The Best Updated Universe or Classic mold.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by aprim, Dec 15, 2009.

1. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

I don't get it either, I love the mold. Though, to be honest, Prowl's one of my favorite Autobots to begin with so there's a slight bit of bias.

2. BigRC83

BigRC83 I'm singing in the rain

News Credits:
    Difficult one but I have to say Jetfire followed by Cyclonus.

3. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    I think a lot of it has to do with the doors, how they pop off so easily and the paint located there isn't exactly the most durable we've seen.

Myself, I also don't like like how the arms seem a bit skinny or the fact he looks like he's wearing a neck brace. Yet I have all three versions.

4. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Food Truck or BMW Moderator

News Credits:
    Rodimus and Starscream in my book. Nice fanboy/homage nods to their G1 counterparts in their transformations while taking the toy to today's standards at the same time.

That and Rodimus sports not only his sawblade but also a gun that doubles as a "jetpack." Hellz yeah.

5. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

I said this in another thread- the figure can be transformed properly without popping off the doors. So that's really less an issue of the toy, and more "user error."

And I've personally never had the "sticky paint" issue with any of my figures.

6. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    I can transform him just fine too, but that doesn't mean it isn't an issue. The way they are designed makes them much more likely to pop off than not for the majority of people. The fact that most people do have it as a complaint says more about the figure than it does about them.

This, however, is a widespread and well documented problem, one which I can testify to myself as my Prowl does have really crappy paint on his doors (the stuff seems really thing and horribly applied and tacky), and is definitely a knock against the figure.

Still, was my first Universe figure and I do like the mold.

7. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Known Member?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Prowl's the figure that got me into picking up the Classics line in the first place, so he still stands out the most.

After him, Jetfire (awesome), Cyclonus (I never liked the G1 design until seeing the Classics design), Hot Rod and Powerglide.

8. Terrorcon Blot

Terrorcon Blot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    But Longarm does have Hoist's head. And it's as good of a match (or better!) to his G1 noggin than Classic Sideswipe's was to his own. So whatever.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Back on topic, the answers are Mirage and Hound. Megatron too, and definitely Inferno.

9. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    And if we want to get ubernerd-technicality-picky, Aveo Swerve isn't a "Classics" or "Universe 2.0" release. His instruction manual is branded with the original Universe line logo... the last toy to be released under that banner, if I recall correctly.

A damn fine toy, too... sad we won't see that mold popping up again down the road.

10. _Galvatron_

_Galvatron_ Emperor of Destruction

Cyclonus, easily.

Technically...Voyager Bludgeon is even better still (As he was supposed to be under the Universe banner).

11. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    Cyclonus and Prime.

12. Tm Tarantulas

Tm Tarantulas Herald of Unicron

News Credits:
    says who?

13. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think Bumblebee is a fantastic update. The figure absolutely oozes with Bumblebee's personality, and that cheerful little grin is the icing on the cake.

Now, I'm probably going to get smacked around for this, but I happen to think that Silverbolt is a great update as well. Yes, the Ultra version, with the jet-on-my-back syndrome. In my opinion, Classics 2.0/Universe Silverbolt is a fantastic figure. It has great poseability that's only somewhat hindered by the jet packback. The design of the figure, to me, completely evokes G1 Silverbolt.

Prime is pretty great too, but I'm a nutter for Prime.

14. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Skyfire. No doubt about it.

15. FartRipper67

FartRipper67 Well-Known Member

Galva-*gets shot*

Just kidding.

Personally, Prowl and Hound really stand out to me. Their bot modes just have "that look" that really makes you feel all warm inside.

16. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    Haha. Even if we're discounting movie Bumblebee and his Human Alliance incarnation, that's fiction now that the Alternity exists. You obviously haven't seen the Alternity in-hand, your opinion would change if you had. Oh, and the idiotic jetski thing should really count against the toy more than your post indicates.
    It is bigger, looks better with Alternators and MP Grimlock but fits in with Henkei too. Not so much the Classics due to the lack of/bland paint apps on many of them.
    It's a good $10 mold and I do like it, especially as Bugbite. I'd love to see it remolded into some of the Throttlebots. It's in no way as nice as the Alternity though. It's essentially an unfair comparison, like Universe vs. Binaltech Smokescreen or Classics vs. Masterpiece Grimlock.

This is a Classics/Universe thread though so Alternity BB shouldn't qualify anyway.

17. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

Jetfire is probably my favorite of the whole line. He's big, he's armed to the teeth, and he has a clean robot mode (no kibble).

Cyclonus, Mirage, and the Lambo mold are my other favotites.

18. starsaber888

starsaber888 Well-Known Member

Hound and cyclonus.

19. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

The funny thing about the ROTF Hoist mold is that it's probably a hand swap (and maybe a foot mod) away from being a Classics figure.

20. Sizzle

Sizzle Sparkabot

It's very hard for me to pick the "best" updated Classics Universe figure, because I think that the line, as a whole, is one big hellacious update that I can't get enough of. There wasn't another line before it that I absolutely had to own every single figure. Not even G1. And I've been collecting TFs since the first day, way back in 1984, that I opened up Cliffjumper and Brawn.

So...my favorites, by class:

Ultra: Silverbolt. I could care less that he's carrying a jet on his back. He's an Aerialbot. He can do that.
    Voyager: Optimus Prime. I don't even really need to qualify that.
    Deluxe: Hound, for toon-accuracy and pure love. Mirage is close second.
    Legends: Brawn. Damn but that little robot rules. And since Brawn was one of my first two transformers, he really means something to me.

Now...which of the molds will I constantly buy, no matter how many repaints are issued?

Seeker: I don't care what you name them or how they are colored. I will buy every last one of them, both official and KO. My seeker army could be in the thousands, and I wouldn't care.
    Mirage: Crasher, Drag Strip, bring on some more!
    Prime: Magnus, Nemmy, Crystal... screw it, I need a FLEET.
    Prowl: I love this mold.