, this version takes the 'Kill Bill' homage and runs with it, specifically in that the vehicle would now be a (mostly) yellow motorcycle, similar to Uma Thurman's in the film (although the wrong model; Arcee is based on the Buell Firebolt, while Thurman's bike was a Yamaha model). The only other one that I considered was a Flamewar, but that can just as easily be repurposed from a Japanese-release Black Arcee (if I ever have the money to snag one).

Obviously, I won't be going further with these until I can use toys that aren't from my personal collection, but I wanted to post the idea, half to get some feedback and suggestions, and half to keep it somewhere that I'll remember. :D 

Attached Files:

2. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    dragstrip is F'n genius!!!!!! but please use another head... this could be perfection mate :D 

3. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

I figured the SS head wouldn't work, at least not as a straight head swap. I'm open to suggestions for alternates, though.

4. Slothboy

Slothboy Nick

To be honest I don't mind the Sideswipe head when the wheels are folded back. It's just when they're on the chest do they make the head look small.
    I haven't got my movie1 Arcee on hand to see for myself, but would it be possible to build up more of a collar to make the neck blend in to the head more?

5. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

You mean, on the body, around the neck? Or on the head, around the neck? Also, I'm not really versed in what materials you'd use to try that (nor how to use them), but I'd be willing to give it a shot.

6. Slothboy

Slothboy Nick

On the body around the neck. Apoxie sculpt is a good brand for sculpting stuff!

7. G60Force

Ebay:
    Oh I see I made a booboo :) 
    I tottaly missed that the headswap with SS was intended for DS :D 
    Yeah with wheel folded back it's a WINNER when folded to chest LOSER!! ;) 

8. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

No, the Sideswipe head would be for Elita, if anyone. Drag Strip would have the regular Arcee head.

9. Alloy Alchemist

Alloy Alchemist Decepticon sympathizer

the ss head looks good on there

10. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

Thanks! I think it'll look a bit better once they have the same color. Part of what's throwing it is probably the stark difference between the purple-magenta and the silver.

I'll give it a shot; right around the neck joint is where the crossbow/seat connects in the transformation, but I can see what I can fiddle out of that.

11. G60Force

Ebay:
    then I'll revert.. get another head

12. Slothboy

Slothboy Nick

Cool stuff, though if it's too much trouble then I'd just pick a more suitable head. :) 

13. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

UPDATE: No real movement to speak of regarding the head-swaps, but I had a hair to start considering how to differentiate the proposed Dragstrip repaint, besides the paint job. I did some research on the motorcycle from Kill Bill, and found that it's apparently a 2002 Kawasaki ZZR 250. My first thought was to change some of the body work and make Arcee's not!Buell Firebolt alt-mode look at least similar to the ZZR. Part of it would be some added kibble on the legs (to form the front shell area), but the headlight/windshield assembly would be the more difficult part, since it sits high enough that the pin in the front of the motorcycle mode wouldn't be viable.

Suggestions?