the better half

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by transfan_seek, Apr 21, 2008.

1. transfan_seek

transfan_seek Well-Known Member

there was a thread i saw a couple of days ago about girlfriends that made their guys get rid of or cut down their collection

well what if your missus is fine with the fact that you are a collector,
    but
    everytime you get in a fight the first thing she brings up is the tf's
    mine has made threats to throw them all away while im not home
    or even just give them away
    its the only time i HAVE to lash back as the tf's i have each have a story about how i got them (decesed relatives , birthdays etc)

is any one else in this boat?

(the situation is not that bad i just wanted to put this out there as i love these boards and have a tremendous amount of respect for you all)

2. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    no, never happened to me...and hopefully never will...and if your girl is threatening to throw them away when you're not home, thats something more serious going on...

why does she say that? do you buy TF's instead of food? instead of paying the rent? instead of maybe buying her the new pair of shoes she wants? you gotta make sure to take care of the girl, as well as yourself...and i'm not saying you're doing any of that, just asking...

but yeah, not sure what to tell you...

3. transfan_seek

yeah see i thought that aswell but nope she gets almost everything she wants (as not to spoil her ) but asides from that meh
    shes just using it as a threat because she knows it gets to me
    its the thing that gets to me more then other stuff
    im responsible with money in terms of rent etc so that aint it either
    just wanted to hear about peoples simular experiences
    if there are any
    of if my chick is just pushy:banghead: 

4. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    You have to stand your ground, if she knows she can ge whatever she wants from you when she brings the tf threats hen she will continue to use them.

5. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

Nope never had that happen. But I have a room dedicated to my TF collecting and I have the only key to unlock the door.

6. bouncing boy77

bouncing boy77 Syntax Error

co-sign, although it has never been an issue with my wife, and i dont think it will be. both of us have jobs, and i do my best to provide for us.

7. Velcrohead

Velcrohead Banned

If she's your girlfriend, she needs to be an EX-girlfriend, for a variety of reasons. If she's your wife, then you probably should put her first, but you two really need to talk about this.

Also, the fact that she brings it up first thing in a fight is sort of symptomatic of the fact that she's actually really not all that cool with you being a collector.

Then again, if the reason she's arguing with you is that you spend more money on Transformers than on her, or on the bills, then she may have a valid point. However, if you're making ends meet and are comfortable enough to spend a little on the side, why should it be a big deal?

In any case, next time she threatens you with tossing out your Transformers, don't get all upset or anything. Just calmly tell her that if you find the Transformers gone then whatever it is that she collects will follow them right out the door. (Shoes, purses, glass bears, whatever--in my wife's case, it would be stuffed kittens.) Turnabout is fair play, after all. And if she follows through and throws them out, you follow through too. (But please give her my address first, so she can give them all to me.)

8. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

Nope, I can't say I have.

My girlfriend and I (one major issue that only time will resolve is holding back the move to fiancee - but that's not an appropriate topic for this board, really) miraculously don't argue about money - if there's any issue with it, we're miraculously good about communicating and working it out.

She's very supportive of my collecting, and I do put important things first... but she realizes it's something important to me, but she understands the collecting bug, too - she collects pens. ;) 

9. Backstop

Backstop Have you seen my box art?

News Credits:
    real woman want there men to have tfs lol....

10. Socialvegetable

Socialvegetable Wrecker

News Credits:
    My fiancee encouraged me to drop $500 on a Predaking because she knew it'd make me happy...on top of a huge tf shopping spree. I'm one of the lucky ones.

Though I will say that my collection monopolizes our bookshelves and I have 4 display cases worth of toys, so sometimes she gets upset that there itsn't more room for her stuff (she's a knitter and a teacher, so she has a shit ton of yarn and books) I bought her 2 shelving systems for her stuff, but the issue is really that we need a house, and not a 1 br apartment.

Sorry to hear about your troubles man. If she cares about you, she should respect what makes you happy and not hold it over your head like a scorning parent, if you're being reasonable, that is.

11. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Depends what the fight is about man. If you are stickin it to her sister, spending rent/food money on toys, or just all around being an asshole, maybe you deserve it. I don't know the situation so I can't really say.

IMO it sounds like she feels like you value your toys more than her, and that is why she threatens them. Kind of like how people threaten to "beat the shit out of" someone they think their significant other is cheating with.

Good luck man:) 

12. transfan_seek

thanks for all the kind words guys it all put i smile on my face

the situation is hard to explain but i must admit i never took it too seriously heres the thing she supports and then dosent depends on what day it is and what mood shes in kinda sucks but 9/10 shell encourage me to splash some cash on these little bots.
    im only now catching up on the movie line :( 
    im in australia so they are still around

this was just something i wanted all of your opinons on
    so thank you all heaps for all the advice

things are good with us i just sometimes put my foot in my mouth:dunce 

13. Deviant Anomaly

Deviant Anomaly Obsotted Fangirl

It sounds like your girlfriend isn't feeling insecure or neglected, but has a spiteful temper. Since she's only threatening your collection during arguments, then she's intentionally doing it to hurt you. Its an anger management issue and I would talk with her about it. Otherwise you're always going to be worried about the safety of all your property.

14. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    you know, next time she threatens to throw out your toys, say go ahead...this will show her that she and the situation mean more then your toys...most of the time that's all the significant other needs to hear...i was thinking about this, and a while ago my wife did something similiar, and she grabbed a comic and was gonna tear it in half...and i said go for it...and it caught her so off guard...i think she really expected me to freak out about it, but by not, she and i just talked and worked it out...

15. Geminii

Geminii Toyetic multiformophile

I must have lucked out; I figure I'll never have a problem as long as her collections take up more space than mine do :) 

16. CrackerBoy

CrackerBoy SeƱor Member TFW2005 Supporter

my girlfriend is a neat freak and sees them as dust collectors.

17. Rijie78

Rijie78 Vinyl junkie.

News Credits:
    Hm, sounds like a bit of a random spite thing, and as you don't really come across as some loon who values toys over all else then it's hard to see the issue really. Hope the situation passes dude:( 

My TF "collection" is very small (MPs & a few BTs, pretty much - not least since I sold bits n pieces to help out with some of thhe tighter months), but my girlfriend totally understands why I think "the robots" are cool. Also, I have a room completely filled with records, which kind of puts the TF thing in the shade - but she's cool with that too. Bottom line is, if you're into something, that's part of what makes you, you, after all!