The Better Buy?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Blunticon, Sep 24, 2006.

1. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

So which do you think is the better buy? The X-Box 360 or PS3? Both have there ups and downs, and im interested in buying either one of them but cant really decide. Do you think the price of the X-Box 360 will go down or will they have to compete with the PS3 which is pretty obvious but you never can tell what the gameing gods will do.

2. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    Here we go again. It really all depends on the end user. There are so many variables nobody can say one way or the other except the person considering the purchase. I would rather have the PS3, but that's just me.

Good!

3. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

From my experience with the 360 and the ease of use with Live I'd say the 360.

Now of course I haven't played the PS3 but Sony hasn't really shown me why I should get one or even announced their online plans with us being two months away from launch. Also their supposed in-development-for-years tilt controller isn't even made available on the dev kits.

I just don't trust Sony much after having the whole E3 crap two years ago and their track record is as bad if not worse with console failure.

BAD!

4. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

That's bullshit.

5. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

Honestly I would go with the PS3. It's gonna have the largest library with so much variety you'll be sure to find tons of games you love. I'm not a sony fan boy either hell I have never ever owned a sony console before (Genesis to Saturn to Dreamcast to X-BOX)

Good! and BAD!

6. Jesus

Jesus Destroyer of Scudsy

360. Sony has done nothing but disappoint as of late and their game catalogue is nothing but slim pickings from what i've seen. All the games I actually want, are coming to the 360 with the possible exception of Lair.

BAD!

7. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

Right now the 360, though I would hold off, as I would expect there to be a price drop after the holidays.

Currently the 360 has some solid games and costs dramatically less than the PS3. The PS3 is already highly priced- especially if you are not interested in BluRay right now- and won't have any real killer aps for some time. Even then, it's questionable how many will remain exclusive to Sony (see GTA).

Good!

8. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

It's just much too early to tell. Sony has been stumbling in public opinion for months, but Microsoft hasn't really done anything to seize on that yet, and they REALLY need to. 10 years ago, something similar was happening to Nintendo, and the new guy Sony recognized that and went for the jugular, nabbing Final Fantasy VII and almost single handedly turning the tide in one fell swoop. MS hasn't made that kind of move against Sony yet, and I'm hesitant to think that they will.

Indifferent.

9. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

Thx fellas, ive just been trying to do some comparing. Read the magazines, blah, blah, just trying to get some good feedback. As a avid gamer Its hard to make a choice, I really wish they could insure the Final Fantasy sereis on the xbox. But they booth look promising..

10. BigPrime3000

BigPrime3000 Well-Known Member

I'd go for the 360, Halo 3 is gonna be killer.

I don't know why people expect a price drop after the holidays though, I've heard a lot of rumors about that with no facts to back it up. I can't really remember any good console dropping in price after just 1 year, so I don't see why people are thinking it's gonna happen now.

11. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

i'll go with the PS3....might take me a few years til i get one

and i'm sure i'll never get a 360 (or a 720, Next-Box, etc)....i'd rather pick up a game for the PS2/PS3 than the XB/XB360...and there aint any exclusive for the XBs that i like.

and bring the FF series over to the Wii...where it should be.

12. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

The more people that buy the Wii, the more likely it is that will happen.

13. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    As things sit the only next gen system I am even considering is the Wii. I'll wait a few months to see how the Library turns out but so far the 360 has not impressed me, and the things I see from the PS3 are not thrilling me, but after a few months that might change, however the mamoth price is a hard turn off to overcome

14. JinraiPrime

JinraiPrime 1000+ Post Club Member

WTF im an Xbox fanboy but ill tell you MGS4 literally made a Hulk-esque boner jump out of my pants... the game looks AMAZING fucking ridiculous. PS3's high price coupled with its shitty online ability and crappy ass wii rip-off controller makes me not want to get it, MGS4 makes me want to get it... but i wont for one game. I will however, because i have the money to do so and i havent missed a system to date. I <3 Xbox 360 Xbox Live..... its so beautiful *sniff*

15. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Asking a question like this is way too early. The 360 is out and is still getting established. PS3 isnt even out, and there are still things we dont know about it. As far as Im concerned, every "next gen" console sorta sucks. The Xbox 360 has no innovation outside of an amped up Live, has HD yet no next gen storage medium for all the HD textures and sound and everything, and no onbord storage for gamesaves and all. The PS3 has a huge price tag with a Wii ripoff controller, no rumble feature, and what is looking like a lackluster online experience. And the Wii has all the inovation, but no HD graphics and an unknown online experience.

That being said, the only one Im betting as the best game machiene is the Wii. Simply because it might be really fun, and provides a new experience outside of the realm of graphics.

As for the 360/PS3 battle between which is better. I honestly dont know yet. If I was sure about the 360, I would have bought it already. If I thought the PS3 is going to be the sure thing, I would be camping out to get one. As for games I really really want; PS3 has Warhawk and MGS4, while 360 has Dead Rising and Gears of War. Wii still leads the pack here with Zelda, Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, Red Steel, and Super Smash Bros Brawl.

If you want a real answer to this question, ask at this time next year.

16. ambushbug74

ambushbug74 Stroke me, Stroke me! TFW2005 Supporter

Tiger's Game.com FTW

17. CripNite

CripNite That Whack Canuck Dude

*cough*Wii*cough*

Seriously though, PS3 is a better deal. Blu Ray Player. Even if you don't use it, those things alone are going for about a grand.

18. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

This is a huge misconception among gamers that needs to be cleared up. New tech drops in price FAST. Early adopters will pay whatever you ask, but the amount of people who will drop a grand on a movie player with a miniscule selection of titles is limited, and the manufacturers know that. While the first Blu Ray players did indeed retail for $1000, it's already easy to find them brand new for about $700 just a couple of months after launch. It's very probable that they will have dropped to $600 or less by the time the PS3 comes out, and will likely dip down into the $400-500 level, maybe even lower, sometime in the first half of next year. At launch, Blu Ray players should be priced comparably to both models of PS3. By the time PS3s are actually available at retail in any real quantities (i.e., you can just walk into a store and expect one to be on the shelf), a stand alone Blu Ray player will be quite a bit cheaper than the PS3.

19. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

But a Blu Ray player is not a games console too.

20. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

^Too True