The Big Bad Toy Store New/Restocked/Shipped/Preorder Items Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by UnicronFTW, Aug 5, 2011.

1. StellarJet

StellarJet Seeker

News Credits:
    I agree that they could have AT LEAST introduced some changes to the figures in order to make them more appealing to completist collectors. Changes in the box are simply not enough...
    Being the exact same figure, I wonder if BBTS (and other US stores) need to increase the price just to compensate for 'importation' taxes of some sort [?]. But again, that increase just doesn't make it worth it if the figures are identical...
    I could go for it if the set included some extra accessories, for instance...:rolleyes: 

2. SelectedLime375

SelectedLime375 Luna1 Matrix Magic

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Planet X's Fall of Cybertron Megatron is in stock.

3. TheDecepticon

TheDecepticon Resident Asshole

News Credits:
    accessories dont do anything for me. All of em for every figure I own are collecting dust in a box. I need something I can appreciate visually in each figure

4. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    They're probably ordering less and dropping to a different discount tier. Do you see anybody jumping for joy over the unification? Because I sure don't. At best, there's a smug sense of satisfaction from some Hasbro fans that nobody will have a choice now.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Johntimus Prime

Johntimus Prime Singlehandedly keeping Toyhax in business

News Credits:
    Is it possible stuff like JP-exclusive CHUG molds like Blast Off/Strafe, Godbomber and Groove hurt them financially at all? It couldn't have been cheap to make those, and Godbomber didn't get retooled or repainted.

Might also explain the price hike on Sunstreaker and the almost unprecedented high cost of Dinobot. Sunstreaker is a beautiful figure and worth the extra scratch, but it's a bit of sticker shock when you're used to $75-$80 for MP cars.

6. deusxanime

deusxanime Well-Known Member

I ordered my Sunstreaker direct from Amazon.co.jp and it was $85 shipped. Much more reasonable than BBTS's crazy price!

Are they ever going to get Jet Commander (OS KO Superion) in? Everyone has been getting theirs for a month plus in the thread and here I sit with a preorder from BBTS twiddling my thumbs waiting for it to drop so I can ship my PoL.

7. RKillian

News Credits:
    Groove and his retool both got used in both markets. Ginrai's retooling made it to a box set here as well. Godbomber was supposed to be in another box set until Hasbro bungled those (or US collectors talked and talked instead of spending, depending on your POV).

The thing about tooling is that it's only really expensive at low volumes. But to get out of low volume land, you need more money than the average person has spend. Sort of like articles on how expensive it is to be poor. I tried to have a toy made a few years back and the bottom rungs of that ladder just aren't there. These shops won't touch anything independent for less than 50% off and you can't get that target price without a half a million (or more) invested. And that was before everybody waiting for Ollies clearance sales was a thing. But the sheer volume of cheap unwanted shit flooding the market (EE is a serial garbage peddler but more is infecting shops that used to be above peddling garbage). is proof that past a certain threshold it costs practically nothing to produce any of this stuff.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  8. Calabask

Calabask Waspinator Cultist

News Credits:
    I think part of the problem is that Toy Shows and online retailers, are all marketing to the same group. If you're a collector, you're likely looking for specific figures and are ready to preorder ASAP. Those who don't, stalk stores which are also stalked by resellers. Meaning the secondary market goes to ebay. By the time you get to a convention, I imagine for most people, and this is me talking out of my ass here as I have never measured this because I wouldn't know how, most of the people there are collectors or resellers so the target group for certain figures is much smaller. It's anyone who didn't buy it, or couldn't get it off Ebay, and that's a small number. I also think production runs on toys are smaller these days as you rarely see many cases get to many stores(At least going by my own observations of my area.)., which makes the pool smaller yet.

9. Johntimus Prime

News Credits:
    Sure, most of the formerly exclusive Deluxe molds made it here, but there are also minor things Takara did for Japanese releases like Targetmasters. And apparently collectors determine releases to an extent as several LG reissues never made it because there weren't enough preorders (I am assuming Takara includes both foreign and domestic numbers) to justify them.

With all that in mind, what do you think accounts for things like Sunstreaker's price hike over "standard" MP car bots?

10. atomD21

atomD21 Well-Known Member

The jump for Sunstreaker is partly due to increased parts count, increasing popularity of the MP line, and a bit of "Let's see how high is too high for pricing!" Think of MP Dinobot. $250? Thinking they might be overestimating his popularity...

11. Johntimus Prime

News Credits:
  12. Flash1087

Flash1087 Department of False Hope

Ebay:
    I was literally just thinking about how it weird it was I didn't own any Robotech toys...

13. mcart

mcart I'm not fat, it's Prime Armor

News Credits:
    1/72, how does that scale with Transformers? Thanks!

14. Steelfire

Steelfire Well-Known Member

Looks to be about Voyager size in this case.

15. mcart

mcart I'm not fat, it's Prime Armor

News Credits:
    Thanks, @Steelfire too small for me then.

16. RKillian

News Credits:
    Lack of reusability.
    Parts count and paint.
    Useless "value add" accessories.
    More buffer to soak collectors that don't buy KOs to cover for those that do.
    Buffer to cover lower return on Trailbreaker/Hoist relative to production costs (supposedly BT Trailbreaker ended up BT Convoy because Japanese wouldn't buy a truck otherwise).

17. Johntimus Prime

News Credits:
    Is SunSurge possibly a factor? I know some people aren't the type to replace a 3P just because the real deal happened, so they have to have lost some potential sales there.

Also, "useless"? I'll have you know Chip Chase is perhaps the greatest G1 character, as detailed on my blog!

Joking aside, there is one reuse for Sunstreaker, and that's the red Diaclone color scheme.

18. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Don’t forget the police Sunstreaker too.

19. RKillian

News Credits:
    Difference is, red Sunstreaker and police Sunstreaker aren't characters like Red Alert, Bluestreak, Smokescreen, etc. They've got a poor record lately on those retroactive G1 characters like Road Rage and Delta Magnus. I think if they had any confidence in Sunstreaker redecos, the price jump would've been smaller. They don't so it's not. I'll be surprised if they do either, let alone both. The others were a tough enough sell at half the price. I know everybody's super excited over Sunstreaker now but this fandom was fixated on Trailbreaker of all characters leading up to his T30 release for no other reason than he was the last 1984 car left unupdated.

I've never been a fan of included accessories like they've been doing lately. They get shoved in a box and forgotten about. It's like when a Figuarts comes with 12 sets of hands or a furious, angry, annoyed, and mildly uncomfortable faces. Clear ploy to squeeze more money out for stuff I don't want and wouldn't pay for otherwise. Now they've got the prices up so high I actually resent the figure being held hostage like that. Because the blame if sales are poor always falls on "dur hur kids don't like dinosaurs anymore" and not the extra 50% pricejack that accompanied 6 waving hands, a soiled rag, a poorly painted stand, and a sheet of cheap stickers.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  20. Johntimus Prime

News Credits:
    @RKillian: I agree, as someone who grabs the occasional Figma or MAFEX. I like my Tracer Figma, but does she NEED five sets of hands when the ones I care about are the ones that hold her guns?

I'd argue MPs and their $75+ price can be justified a bit more on the basis of them having two different forms - my aforementioned Tracer is $70 and she's six inch scale. But yeah, did anyone really care to have a mask from Hoist Goes Hollywood included with MP-39? It's cute for five seconds. Shit, the Vanette mold came with tons of extras and is taller than standard cars and didn't cost that much more. I love MPs, but I question some business choices they make.