The big TLK concept art thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Shockwavers, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Dark Prime

Dark Prime An Asshole Saiyajin

YouTube:
    NIGHTMARE FUEL CONFIRMED!!!!

2. MindChamber

MindChamber Multi-Media-Masta

Real bummer so many of these artists put so much thought, heart and soul into these works.. and a group of writers get millions to cobble up trash..

• Like Like x 1
  3. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    Yes possibly. I just remembered this epic piece right here.

[​IMG]

The last knight overflowed with ideas. It easily could have been broken into 5 movies.

• Like Like x 6
  4. fishpop

fishpop Squishy

Ebay:
    Mi amigo Sqweeks!

5. ZapRowsdower

ZapRowsdower Scouring the BF web to save you $$$!

I like V01c or V01e! :thumb 

But overall, still a creepy, stubby character, imo. I expected so much after seeing all the merch... and he did almost nothing in the movie! :rolleyes2  He could've been featured better, but... wow, his face was a nightmarish mess! :eek:  Probably a good thing not to feature him too long on the silver screen.

6. Lazlow007

Lazlow007 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
  7. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    Not a Drift fan at all. Maybe more new concept soon.
    I was looking at these old game concepts for WFC, and to me they could also have worked as quintessons alien planet.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. mattyou78

mattyou78 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  9. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movieverse fan

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    I still remember when those showed up and people thought it was concept art for DOTM and that it was going to be a movie set outside of earth.

• Like Like x 3
  10. TheSuperion

TheSuperion Am...were...Aerialbots

God, why the hell did they feel the need to stick another blackface robot into the movies, after how badly Mudflap and Skids were received? If there's one character I hope never gets a Studio Series release, other than the twins, its fucking Mohawk. I don't want that racist shit on my shelf.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Digger

Digger Gohan wa Okazu!

upload_2018-11-5_7-14-12.jpg
    Man I don’t know about you guys but I wish they used this amazing concept for Optimus Primal.

• Like Like x 4
  12. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    His color scheme reminds me of Road Rage.

Can't see any blackface elements on Mohawk honestly. The designs remind me of those African wood folk statues/art which is bizarre yet interesting.

Yeah if you have him with the gorilla design from a while back with Optimus elements you got yourself a good movie Primal. :) 

• Like Like x 2
  13. TheSuperion

TheSuperion Am...were...Aerialbots

It's the gold teeth that's the dead giveaway, cause one of the twins had the exact same shit. That, and the voice they chose for him in the movie, which is about as blatant as can be.

• Like Like x 5
  14. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I remember, those drones looked cool in the movie... certainly better than what we had in Ready Player One.
    I still cannot figure out how Mohawk\'s head works. Are those blips on the side his eyes, like an insect\'s? I do hope he gets a toy in Studio Series eventually - he has a weird but memorable design, and the only one on Megatron\'s team who was not a  modified existing design

• Like Like x 1
  15. Burnout00012

Burnout00012 お前はもう死んでいる

He's got chameleon eyes.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    Another interesting Canopy idea early in production. By the end of it all, they went with another LongHaul model.

17. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    Mohawk was better as he is.

18. MrNiceGuy

MrNiceGuy Well-Known Member

Yeah seriously, the concept art of ruined Chicago/the orphans/Canopy looks really interesting.
    Was it supposed to be a bigger plot point, I wonder?
    Sideways just had an actual fight scene planned instead of running away, I don't recall him ever having a "role" in the story, so to speak.
    The Canopy stuff seems bigger than that. Although, that could just be an artists' interpretation. Maybe it never really mattered, and was just an excuse to introduce the new female sidekick.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  19. Deadend

Deadend Overloaded Spark

News Credits:
    At one time yeah. In early concept stages. There was a lot of material didn't make the final shooting script because there were too many ideas, and concerns of where audiences would lean or want. There was at one time plans for it to be the Izzie movie of an Orphan that finds family, and how she eventually becomes part of Cade's family and finds a new home after everything she's been through.(Which funnily enough got spun out into Wahlberg's newest produced movie to give that story more room to thrive and feel more heartfelt and true to those that go through those things! Which looks fantastic too and has been getting some great praise. Same as how Wahlberg's oil rig movie was partially inspired by G1's Spike story of working on an oil rig but then finding a true story to adapt to that. So while the TF movies themselves have been mixed, what's come out because of them has been more than worth it.)

At another point there was more on Quintessa and various cybertronian life forms, and new earth born animal transformers because of unicron or Quintessa terraforming earth for merging to cybertron. There was an entire WWII movie that was shoved in as a flashback, and the King Arthur and Merlin stuff as ancient cybertronians that visited earth(which was part of other things including Quintessa). There are entire areas of Cogman that got cut. Drift fighting Mohawk, and much more. And this was also Bay's send off movie, and the anniversary of the films. So it was all thrown into a blender, and then condensed and compressed to fit a shorter run time. The full vision was too long of a run time and too budget heavy, add in the fact "fans" at the time were throwing fits about everything from "how dare a girl be in transformers as more than a love interest or sexual object!" to accusations of sexualizing a minor, and complaints about the run time, and more. That you can also see that Bay was distracted by everything the fans were whining about trying to please all these different areas and mentalities that he even forgot to give UK veterans a heads up, and he's usually on top of that stuff because he's careful about veterans. You can see a lot of the plans for Izzie's story in some of her scenes and exposition, including her yelling at Megatron because of how sick of losing bots she is. But even that trailer scene was trashed by fans.

So TLK, while not bad, does play as a kind of "readers digested" of several stories, all with too little content, their emotional beats overlapping, no time to feel the oomph from the emotional beats before they are hammered away at by other flashy new content, and stuff gutted to the point it was only the bare essentials to keep the movie moving forward in key scenes.
    It was honestly too much content, and could have been better served to be broadened out to two or three movies+, but then there were also concerns of if there would even be more films after this outside of Bumblebee's and the animated feature. Because the movies were on a "have to make the budget back first" model. The solo features hadn't started yet either, so that option wasn't available either.

But there were indeed some plans to expand on Izzie's character story, as well as other material associated to bumblebee that was planned too.
    A lot of which we'll likely see expanded in a sequel. TLK was honestly more "setup" for the next era than anything as it was also wrapping up Cade's story too.

That's probably the biggest issue to TLK overall, it has a lot of amazing content, but so much of it is condensed to the bare essentials, to move the characters forward, define them, and carry the main story, that it's all compressed to the point that it's a blink and you miss it loaded down with no chance to really feel it. Audiences need more decompressed to let it sink in. Even the fantastic scenes that get praised, are buried underneath the briskness of the pace to keep the run time down. So the sequel won't have that problem, and will likely revisit chunks that didn't get used before to expand better in more ways with humanity to focus on the similarities between humans and transformers to better work the parallels and emotional attachments while still giving some cool visuals.

The full original vision for TLK would have been awesome. But I do have to admit it would have been upwards of 3-4 hours and been way over budget. It's one of those movies that probably would have been better as a Netflix series. This is also one of the reasons we have no IDW prequel tie-in material to it too, besides Bay's distaste for it. Any side content will be what's used in later installments, but going forward that is one of the things that's being talked about too as the next chapter or two chapters get a new director. There are discussions that the next two chapters would be done in a part 1 & part 2 method using the setup from TLK to spike the films home (volleyball metaphor). But right now there's also a lot of concerns of audience responses. And other concerns about the market oversaturation, and how capitalizing on Nostalgia might be needed. Then also one of the main creative directors/unnamed producers was going through a lot of heavy shit being battered on all sides by different areas that weren't exactly conducive to good work either, but since they've been one of the big involved areas since Day 1 too, it wasn't someone that could be replaced. But time marches on, and there were deadlines. To put it bluntly, this was the LOTR of the movies, but then suffered because of how over condensed it was hoping that bare essentials would be enough to setup any next chapters.

It was a lot of factors that played into it, but going forward, and the side stories, things are getting back on track. One of the other big problem areas was also removed (not Bay), and it took some time to detoxify that area from that bad influence that was blocking a lot of material from reaching its full potential. Bay was honestly more up for trying anything than he often gets credit for, and going so far as to even taking the backlash for areas because he knew where the issues were. He really doesn't get the credit he deserves for all he's done.

But going forward, there is a lot of amazing material to come, that both fans and general audiences will really love. That has heart, and nostalgia, and can get the movies back on track going forward. There was talk at one time of rebooting too, but it may not be needed as yet because there were a lot of details set aside to salvage the movie-universe if ever needed. Like how Que was a last minute change from Wheeljack to leave more classic material open for later use, as well as a lot of background info scattered across the movies that can be drawn on to really carry the movies forward better. Same as there's also talk about how it's possible to merge aesthetics without an issue but to also better dive into Cybertronian physiology. Also what kind of material can bring audiences back while still carrying the Bumblebee emphasis forward, and building on a Prime emphasis next too with also ways to potentially create new fan favorites to create other spotlight opportunities.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    • Like Like x 6
  20. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    Not a significant role. A small scene in the movie.