The BEST Superhero movies, in your own words.

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by GalvaTRION, Aug 19, 2006.

1. GalvaTRION

GalvaTRION Not one step back.

Complete list of American comic book movies, as far as I'm aware:

Spider-Man
    Spider-Man 2
    Batman (Fox, 1960s)
    Batman (WB, 1980s)
    Batman Returns
    Batman Forever
    Batman and Robin
    Batman: Mask of the Phantasam
    Batman: Sub Zero
    Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman
    Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker
    Superman
    Superman II
    Superman III
    Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
    Supergirl
    Steel
    Hulk
    Daredevil
    X-Men
    X2: Mutants United
    Men In Black
    Men In Black II
    The Mask
    The Crow
    The Crow 2: City of Angels
    The Crow: Stairway to Heaven
    Judge Dredd
    Barb Wire
    Tank Girl
    Dick Tracy
    The Punisher (80's, Dolph Lundgren)
    The Punisher (2004, Thomas Jane)
    Captain America
    Fantastic Four (early nineties, shelved)
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: Secret of the Ooze
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III
    Blade
    Blade 2
    Blade: Trinity
    Spawn
    Catwoman
    Hellboy
    The League of Extraordinary Gentleman
    The Rocketeer
    Flash Gordon
    The Shadow
    Time Cop
    Popeye
    Dennis the Menace
    Dennis the Menace 2
    Richie Rich
    Annie
    Casper
    Casper 2
    Casper 3
    From Hell
    Mystery Men
    The Phantom
    Howard the Duck
    Josie and the Pussycats
    Sheena
    Virus
    Brenda Starr
    Little Nemo: Adventures in Slumberland
    Ghost World
    The Road to Perdition
    Bullet Proof Monk
    Buck Rogers and the 25th Century
    Nick Fury: Agent of S.H.E.I.L.D (David Hasselhof, made for TV)
    Gen X (made for TV, 90's)
    Gen 13 (Animated, shelved)
    Swamp Thing
    Swamp Thing 2
    Dragonball
    Alien VS Predator
    Sin City
    Batman Begins
    Fantastic Four
    Elektra
    Superman Returns
    X-Men 3
    Man-Thing
    V for Vendetta
    Yet another shitty direct to video Crow sequel
    Son of the Mask

Then there's the news on what is soon to come:

*Thor and The Flash are being written by David Goyer, who gets to write super hero movies in the same way that Paul Anderson gets to direct video game movies (poorly).

*Spider-Man 3 is almost done shooting, and will have fucking 4 villains

*Luke Cage is now officially stuck in development hell

*Watchmen is being re written, and will be directed by Zack Snider (or however his name's spelled)

*Wolverine may come out as soon as next year, Fox continues to force people to work faster and shittier

*The Fantastic Four sequel will be about Galactus, and Silver Surfer will be introduced, Fox is once again pushing for the movie to be out in an insanely short time

*Sin City will begin shooting around December, and that's a MAYBE

*Batman Begins sequel will have the Joker... played by... Heath... Leger... why, God?

*Hellboy 2 is at Paramount now, instead of Columbia

*Iron Man will be written and directed by Jon Favereau, and be out in 2008

*Ghost Rider will be out in February, and I thought the trailer was pretty slick. I will see it.

*Hulk 2 will come from Paramount under Marvel's distrobution deal, and the lead actor may change

*The new TMNT movie will be out next year, rated PG, and stick closer to the actual original comics. It will be entirely CGI, made by a company from Thailand called Imagi, and directed by animation veteran Kevin Munroe

*Magneto will have Ian McKellan reprise his roll as his younger self, aided by computer technology.

*Newly mentioned comic adaptations coming soon, adding to my previous list of "comming soon" are Wonder Woman, Frank Miller's 300, and Ant Man, among others, I'm sure.

And that's just scratching the surface on super hero movie news.

So... on to the point. WHAT... and WHY... are your top 10 Super Hero movies?

10. Batman (60s)

You know you love it. Come on. Everyone loves the old Batman show, what with it's stark realism, and Shark-Repellant Bat-Spray. It's basically a big episode of the TV show... and that's great because perfection is hard to top.

9. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Not as good as I remember it, but for what it did... trying to please both the cartoon and comic fans, I think it was pretty successful. I can still watch it and enjoy it, and while it's got some pretty horrible scenes, it also has some damn brilliant ones. The suits were great, the story was mostly taken from the comics, the action was well done, and the gags were, by and most, funny. This is why this was the highest grossing of the films. The other two went full-on cartoon, and it hurt their bottom lines.

8. Blade

Actually better than I remember it. The direction was beautiful, and when Blade just cuts fucking LOOSE at the end, it seriously gets my blood pumping. That fight between Blade and all of those armed guards is so one sided it's embarrassing, and it makes me want to get up and do karate kicks like when I was a kid watching Power Rangers.

This, along with Spawn, started the whole revolution. It has great kick ass action, and the techno-noir film style is just beautiful. This one had the most depth (not that... that means a lot, or anything...), the best music, and some awesome comic book style scenes.

7. Hellboy

So rare does a movie balance CGI and practical effects so perfectly. This is a neo Ray Harryhausen movie if its anything, and Ron Pearlman as Hellboy is such perfect casting. He's always been one of my favorite under used actors. On top of all that, I also believe that this movie was the perfect way to transcribe a comic into a movie. Guilermo worked with Mike Mignola, and worked out what would be changed and how in order to keep the integrity of the story. Instead of trying to direct the entire thing like the comic (and failing half the time... I'm lookin' at you, Sin City), it chose some great iconic panels, and did them perfect in a way that didn't interrupt the flow of the movie. This is the perfect example of how to adapt a comic book.

6. Punisher

Hasn't aged well. The more I watch it, the more the flaws show up, but I still enjoy it enough that I pop it in the DVD player every now and then. What was done wrong was very, very wrong, and what was right is very, very, VERY right. I can also see why a lot of comic fans hate this one. The Punisher was a bit watered down. They tried to make him sympathetic. They messed with the history. Some of the acting was bad. Some of the music was off. There was no blood during the family killing spree. The Hot Topic punisher skull origin was unecissary. So on and so forth. But the movie did succeed in having one of the best fight scenes ever in a movie (Frank versus the Russian), it homaged action films of the past and avoided the matrix style of action scenes used for pretty much everything nowadays. It's like an old action film. And I think that the benefits outweigh the crappy parts (which is something you have to consider in ALL of th Marvel films. Spidey, X men, Blade, are all great marvel films, but have many, many problems).

5. Hulk

I know a lot of comic fans hated this film, and I can completely see why. It takes a LOT of libreties with the character, and if someone did that to a Transformers movie, I'd probably blow a gasket (oh wait...). I don't care much for the Hulk, though, so I just look at it as what the film maker intended... a classic Universal monster movie merged with a greek tragedy.You gotta admit though, they got the look down perfect. He was very complexly built, and there are a lot of scenes where it looks absolutely amazing. Nick Nolte turns in an awesome performance, Sam Neil is great, the fight scenes were raw and brutal (and unlike any other superhero film), and the editing... damn, the way they cut this film was AMAZING. A. FRIGGIN. MAZING. Mesmerizing. The score by Danny Elfman is one of the best and most original he's ever done. And again, more than a superhero movie, this was a revival of the old Universal monster movies (something Van Hellsing failed at completely, and the Mummy movies almost accomplish). If you ignore the comic history, and some of the acting, this is one awesome experience.

I will say, however, that the people who played the younger versions of Sam Neil and Nick Nolte were... atrocious at best.

4. Daredevil Director's Cut

This movie should have made it to theaters. The script was much fuller, the action was great and brutal (though I would argue that it was NOT R rated), the actors largely worked well in their riles (with the exception of Jenifer Garner... ehg). As with all Marvel films, this movie has it's share of problems, but I again, think that the good outweighs the bad.

I don't care what anyone says, Michael Clarke Duncan is the only person who could have played Kingpin. John Favereau was awesome as Foggy. Colin Farrel did a great job as Bullseye. And Ben Affleck is not as bad as people said he was. Name me someone who would have been better for any of these parts.

Hasn't aged well, though, mostly because of the damned music. The music, sweet lord. Aggro Nu Metal, what could be more irritating (emo or country could, actually). Aside from that though, I truely appreciate the director's willingness to look at things from the eyes of a 14 year old and not try to make things make too much sense. One of Batman Begins' problems, I think, is that it tried so hard to make Batman realistic that it just made the more ridiculous elements of Batman as a character stand out. With Daredevil, MSJ said "fuck it, this is ridiculous, let's make it fun." Like a comic book.

3. Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker

Man... you would never expect something so violent. The hilarious thing is that WB wanted this show to be more for kids, and they thought that the futuristic setting would give BS&P less headaches since the weapons would be futuristic. Little did they know... I mean, damn. This took balls.

2. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm

Damn. This was so, so good. They should have advertised this better, and advertised it for adults, dammit. This film is made for adults, because I sure as hell hated it when I was a kid. There's more dialog than action, and the adult themes are handled very, very well, almost like an old crime film from the forties. The animation has some great moments, and Batman gets lucky in a kids cartoon. This should have taken the place of the horrible live action films (and yes, I'm counting the Burton movies).

I find it funny, however, that my top two favorite comic book movies are also the least violent.

1. Superman Returns

I thought about it, and thought about it, and thought about it. I think that Superman Returns really is the best. Any Superhero movie that can lack action the way this one did, and still keep you interested in everything that's happening... I mean, I generally don't care about Superman. I haven't bought a Superman comic since the days of Superman's death and return. This is a tough character to work with, and I think this movie just knocked it out of the park.

I understand the need to see Superman punch something, and that seems to be where a lot of the disappointment about this movie comes from. But look at it this way... Superman doesn't need to punch anyone. You can look at any superhero and underneath it, you can find some facist elements. Superheros basically go around in a costume so they take no public responsibility for their actions, and beat the hell out of people. You can distrust something like that. You can distrust a police officer. You can distrust the President, or the army, so they made him into something that anyone can get behind: A fire fighter.

What the filmakers really got is that Superman is a great character because he's good, pure and simple. How do you make that interesting? You take a character with so much power that he doesn't need to take shit from anyone, and put him in a situation where he can't punch his way out. He could take Lois if he wanted. He could destroy Lois' fiance` witht he flick of a finger. He could (*SPOILER*) take his son if he wanted.(*SPOILER*) But he does the right thing. In the face of death, he went back to stop Luthor. And even though he could have killed Luthor in 2 seconds, someone who deserves it more than most, he doesn't, because that's not what he does.

So, that's how I sees it.

Close but not quite:
    Men in Black, The Rocketeer, Road to Perdition, Blade 2, Spider-Man 1-3, Fantastic Four (the new one), Batman: Sub Zero, Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman, The Crow, X-Men 1&2, Dick Tracy, Superman, Superman 2, and Mystery Men (not much like the comics, but damn funny nonetheless).

Dishonorable mentions:
    Son of the Mask, Elektra, Man-Thing, every Crow sequel, Superman 3&4, 80s Punisher, Alien vs. Predator (yeah, I know that seperately the movies came before the comics, but the fight first happened in comics if you ignore the Alien skull in Predator 2), Nick Fury, Swamp Thing 2, Judge Dredd, Tank Girl, Steel (worst movie I've seen... EVER).

2. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Could not disagree with you more about Superman Returns. Utterly... dull. :( 

3. snkeyes069

snkeyes069 Legend in his own mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Batman Begins should have been at the top of this list...just a class act all the way around. Spiderman 2 a close second.

4. GalvaTRION

Oddly, I depart from a lot of comic book fans on Batman Begins and the Spider-Man movies.

I think the Spider-Man movies are a lot of fun, I've seen both the very second they came to the nice theaters around here (that's an 80 mile round trip for me, by the way) twice, and I bought both DVDs, but for some reason... I get to the point where I just don't care to see them anymore. I think I can count on one hand the times I've watched both DVDs.

As for Batman Begins, I think that one was a real missed opprotunity all around. For everything good it had going it, I had a million gripes on small things that piled up until I just couldn't enjoy the movie. Everyone seems to disagree with me (even Frank frickin' Miller), but I can't stand the new movie, and I don't think that he's been done justice on film apart from the Bruce Timm animated work.

Gaahhh... I'll just go ahead and list the reasons:

*The theatrical Bat-Movies, (even Mask of the Phantasm), share one glaring flaw: In every single frickin' one of them has a Vicky Vale subplot. It is old as old gets, and it's a frickin' cliche` by this point, just like the rubber suits with no necks. Katie Holmes shouldn't have been in the movie. If they removed the romance element and revealing of the secret identity, and made that character Harvey Dent, the movie would have improved by leaps and bounds. It would have done a damn awesome job of setting up Two-Face, making it more clear to the audience how painful it is for Bruce to have to fight his best friend, and established a stronger continuity. As it is, though, we get yet another female character, and one who is at least as annoying as Vicky Vale was in the first movie. To top it off, she looks like she's 20 going on 50, and I have a hard time watching her.

*Then there's the ridiculous amounts of destruction Batman created... destroying a monorail in the middle of a populated area, destroying rooftops and highways... and yet again Bruce is nothing more than a guy who punches people and uses amazing gadgets, instead of a detective.

*I could live with the suit for the most part, but the head was badly designed, with it's frickin' huge cheeks. The belt looked like something he grabbed from Toys R Us. And his cape looked like a felt blanket.

*The fight scenes were disappointing, even though they did get the stealth stuff right.

*As much as I like Micheal Cain, it is obvious that he has a "low" Brittish accent instead of a "high" Brittish accent, and that's not Alfred.

* Merging the Bullock and Flass characters was not only completely unnecissary, it was miss management. Having the characters seperate would have given us a great example of how infested with bad cops the Gotham PD is, and how looks can be decieving (Flass being a clean-cut looking guy who's a complete scumbag, and Bullock being someone who just looks and acts like a scumbag, but is clean as a cop).

* Batman knows Commissioner Gordon for all of ten minutes and decides that he can drive an expensive, complicated, dangerous machine like the Tumbler and sends him off to use missiles to blow up a section of monorail track in an urban area.

* Scarecrow wears lip gloss?

* The first 20 minutes of the movie are choppy editing-wise.

* While the idea was to make Batman "realistic", the fact remains that it just isn't. When the more fantastic elements of the movie come in, it just jives like crazy. When Bruce waxes poetic about "cleaning up the streets of Gotham," I can't help but wince. When he tries to act hardcore in the suit, it comes off as silly. When he jumps from roof to roof... on and on.

* Can't remember the music at all. Of course, the Elfman music is iconic... it frickin' IS Batman. But the new movie, I can't hum anything that was in it. I've seen it over 5 times, and I can't remember any of the music whatsoever.

Not to say that there weren't ANY bright spots whatsoever.

*In spite of the fact that they removed any semblence of Ra's al Ghul's heratage (understandable given the current political situation, but really weak nonetheless), I thought they did a good job on the League of Shadows, and Liam Neeson was possibly the best performance in the whole movie.

*Gotham City actually looked like a real city for once.

*The special effects were well enough done that the only way you could tell if something WASN'T cg is if it's possible to do otherwise.

* Chris Nolan and the DP recorded some beautiful images, and took some great iconic imagery from the comics. The bats flying everywhere, and swarming the police, the huge bat that scared the hell out of Bruce, the 'trip' sequences from the fear gas... beautiful.

* They made a Batman movie that attempted to be more than just popcorn fun, but a real honest to God dramatic movie, which is something that Marvel hasn't even attempted yet.

* It had legs at the box office, which is so damned rare these days.

* No crappy pop music.

I really, really wanted to like it, and I was super psyched all the way up to when I finally got to see it, but in my opinion, it dropped the ball pretty badly. I'll see the next one even though I can't even discribe how mortified I am that Heath frickin' Leger is going to play the Joker. I won't say it's a BAD movie, but I really, really don't like it.

Again, this topic is about personal prefrence. This topic is about YOUR lists. What do YOU think is best, and why. That's why I gave with the huge list of comic books made into movies for refrence at the beginning of the post.

5. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I disagree on a lot of those choices (particularly the rundown on Batman Begins...many of the points strike me as overly nitpicky), but your list is a great rundown and has a few movies I'd forgotten about (although, if "Dennis the Menace" is included, the two recent "Garfield" movies probably should be as well).

My list isn't in any particular order and almost certainly won't get up to 10 films because, TBH, there are very few comic-based movies that I've actually liked. Some of my (main) dishonourable mentions:

- Superman 1 and 2 - On my top ten worst movies I have ever seen. Cheesy even for the time they were produced, terrible acting/dialogue and each easily an hour too long. It's sort of funny watching Superman shoot lasers from his fingers, travel through time or use any number of powers that didn't exist in the comics (and don't make logical sense), but I had a hell of a time sitting through these.
    - X-Men 1 and 2 - My main problems are the huge cast, leaving little time to develop anyone (except Wolverine) and the "Wolverine and Friends" atmosphere. The first movie felt like it should have been the first 1.5 hours of a longer movie and the ending seemed too abrupt. The second...just dragged for me, especially near the end. I enjoyed the third film a lot more than either of these two (though it's by no means a great show either).
    - Spider-Man 1 and 2 - I really liked these when I first saw them in the theatres and even bought the DVDs...but when I tried to watch through them again, I had to stop halfway through the first one. The effects are incredible and both have good stories (despite some science nitpicks in the second), but Peter Parker was whiny and irritating and the Mary Jane-related drama wore thin for me very quickly; I'm seriously hoping they kill MJ in the third film.
    - Fantastic Four (2005) - Terrible acting (especially from Alba), bad writing, questionable special effects and a lame plot. Basically, nothing worked.
    - Hellboy - Would have made my top ten list if not for the anti-climactic ending. Great movie otherwise.

Anyway, enough criticism...my favorites:

Road to Perdition - Been awhile since I've seen this one, but I liked it a lot. Generally good action and an engaging story. Some parts were a little predictable (I saw the ending coming a mile away), but a solid enough film that it really didn't bother me.
    Batman Begins - The best live-action superhero movie I've seen and, for me, the definitive film version of the character. I had a few science nitpicks (like various people, with 70% water in their bodies, standing right beside the machine that violently vaporizes water), but the story holds up and the characters were well-written. The acting was also quite good and the players were clearly taking the movie seriously. Holmes was a low point, obviously included just to give the film some estrogen content (and using Harvey Dent in place of her character would have fit better), but wasn't much of a distraction for me.
    Batman: Mask of the Phantasm - Should have done better at the theatres. Great story, shedding some light on the past of Bruce Wayne/Batman and introducing a potential new foil (who never really showed up again until JLU/Batman Beyond). The animation was excellent as well and this is probably my favorite animated super-hero film. Only gripe I have is the origin of the Joker presented doesn't quite mesh with hints at the Joker's past provided in the series.
    Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker - I hadn't seen any Batman Beyond before watching this and was worried it would be hard to get into because of that. However, the movie does a great job explaining what needs to be explained and there's little past knowledge of the series required (BTAS knowledge helps, though). The dialogue, writing, animation and action were all great and the level of mature content was surprising. My only complaints are that they didn't use the 'red herring' character effectively and the dance club scene felt tacked on.
    The Incredibles - Not based on a comic, but it's about superheroes, so I'm including it. My favorite Pixar production and a movie that just works on every level. The extras on the DVD are also a blast, although I have yet to listen to the full-length commentary.

Honourable mentions (not good enough for the main list, but I liked them) - Superman Returns, TMNT 1, TMNT 2, Crow 1, Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman, Blade 1, Mystery Men, Virus, X-Men 3, The Shadow.

6. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

It's so hard to just randomly pick a top 10. I'll give this some thought and get back to you.

7. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Spider-Man
    Spider-Man 2
    Batman (WB, 1980s)
    Superman
    Superman II
    X2: Mutants United
    Hellboy
    Sin City
    Batman Begins
    V for Vendetta

Honorable Mentions: Road to Perdition, The Rocketeer

No particular order. I took the list, cut the dead weight and was down to like 16-17, cut some more that were damn good and the two HMs were the absolute last ones I had a hard time letting go. Haven't seen Superman Returns yet, but with my lack of enthusiasm and the lukewarm reception, it's doubtful it's going to knock off any of the above. Spider-Man 3 on the other hand...look out Hellboy.

Spider-Man 1 & 2 - I just fuckin' love Spider Man. Always been my favorite comic character since I was like 4-5. More than Superman, more than Batman...just forget about it. First movie hits some bumps, but fanboy whinings like the Goblin costume and organic web shooters aren't among them. 2 hits fewer and is an overall better movie.

Superman III and IV, along with Batman Forever and B&R deserve to be expunged from human history. Batman Returns made the initial cut and if not for being pleasantly surprised by Batman Begins, probably would have made the list. Superman I and II...simply too iconic. The first serious stab at any comic movie and probably for many about my age, the first one we saw, period. Reeve = Superman. Stamp = Zod. End of story. STFU. Hackman as goofy over-the-top Lex hasn't aged well, but what'cha gonna do? The '80s hadn't happened yet.

But they did. And they gave us Miller's Dark Knight, which yielded Burton's Batman. I watched the crap out of the '60s TV show, but it's certainly not something to be taken seriously, or at all much past the age of 6. I read the occasional Batman book, but read Dark Knight at 9-10 and was like :sly: . Burton's movie comes along with Nicholson in a role he was born to play at least as much as Randle McMurphy and is 'officially' the Best Comic Movie Evar until Spider-Man threw down the gauntlet. Batman Returns wasn't quiiite as good IMO, but Batman Begins, which I was dubious about going in, was damn near flawless as a movie first, a Batman/comic movie second. I was dubious about it, and angry that the franchise even needed a reboot, solely because Shumacher's were dogshit. I went because of the names attached: Nolan, Bale, Caine, Freeman, Neeson...Jesus Fuckin' Christ!

Still love the first X-men movie, but it is kinda clunky. X3 was fun as hell, but X2 clearly stands out, like BB, as a good movie, period, 'comic movie' second.

I never got heavy into the Hellboy books, but thoroughly enjoyed what I have read. del Toro got it right, Perlman was the perfect/only choice. Just top 10 material all around.

Sin City needs no explanation. You most likely either like the source material or you don't. Thematically, graphically, cinematically, stylistically, everyotherally, the movie is just awesome. Like trying to read the book while on acid. It's so different from a cinematic standpoint though that it almost deserves to be shunted off into it's own little category with A Scanner Darkly and a very short list of others, rather than be included in a list of 'comic book movies.'

V for Vendetta. While 'adaptation' probably ought to be italicized when used to compare it to the source material, I still fucking loved it. Going into detail as to why though would probably infringe on the 'no politics' rule.

8. GalvaTRION

My bad... I ended up saying "Superhero" instead of "Comic Book adaptations"... which was my intention.

I'll go ahead and say that they've got some major flaws. Especially the second one... the weird powers that make no sense, that big plastic expandy Superman symbol that caught one of the kryptonians... yeeegh. BUT, the reason I LIKE the movie has to do mostly with the initial fight with the three kryptonians.

I think they did a lot right... but I'll definately say that they haven't aged well.

YES, YES! I can't frickin' STAND Kirsten Dunst. And I'm not particularly happy with Tobey Maguire either, but he's at least servicable. Better than getting Leonardo DiCaprio, like James Cameron wanted.

Alba as Sue really pissed me off to no end. Also of note, she was the only completely wrong casting choice in all of Sin City, and the decision they made to have her on and that she made to not go naked really destroyed the impact of Hartigan seeing her after all that time.

Awesome movie, very upset that this turned out to be a better Fantastic Four movie than the actual Fantastic Four movie. (also pissed off that I've heard people say that FF was ripping off of Incredibles! What the hell!?)

9. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    While Dunst and Maguire definitely aren't the best acting units produced by Hollywood, a lot of the problem I had with the Peter and MJ characters was in the dialogue and the way they (and their scenes) were written. I don't think even the best actor/actress in the world would have been able to make Peter/MJ less annoying within the confines of that script, although more skilled performers might have taken the edge off a little. Actors can only do so much when the writing is weak.

On the other hand, Alba's performance in FF was just bad. The writing wasn't that great on FF either, but there were numerous lines that would have worked a lot better if delivered by someone else. For instance the "Sue, let's not fight..."/"No...let's!" exchange; it's a bit corny, but a good actress could have made the comeback sound badass. Alba's intonation on the response, on the other hand, would have sounded appropriate (maybe) if someone had suggested not going to the mall.

10. GalvaTRION

Also true.

11. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    one name: alex baldwin.

THE PHANTOM!

slam evil, yo.

12. Aberration

Aberration Templar Rodimus

News Credits:
    I'm not sure which movie you're referring to here.

Alec Baldwin starred in a big screen adaptation of The Shadow. Haven't seen it.

Billy Zane played the purple-suited jungle hero The Phantom. Wasn't a bad movie, but all that talking to his ghost-dad was weird for me.

13. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    ah crap. i mixed up the 2 movies. my bad.

-.-"

14. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

I'm going to say "From Hell", but only because I've always had an odd fascination with Jack the ripper.

15. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Very interesting choices but IMO Batman Begins should have made the list. And yeah, Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker was quite decent. Friends who were not into cartoons or anime were also impressed by that one.

16. GalvaTRION

It's been WAYYYYYY too long since I've seen the Phantom or the Shadow, but memories from years gone by aren't casting a favorable light on either.

Well, again, it didn't feel "Batman" enough to me. Mask of the Phantasm got it absolutely damn right, and I think that Begins was close, but had too many problems for me to fully enjoy it.

17. Random Autobot

Random Autobot Soviet Kanukistani

10. Hellboy
    9. Superman (1978)
    8. Batman (1989 - only to acknowledge Nicholson's performance)(
    7. Superman Returns
    6. X-Men
    5. Ghost World
    4. American Splendor
    3. X2
    2. Batman Begins
    1. Sin City - The greatest comic adaptation ever done, hands down. Batman Begins comes closest, and is still nowhere near it.

18. Frank Horrigan

Frank Horrigan YAR! I be posting!

You missed A History of Violence by the way....not that I thought it was very good, but it is a comic book movie.

19. GalvaTRION

AHG, yes, I forgot that one. Personally thought HOV was damn good. And the most "normal" movie Cronenberg's ever made, to boot! No penis or vagina monsters, he's growing up as a film maker finally!

EDIT: American Spleandor was really good, too. Need to see if I put that on the list...

20. King Starscream

King Starscream <b><font color=blue>The Royal Seeker</font></b> Veteran

News Credits:
    You forgot the Captain America movie with an Italian Red Skull in your list.

Anyway, the best comic book adaptation movies are as follows:

Batman Begins This how Batman should have been done to begin with. I still like the Tim Burton movies, but they're too . . . Burton-like. And I won't even touch the Schumacher movies with a 10 foot pole. Christian Bale fit the role well as both billionaire pretty boy Bruce Wayne and as 'make you shit in your pants from fear' Batman. Probably the best scene is when Bats is stringing up Gordon's corrupt partner. The partner upside down and scared shitless, says, 'I swear to God!' And Bale in what has to be the scariest Batman voice I've heard goes, 'Swear to ME!' Michael Caine and Liam Neeson do well in their roles as Alfred and Ducard/Ra's Al Ghul respectively. The only downside is it probably could have done without Katie Holmes.

X2: X-Men United One of the few cases where a sequel is much better than the original. There's too many good things to mention. Nightcrawler's assassination attempt. Wolverine cutting loose on Stryker's troops in the mansion. Magneto breaking out of prison. Wolverine and Deathstrike. The airplane chase. Though probably the scene stealer is Mystique. Even though it wasn't entirely Rebecca Romijn's acting, together all the actors truly brought her character to life. It's a pity it was followed up by the cheesiness that was X-3.

Spiderman 2 This one really hit the essence of Spiderman: A guy doing the right thing despite a storm of bad things happening to him. Unlike the first film, the main villain was one that was multidimensional as opposed to ridiculously evil. Raimey does a great job of capturing some elements of the comic book like when Spiderman dumps his costume in a trash bin. A great homage to a great Spiderman cover. I think the best scenes of the whole movie was when he got his powers back and when he uses everything he has to stop the train.

Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker I didn't even think Warner Bros. had it in them to make such a 'family' movie. You get some nostalgia with some BTAS love as well as one hell of a backstory. Some good fight scenes with the Jokers and the Robin/Joker. And some great character growth with Terry outtalking the Joker and beating him at his own game. It's the only direct-to-video movie that I own.