The Big Fat Transformers Continuity Listing

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by DestronGenerals, Sep 19, 2007.

1. DestronGenerals

DestronGenerals Well-Known Member

So I've been watching Headmasters (thanks TV-N) and all the differences between HM and Rebirth and all the other continuities (I also picked up the Target: 2006 TPB and that didn't help either). So, inspired by the Titan reprint list in the comic fourm, I took a minute just now to come up with TF Continuity Listing. It's pretty basic but I figured that everyone could add or correct where necessary because I'm not even sure about a lot of it.

Some notes before we get started:
    Major Continuities are Bold and Underlined
    Variations or Subcatergories are Bold

I have not read and TF novels published and therefore have no idea how they fit in anywhere. I'm only guessing.

IDW Animated Movie adaption was left out because it is basically the same as the Movie, while Marvel's adaption is slightly different.

Personally, eventhough the Classics line has been featured in the Convention comics, I don't like to think of them that way. I have them listed in the Convention comic slot.

TF:3D and UK G2 Comics are there for completeness sake, eventhough from what I've read about them, they're not worth much consideration.

I don't think it is known yet whether or not IDW Beast Wars series contradict anything that happens in BWII or BWN because if I didn't I wouldn't hesitate to add BWII and BWN to USG1 canon. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I've mentally lost track of all the GI Joe/TF Crossovers. I think all the DD one's are continuous with eachother. Don't remember if the DW ones are, or not.

I know of the G1 UK Toys that didn't make it to the US that include Skyquake (I think) and others, I don't know where they fit.

Here it goes:

Transformers
    G1/BW/IDWBW/BM
    JG1/JG2/BW/BWII/BWN/BWM/BWR
    Marvel G1/G2 (US)
    Marvel G1/G2 (UK)
    DW-Verse (WW1/2/3/Micromasters/G1Vol.1/2/3/MTMTE)
    IDW-Verse (Infil/Strmbrngr/Escal/Devas/Spotlight/NATF)

Car Robots/Robots In Disguise
    Car Robots
    Robots In Disguise

AEC/MSG
    Unicron Trilogy (Armada,Energon,Cybertron)
    DW-Verse Armada/Energon
    Panini Armada Comics
    Micron Legend/Superlink
    Galaxy Force

Transformers The Movie
    Movie
    Prequel/Adaption Comic
    Prequel Novel

Transformers Animated

Miscellaneous

TF3D
    UKG2
    TFTM Marvel Adaption
    DW TF/GI Joe 1
    DW TF/GI Joe 2
    DW TF/GI Joe 3
    DD GI Joe/TF 1/2/3
    TF Expanded Universe/Timelines (Exclusives/Cybertron/Classics/Dinobots/Wreckers/etc.)
    Machine Wars
    TF Universe (Toys/Repaints/etc.)
    Robot Masters
    BT/ALT
    TF Novels
    Armada: Linkage
    Optimus vs. Malignus
    Micromaster Collection

Last edited: Sep 20, 2007
  2. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
  3. NeilJam

NeilJam Resident Audiophile

News Credits:
    The Marvel GI Joe/Transformers crossover was part of the Marvel G1 comics continuity (though it was ignored in the Marvel GI Joe comics)

4. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    beast wars also follows the G2 comic. The Vok are the Swarm.

5. DestronGenerals

That chart is really nicely done and helpful, personally I don't like the use of the grey lines (ie BT->Movie->UK Comic) and the neglect of ML/SL and GF as different continuities than the Unicron Trilogy, but for all intents and purposes it works.

I'm confused as to how it has the Marvel comic set up. I was under the impression that the UK comics fell into the same continuity as the US Marvel comic, only with more meat inbetween a lot of the stories (so there should be an arrow directly from US G1 to UK G1 and arrows from UK G1 to UK and US G2).

Also can anyone enlighten me as to what Optimus vs. Malignus and Micromaster Collection are?

The TakaraTomy one looks really cool but I can only guess one some of those as to what series they are.

I never knew that. I guess in a lot of respects the BW show should only follow the comics (according to the origin stories) but I'm pretty sure it's accepted at following the G1 show as well

6. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    ^ Wasn't the Vok actually being the Swarm something that one of the writers mentioned at a Botcon panel or something? I don't think it's even hinted at during the series, so I don't know whether to treat it as canon myself...

7. Nevermore

News Credits:
    According to Takara, Galaxy Force is now a continuation of Superlink, regardless of what they said earlier (Takara: "look, we changed our mind, 'kay?").

But then, Takara also once claimed that the new Michael Bay movie is a continuation of Japanese G2, which is a continuation of Battlestars, which is a continuation of Zone, which is a continuation of Victory, which is a continuation of Masterforce, which is a continuation of Headmasters, which takes place in the year 2011 or so. :rolleyes2 

The UK continuity incorporates all of Marvel US G1 excet for the TF/G.I. Joe crossover. But the US comic doesn't include the UK stories.

Optimus vs. Malignus is an extremely bizarre South American re-release of the 1984 Minibots (minus Huffer, but including Bumper) in new colors, and split up into the factions "Optimus" and "Malignus".

Micromaster Collection was a 2002-2003 series of Japanese exclusive reissues of the Micromaster combiners (the same which later came out as KB Toys exclusives in the US), with new bios.

8. DestronGenerals

Thanks for the info Nevermore! the bit about GF being a continuation of Superlink is kind of a bummer to me, I liked ML/SL being a separate entity from GF. And I thought Takara had their head on straight when it came to logical continuity. Oh well, I can still pretend.

In my book, If the UK comic has all the content from both worlds (minus a terrible GI Joe Crossover) and US comic is exclusive itself I would always consider it as one continuity... more is always better. I'll make the changes anyway though for the sake of being correct.

9. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    Beast Wars makes a few references to the G1 movie, but it's otherwise a direct continuation of the Marvel comic.

Beast Machines, on the other hand, ignores the comic entirely and makes tons of references to the cartoon.

I'm pretty sure the two shows are set in alternate universes. In the beast wars that beast machines follows, Rhinox was more deeply effected by the events of "Dark Designs," and Rattrap never learned to stop ducking his responsibilities and take command. Silverbolt and Blackarachnia hooked up for real, and in the end, Megatron won.

10. Kickback

Kickback @GeekWithChris Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    I believe Beast Wars was always meant to follow the G1 cartoon continuity (Starscream's Ghost, the Ark and the crashed Transformers, the Decepticon ship Nemesis being in the water, all events that are taken more from cartoon than comic), but the writers used a lot of things from the Marvel comics.

The Vok were never *CONFIRMED* as the Swarm, though it was heading that way and even if the writers were like "Yeah, totally!" ... then they screwed up a bit, because continuity in the show says cartoon, and continuity from their end of stuff they never did said comic.

Seeing how Beast Machines, a direct sequel from Beast Wars, is obviously based on G1 cartoon continuity, I think you have to consider Beast Wars official G1 continuity (cartoon wise) as well.

I mean ... Starscream's spark was indestructable in the comic, the fool died by the Underbase, his remains were found by the Micromasters who then was rebuilt by Megatron into Pretender Starscream. His ghost, however, which is what was shown in Beast Wars, is direct relation to the cartoon counterpart.

11. Nevermore

News Credits:
    The Nemesis was never shown in the water in the cartoon.

The Ark and the crashed Transformers were also in the comic. Hell, the names "Ark" and "Mount St. Hillary" were both ONLY used in the comic.

And if you ever read the foreword to Titan's "Matrix Quest" collection, Bob Forward officially confirms that he and Larry (accidentally) merged the cartoon and the comic universe when they used the name "Primus".

"Based on" doesn't automatically equal "same as".