The best way to bring back Ben Rielly?

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Shipwreck, Sep 24, 2006.

1. Shipwreck

Shipwreck Will smack your bitch

Stemming from the Civil War 4 thread, which I didn't want to detail from the topic anymore I was just wondering what everyone around here feels would be the best route to ever bring back the Scarlet Spider. Since we have all the returns of people like Jason Todd and Bucky I was wonder what sort of way would you like to see the character brought back that just wouldn't seem extremely lame.

2. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Bring him back in a "What If?" story, or Exiles. Just don't reintroduce him in the regular Marvel U.

3. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    They cloned Thor when the real deal couldn’t be had, bring back Ben when Peter finally jumps ship to Caps side.

4. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    (1) I'm expecting reality alterations to be made at some point down the line to clear up all the mess from Civil War, so they could just slip in "Ben Reilly's alive/didn't die now" into that or
    (2) Due to the reality manipulation during the House of M storyline, Ben Reilly was inadvertantly resurrected. Since that time, Ben's returned to wandering the country to avoid complicating Peter's life further, but returns to help 'undo' the revelation of Spider-Man's secret identity or
    (3) SHIELD/Tony Stark/whoever had collected the remains of Ben Reilly after his death back in Spider-Man #75. Using a combination of these remains, Peter Parker's DNA and the process used to make the Thor clone, a new clone of Spider-Man is produced with Ben Reilly's memories or
    (4) Norman Osborn had a third, imperfect clone made of Peter Parker and implanted Ben Reilly's memories into this clone. At some point near the end of the Clone Saga, he switched Reilly with the 'new' clone (my memory is a little fuzzy, but I seem to recall some point in the final battle where Ben and Norman were alone off-panel and a switch could have been made). The 'new' clone is the one that died and degenerated, while the real Ben Reilly is still alive...somewhere.

5. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

“I’m....I’m alive?”
    That shouldn’t have been possible. He was stabbed, quite literally in the back, and fell.
    From 20 stories up. Onto a taxi cab.
    “And I think I melted....”
    He couldn’t remember anything else after that. He just knew he woke up naked and in a
    basement. The quest for clothing allowed him to learn that he was in the building he had fallen
    from. A newspaper told him the date. He’d been out for a few years apparently.
    “And Pete’s an Avenger. Sure, we’ll go with that. What the hell else have I missed?”
    His hand reached around and rubbed his back. He could still feel it. The metal spikes
    impaling him, ripping through his flesh and bone. It’d hurt like a bitch, but he’d do it again.
    Without hesitation.
    “But what now? Do I go see them..?”
    Another phantom pain, this one a sting across his cheek. It told him that may not be the
    best course of action. But what other choice did he have?
    Quietly, he opened a window, and finding the coast to be clear, he began scaling the wall,
    soon coming to the roof. Looking over the city, he tried to gather his thoughts.
    “I’m back. It’s been a while but I’m back. No idea how or why, or what’s even been
    going on since I....left. I want to go back, see Pete and MJ again, but can I? I mean, it’s the
    natural response, I want to go home, but that was never really home, was it? Never really life.
    The world doesn’t need two Peter Parkers....”
    He then leapt from that building to the next. Flipping and bouncing off the walls, he made
    his way across the skyline of Manhattan.
    “But maybe it has room for a Ben Reilly.”

:confused2 

6. King Starscream

King Starscream <b><font color=blue>The Royal Seeker</font></b> Veteran

News Credits:
    Just have Superboy Prime punch reality some more. It solves all problems.

7. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

I think Exiles could do it. If just for a few issues.

8. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

I would rather the clone saga stay dead and buried, except for the Ultimate version. I'm enjoying that so far.

9. JD

JD Well-Known Member

F*CK YES! Ben Reily must return.....FOREVER!!!!

10. Enigma2K2

Enigma2K2 Robot In Disguise TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I'm thinking something altogether more disturbing... since "outing" himself, Peter's life has become more complicated... I'm afraid that "Ben" will be his way of faking his death and starting with a clean slate.

11. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

The best way would be to go back in time to 1994 and try again.

The most likely scenario is some reality altering HoM fallout mumbo jumbo.

12. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    House of M was just an excuse to fuck up Marvel continuity some more.

13. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

Just like Infinite Crisis and DC

14. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

let Exiles bring a Ben Reiley over to the Original Universe and leave him behind like they did Nocturne.

BEN REILEY FTW!

15. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

Well I’ve had this idea kicking around for a while between me and a few friends, this is the basic story we have so far, Ben either survived as a prisoner of Osborn and was having weird ass experiments conducted on him or Osborne took some of Ben’s DNA when he was fighting him before he died and used that and either cos of the experiments or the fact it’s a clone of a clone or both he became faulty, more spider DNA became dominate and Ben becomes a sort of man spider that Osborn was going to use as a weapon against Spider Man. This didn’t quite pan out as enough of Ben’s mind remained to rebel against Osborn and escape in his mutated state, goes under ground, tries to work out what’s happened to him, you end up getting all that as back story later on.

Ben ends up first being chased by peter cos he thinks it’s a monster or some thing, then helping and saving peter and some kind of reunion seen when the man spider scratch’s BEN into a wall or some thing. Ben/man spiders comes to surface, some one’s him and scream and run off in terror, Ben can’t deal with that as his mind really isn’t all back yet so he run’s off again and every now you have Peter looking for him.

At this point Eddie Brock should be venom again, still dying but out for one last fight, some thing big he found out about involving Osborn, Eddie sees it as has last act of redemption stopping Osborn but Osborn has help and Venom cos of Eddie’s illness is getting weaker so he goes to the one person he can trust to help him here, Peter Parker. So the Venom Spiderman team up gets to work they stop at least one part of Osborn’s plan but they have really only delayed it, so Osborn does the typical super villain thing, forms a group super villains/super thugs to take out Spider man and Venom, also he has either MJ or some woman from Eddie’s life kidnapped.

Eddie’s degenerating fast and Peter saves him more than once, Peter then comes up with a way to stop Osborn’s plan totally and save the girl, they manage this together but are being chased down as they escape, venom is slowed down by Eddie’s illness and Spiderman is but the fact he’s carrying the girl but not as much as venom, venom then turn’s back to face there attackers, it would go some thing like this:

Venom: parker go on, these weaklings will be dealt with. *Venom turns back to face the on coming attackers*
    Spiderman: Brock no, you’ll
    Venom: Brock has already left us, I will finish this for him.
    Spiderman: symbiant? How can you be with out Brock?
    Venom: we felt Eddie’s passing, felt his life, his peace, we will be one again soon, now go parker, this will be finished alone

Spiderman goes off to carry the girl to safety, venom goes sick on there attackers, kill and maims quite a few, Osborn is missing from the fight though, we see Osborn has gotten ahead on his goblin glider and is about to get the drop on peter when Ben man spider drops on him, knocks him off the glider and proceeds to beat the hell out him, really just toss’ him around like a rag doll. Spiderman sees none of this. Venom is now running out of steam, getting knocked around quite a bit, we see two villain move in for the kill and two pumpkin bombs fly in, the bombs hit each of the villain approaching venom, we see they were fired by Ben/man spider who’s coming in to the fray carry a wreaked goblin glider. Venom collapses and man spider runs to help it, venom looks up and man spider and call’s it parker.

Man spider picks up venom, looking to take it to a hospital or some thing not knowing Brock is already dead, as he’s carrying it venom sees the clock tower where it and Brock first became venom, it points to it and say take us there to man spider.

Man spider lays venom down in the belfry, venom rambles about so much life, so much to feel, to carry on and to pass over, then is silent, man spider can’t hear a hart beat or see it breathing so he thinks its dead, he turns to look out over the city, looking for some kind of help. While his back is turn the spider symbol on venoms chest begins to swell and move, eventually its comes off as large red back and white spider, man spider can not sense this as it like venom is immune to his spider sense, it jumps on his back and merges with him.

Next time we seen man spider he’s looking a lot like venom but with 6 arms and a red webbing effect across the costume, some thing more between carnage and Spiderman web effect, still doesn’t speak, helps Spiderman save some people from a car crash, has a talk with him by again writing on a wall, just says the symbiant is helping him, he can think clearer. Worries peter a lot this as he thinks the symbiant will take over and he’ll have another venom or even worse a carnage on his hands, before he can really talking him around or try to get him to come in for tests Ben takes off.

Ben returns again, costume changed in its look a little and Ben can kid of speak, he still refuses to give up the symbiant, saying it doesn’t want to control him, venom spawned it to help him and to help other people once it had passed on. Peter still doesn’t by it but doesn’t want to fight with Ben either.

A few months later Ben shows up again, this time with only two arms and the costume has changed it self to look like a black and red version of Ben's old red and blue one, he tells peter the symbiant helps him change shape, so he can at least be the shape of a man and even if he can really look like one. Ben helps peter but is a little more violent than peter thinks he should be, the argue but don’t come to blow, Ben then says he’s leaving new York, he’ll go some where else and be do the best he can to prove to peter that the symbiant isn’t so bad and he can be a hero again.

So Ben goes off to L.A. does some good deeds, people think he’s some kind of urban legend or Spiderman on holiday. The Black Cat tracks him down, he tells her his story and she goes back into heroing with him for a while, eventually in a seen that mirrors her first getting peter to unmask she get Ben to pull the symbiant back and revels the extent of the damage Osborn did to him to her. The face he reveals is not spider like at all any more he looks just like peter/Ben as he did before only with long red hair [not natural red we’re talking like autobot symbol red] after going back to NY to get some tests done they find out the symbiant has replaced the corrupted DNA with parts of it self and taken on a lot of the spider DNA Ben had, Ben can never truly be separated from it now. He goes back to L.A. to try and set him self up a normal life for when he’s not out being a hero, he decides to try being a photographer again, thinks maybe like peter did, a few shots of him self saving people would be worth some thing. Black Cat has other idea’s she get him to photograph her for a fashion shoot and then to do some landscape ones, even work on stuff for films, he become very good at it very quickly.

Basically the Ben and the black cat have a on and off romance, he has a well paid job that lets him still go out and save people and becomes a quite well liked hero in L.A. this would also lead to some interesting stuff with Peter, as he would have to deal with the fact his clone is thought of as a better hero than him, has a better paid job and seems to in general be living his life a lot more successfully than he is and he has control of a symbiant which peter never could.

Also you could have the original carnage symbiant escape venoms corps and re merge with Cassidy and him and Ben battle every now and then, carnage would also call Ben brother like he used to call venom dad. You could also have the memories/ghost of Eddie Brock be in the symbiant Ben has as well so him having to deal with him every now and then, possibly not as a villain but more Eddie getting Ben to do things, finishing off stuff from Eddie’s past. I mean there is just so much you could do with this character, keeping him different from Spiderman but still very interesting and in the same style.

16. Altercron

Altercron Well-Known Member

The Clone Saga was actually the only part of Spider-man I enjoyed. Don't look at me like that. IM NOT CRAZY!!!

17. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

Ben reilly was a cool character, but he was really hated back when he died. I was thinking they could do somthing similiar like what they did to aunt may. when she "died"

18. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Yes. The difference being that IC was a fun read and didn't do any major changes, while House of M was five issues of nothing happening surrounded by three issues of real plot, which was really only written to hit the reset button on the Grant Morrison's X-Men run.

19. Caterwaul

Caterwaul Busou Shinki Loremaster

While I'm not particularly fond of the Clone Saga in general, in a roundabout way it led to Spidergirl and the MC2 universe. I like me some Spidergirl, and at least Ben Reilly had some sort of legacy in that continuity.

20. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

Um have you seen martian manhunter, or how about ted kords blue bee.. oh wait. oh yeah, hows about booster go.. nevermind. granted the actual mini didnt do anything to dcu, but the ramifications from that mini have totally ruined the DCU in my opinion.