The Big-O...

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Codimus Prime, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

Anyone own the box set? I got interested in this show after watching a clip online...

Whats it like? What are your opinions?

2. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have both series from back when they were originally released. It's a solid anime with a noir feel to it. It can get a little confusing so you'll want to pay close attention to the events that unfold. Individually, the episodes are predictable and play out like most other giant robot animes, but I'd still recommend it.

3. MilkManX

MilkManX TF Comicbook Fan

If you love Film Noir,Giant Robots,Cryptic storytelling,fluid Alex Toth/Bruce Timm meets anime animation then this show is gonna rock you.

I love the show. I am bummed we never got Season 3.

4. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Great show. Watched it one Adult Swim..

Loved when it finally time to show the last episode of Season two and they goofed and showed the wrong episode. Next week they appologize for it and start to play the episode (same one they showed the previous week) then about 5 seconds later they say Just kidding and show the real one.

5. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

I've got the whole series, and thought it was good, but gets a bit "out there" towards the end. then I looked up some big-o message boards and found out some bizarre theories about who dorothy was, and that all of the city was actually a big stage, and so on. adds a whole nother element to the story.

6. Rhinox

Rhinox We bring surreal to life

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Personally, I like it. My friends, though, call it Batman, but with a giant robot.

Meh, they just don't get it. :D 

7. Edge

Edge weapon of destruction

Batman with a giant robot is actually rather accurate IMO

8. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

Worth dropping $30 on the DVD set? Seems pretty cool from the one or two robot fight scenes I saw. But is it about 10 percent Robot and 90 percent story?

Whats the ratio?

I know we all come from the TF world where it's mostly robot and story... so I have high expectations.

I might even be able to overcome less robot for a good story (through the series).

9. Katamari Prime

Katamari Prime Hassan Chop! TFW2005 Supporter

Last episode's ending=????

10. Enigma2K2

Enigma2K2 Robot In Disguise TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    There are some head scratching moments (like the last episode's ending..), but it's a great series...

11. Metal Soldier

Metal Soldier The Robot

I'm guessing you mean this set? Its worth it but you only get the first season of the show. The second season comes out in another set later this year. Some episodes are a lot of mech on mech action, some are more story and character driven. I'd say it evens out to make a great show. I'll probably pick up the set this week.

12. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    It's an excellent series. I watched it one time on TV and was immediatly hooked (helps the first one I saw was "Enemy is Another Big"). The first season is mostly self contained stories with some interesting mecha battles, the second season is the one that gets a bit out there with all the weird developments, and the bizarre ending. Although when you think about the ending in context with the rest of the series, it makes sense. I actually rewatched a good part of the series after seeing the ending and certain things fit into context when you watch it back to front like that.

It's worth picking up, one of the best mecha anime out there.

13. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I remember that! That was back when Adult Swim was actually cool.
    Now they run bumpers like: We hate this anime crap, but the guys at the top say we have to play it. So here.
    Other than Family Guy, Venture Brothers and Robot Chicken, Adult Swim is a complete waste now. I never watch it anymore. (How is that for a digression?)

I think that "Batman with a giant robot" is a fairly good and favorable assesment of the show. The show is more than that, but "Batman with a giant robot" is a major component.
    I absolutely loved the show and rated it very high on my personal list, but the last episode seems like they suddenly decided to try to get the award for worst anime ending ever.
    I know there are a lot of theories on what happened and that you can look at it in a lot of different ways, but the last episode was bizarre, incredulous, and wholly unsatisfying after investing so much time in the show and its characters.

14. Xabungle

Xabungle Well-Known Member

I think what's worse is that they also complain about their action ratings, when everyone there seems to hate the action cartoons. What's up with that?

15. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I remember when Toonami was showing the Big O in the afternoons and it seemed that the network didn't realize that it wasn't really appropriate for the afternoons.

They moved it to Adult Swim and partnered it with Cowboy Bebop.
    I had already seen all of Bebop on DVD, but I watched them both anyway.
    Back then, the anime shows were good, the comedy shows were mostly good.

Now we have Saul and the Mole Men and Tim and Eric. And a bunch of guys telling us via bumpers that we are stupid if we don't like those shows.
    I can't believe that Tim and Eric got a second show. I honestly only met one guy who said he liked Tom Goes to the Mayor, but he only saw a couple of shows.
    I have watched Tim and Eric and Saul a couple of times and found them completely humorless.
    I am so ready for whoever is dictating the programs over there to just go away.
    Doesn't G4 need someone else to help them pump more trash on the airwaves?
    (Tech TV and the Video Game Channel merged so they can show reruns of Cheaters?)

Back on the Big O track, is there any word of a third season or OVA to help conclude what the season finale did not?

16. Caterwaul

Caterwaul Busou Shinki Loremaster

Sadly, no. The only reason we got season 2 was because CN helped pony up the funds to make, something they dont seem willing to do for season 3. I'd like to have seen what was going to happen, too.

17. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

OK, so here's my two cents. Listen to the people who said "Batman with a giant robot" is a big part of the show, but not necessarily the whole show. Our hero is (physically) identical to Bruce Wayne, is rich, works with the cops, has a butler...etc.

The mecha battles are fairly entertaining, but it's nothing you haven't seen before. The show has a lot of "filler" (which isn't necessarily a bad thing), but it might be hard to muster up the motivation to watch the next episode.

The main turnoff of this show is that it was written to be more than 2 seasons, but future seasons were never made. Therefore, for better or worse, the 26 episodes in any Big O boxed set only have 2/3 of a show, and the last 1/3 will probably never be made. Imagine only watching seasons 1 and 2 of Lost and trying to make sense of it. The show does have an over-arching mythology, and there is a mystery that is slowly developed. You just have to know that this is literally a show that never finished. You simply don't have enough "pieces" of the puzzle to make heads or tails of the damn ending (or half of the weird stuff that happens).

Imagine you're watching Memento on DVD but your power cuts out and you don't see the last 30 minutes. It's kind of that kind of feeling.

I'd recommend you watch the show if "Batman with a giant robot"-meets-Lost really appeals to you. If nothing else, it'll make you think. The season 1 season finale (episode 13, I believe) has one heck of a neat cliffhanger; if I were you, I'd stop watching the DVD for a few days after episode 13, and let the anticipation build before you watch episode 14, because the show won't be that cool again. It has some above-average animation and music. The English dub is fantastic. But if you set your expectations too high, I can practically guarantee you'll be confused and disappointed in your purchase.

18. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

I love the show

19. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

Well.... Like a lot of people said, it's Batman with a giant robot. Thats the best sentense that can describe it.

It's a very noir anime, with a lot of mystery in each episode. The last episodes are very strange, but I don't think it's impossible to figure out.

I'd say go for it if you like crime solving, conspiracies, and.... giant robots.

20. zell583

zell583 Powerpuff Z da wan!

News Credits:
    and the reason why CN did it was because of the masive ratings season 1 had gotten. rember, a shows ratings determin if it goes on for another season or not. and in the case of big-o, season 2 did not do so well ratings wise. thus no season 3. and that realy sucks too, cause i liked this series as well.