The Best Generation

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Prowl, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Here's one for discussion. What game generation was your favorite?

I would normally say PS1 and PS2 because of the Final Fantasies Metal Gears, and hours and hours of Timesplitters, Grand Theft Auto, Grand Turismo, but I really think that my fondest memories come from Genesis, hands down.

From Phantasy Star 2-4, Vermillion, Space Harrier 2, Afterburner, Shinobi 3, Golden Axe Parties, Shining forces, Shining in the Darkness, Earthworm Jim Aladdin, Monaco GP, Ghouls and Ghosts, Strider, the Strike series (Jungle Strike etc), Starflight (Mini Mass Effect), Gunstar heroes, Dungeons and Dragons Warriors of the Eternal Sun and so many others that I can't even think of. The Genesis days easily beat out any other generation for me.

2. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    Mega drvie (genesis) was my first consol and I hade so much fun with that and it has an incredible game list. The SNES is at the same level and even though grapics are way better due to better consols the SNES and Genesis era in the early 90s to mid 90s are a great era for all players worldwide. To bad youg ppl today dont appreciate it more because sometimes then fun and gamplay cant be achived today and everything is about who can produce the best graphics.

Long live the SNES/Genesis era in the 90s.

3. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

The era of Nintendo, Game Boy, and Sega Genesis, as they all remind me of great times playing with friends and being a kid.

4. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

most people will probably answer with the generation that gives them the fondest memories from childhood. i'd have to go with the nes generation overall myself.

5. Jarradtron21

Jarradtron21 OhOhOh it vibrates

I had to agree the Genesis (Or Mega Drive as it was called over here) was heaps of fun...i remember when Sonic 2 came out and the video stores and machines you could play on....and there was a huge line up for like 2 weeks to try sonic.

Great memories of NBA Jam and Earthworm Jim as well

6. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

ps2. one of the best consoles ever imo, so many games, and it lasted for years.

however the mega drive will alsways have a spot in my heart as it was my first console.

7. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Dreamcast, motherfuckers.

Never forget.

8. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    NES or Dreamcast.

Those two systems gave me the most gaming, but the 360 is quickly attempting to catch up.

9. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not really, I had some great memories with PS2 and N64 (Mario Kart FTW), but I think the games that had the most spirit and love put into them (not the "Me too" FPS mentality of the current Gen. I know a lot of games back them could be chalked up to being "me too" platfomers, but there was a lot of attention made to design and doing what you could with the limitations you had. I still have yet to play a game as cool as Gunstar Heroes that pushes the system.

Nes I definitely have to say has a lot to do with Memories because I tried playing some VC games and I could not sit through them, but I have plugged in some Genesis games and I can still play through most of them.

10. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I never had more fun with games and friends than I did with the Atari 2600, but I wouldn't call it the "best generation" by any means.

11. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Dude, the days before the internet (not that Nes and Genesis were during thw WWW days), but I remember playing Raiders of the Lost Ark (a kinda Action Adventure game of its time) and whereas now we check online for hints and cheats, I had to ask around the schoolyard for hints on how to get past certain parts of the game. There were no townspeople during the atari days.

12. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    This is a hard one to call.

I had a lot of fun with family and friends with the Atari 2600 (actually ours said "Sears" on it and had a cool wood grain finish).
    In middle school I was part of the 1337 guard that had a Commodore 64.
    We had good times exchanging copies of Archon, Ultima, Mail Order Monsters, Bard's Tale.
    The Dreamcast has a bittersweet spot in my heart.
    The console was so far ahead of its time and had a better good\bad game ratio in its library than any system I have ever seen.

However, I would probably have to go with Genesis as "the best".
    I just seemed to enjoy everything about that console more.

However, I think in a few years I may answer this question with the Xbox 360.
    The software lineup is impressive, and it is the first system that has actually helped me to stay in touch with friends and family.

13. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well and the 360 provided us with some modern Genesis goodness yesterday. To bad we couldn't beat the damn game, hehe.

14. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    We might have been able to beat the game if I didn't hit you so much.

15. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    The answer can be very complex: If I want to name it by the amount of time that I spent playing games late in the night, it would be PS1.

If I rated it by the feeling of joy of playing them and talking to friends of who's better, it would be Genesis and SNES.

Now if I rated it by the flexibility of being able to purchase what I want, it would be PS2 to present.

16. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hahah, we don't do that much damage to ourselves, I think I was just putzing around too much. I need to find the cheat code to get two Axel characters at the same time. Much owenage there.

17. Bendimus Prime

Bendimus Prime Rolls for initiative TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm disappointed that I'm the first one to quote this. Dreamcast for life yo.

18. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I think the first time I actually had or attended video game parties was with the N64. I had been to plenty of parties as a kid where we played video games, but it wasn't the sole focus. Mario Kart, Tennis, Party, hell even Shadows of the Empire created a unique atmosphere.

Playstation also exploded on the scene, and Sega Saturn, as flawed as it ultimately was, had me excited.

So 5th generation wins for me.

19. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    SNES I had like 80 games for it. I blame it for my video game addiction.

20. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

How do I explain generations when it comes to PC gaming? By operating systems?

My very 1st console system was the Xbox, I was on PC years before that.

I guess for me it was around when games migrated from MS-DOS to Windows 95. Like, you had a mix of games that you could play in DOS and in Windows 95. That was also around when Origin Entertainment was totally kicking ass. They got Wing Commander 4, Crusader: No Remorse and Privateer 2: The Darkening. I got to experience Daggerfall which was the 1st RPG I really got to enjoy. Dont have time to explain more right now.